Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Last night, new Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Last night, new Camaro SS

Last night I went to a popular rice hang out because I heard some people were talking ****. So I went over there to see what was up. Upon arriving, I was called out by some young guy in a new black SS camaro. He said he does not run unless it’s for money and then popped his hood. After verifying that it was stock I asked how much he wanted to run for and he said something like “how much do YOU want to run for?” I smiled and said, “probably too much.” He said just through a number out there so I said 200? He then said he wanted more like 50. He said he will only run from a dig. He wanted to then look at my car and under the hood. I told him then that I understand if he doesn’t want to run me for money but he quickly said something to the effect that he had nothing to worry about and there wasn’t even going to be a need for him to go to an ATM afterwards. Cocky little guy… We agreed and drove to mexico. To put it mildly, I drove my car very softly. Half throttle in first and then opened it up about half way in second gear. By the time I hit 4th, I could hardly see his car in my mirrors. This was by far some of the easiest money I have ever made! I'm not posting this because it's some badass win for me and my car, just to share how ignorant some people can be. I do give this guy props for not backing down after he challenged someone and also for not running away after he got beat.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

So what was his reaction after? Did he gain a healthy respect for Cobras?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

daddy prolly bought him his first car and he thought it was fast because he didn't have anything else to compare it to...looks like he learned a valuable lesson...hopefully
Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Some people just have no concept of what fast really is. Nice Kill. I love shutting up the cocky ones.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by viper1
So what was his reaction after? Did he gain a healthy respect for Cobras?
He was cool afterwards which was not what I expected. He was like "you drug my ***!" I think he gained more of an understanding not to run his mouth when he doesn't what he's running.

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
daddy prolly bought him his first car and he thought it was fast because he didn't have anything else to compare it to...looks like he learned a valuable lesson...hopefully
Yes, that's pretty much what happened I'm sure. I told him afterwards that he seemed cool after the race, I told him to not be so cocky about things he knew little about.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Good kill! What are the mods on your Cobra?

Not sure why he'd be so confident. I can say that, after test driving a new SS, they definitely don't feel as fast as they are. I think a few people have hit a 12.99 or so, and they don't feel that fast at all.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Respect! Nice kill man. Its always fun shutting down the cocky ones. Its good that he was cool about it though.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill! What are the mods on your Cobra?

Not sure why he'd be so confident. I can say that, after test driving a new SS, they definitely don't feel as fast as they are. I think a few people have hit a 12.99 or so, and they don't feel that fast at all.
My car made 480/470. Planning on running high 6's in the 1/8. Upper pulley only, self-ported blower, full bolt-ons and supporting mods.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Solid numbers! Any weight reduction? High 6's are gonna be a tall order, but definitely not out of the question with the right supporting mods and driving.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Gotta love those little to no cost Cobras putting out some sick power. Im not a Ford guy, but Id rock a 03 Cobra. Good kill man!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill on the cocky dumbass
Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AaronK
My car made 480/470. Planning on running high 6's in the 1/8. Upper pulley only, self-ported blower, full bolt-ons and supporting mods.
nice kill

MTI clear lid ,Kook 1 7/8 LT header, Magnaflow cat back, sub frame connector, trans cooler, 160 thermostat, DMH electric cut out, Comp Cam 230 234, Magnacharger supercharged with water methanol injection tune by TTP Performance.... 530 RwHP-531 RWTQ.

2001 WS6 Transam convertible
Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Solid numbers! Any weight reduction? High 6's are gonna be a tall order, but definitely not out of the question with the right supporting mods and driving.
Not much, about 100lbs worth give or take. It ran 7.2 on drag radials when I was making 441/431. One thing to say about my car though is that it runs much stronger than the numbers dictate (dyno numbers don't mean crap)

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Gotta love those little to no cost Cobras putting out some sick power. Im not a Ford guy, but Id rock a 03 Cobra. Good kill man!
Easy now, they don't cost much until they break. Your standard bolt on cobra making mid 400s is not very expensive, but when they break, the $$$ issue comes alive. There's also roughly a 500hp-ish limit before you have to start spending some serious cash to exceed. I guess the same things can be said for other cars, I did buy this car (years ago) thinking it was going to be a cheap power maker, it was for a while... not anymore though.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Not much, about 100lbs worth give or take. It ran 7.2 on drag radials when I was making 441/431. One thing to say about my car though is that it runs much stronger than the numbers dictate (dyno numbers don't mean crap)

Easy now, they don't cost much until they break. Your standard bolt on cobra making mid 400s is not very expensive, but when they break, the $$$ issue comes alive. There's also roughly a 500hp-ish limit before you have to start spending some serious cash to exceed. I guess the same things can be said for other cars, I did buy this car (years ago) thinking it was going to be a cheap power maker, it was for a while... not anymore though.
doesnt matter what u drive,when they break money issue.

MTI clear lid ,Kook 1 7/8 LT header, Magnaflow cat back, sub frame connector, trans cooler, 160 thermostat, DMH electric cut out, Comp Cam 230 234, Magnacharger supercharged with water methanol injection tune by TTP Performance.... 530 RwHP-531 RWTQ.

2001 WS6 Transam convertible
Old 10-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Great numbers! I do have to disagree with the statement that dyno numbers don't mean anything. People love to say that, but if you have all the other important info then the dyno numbers definitely mean something...just don't live or die by them, haha.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Great numbers! I do have to disagree with the statement that dyno numbers don't mean anything. People love to say that, but if you have all the other important info then the dyno numbers definitely mean something...just don't live or die by them, haha.
Nah, the numbers themselves are really only relevant to tuning on the dyno. If it says I put down 200rwhp and then I changed the pulley and it made 220rwhp then I know the differences in relation to the previous numbers. Comparing two cars dyno results are not a very accurate way to decide who might/will win a race. Too many variables: type of dyno, type of correction, temperature, what type of power adder (if any), load on the dyno (for dynos such as mustang dynos) etc... I do not get into the numbers game of I make X hp and weigh X weight, therefore I should run X time and beat X car.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Like I said, if you have all of the important inf then they mean something. If someone just takes the dyno numbers and tries to compare it to another car's random dyno numbers then they'll probably be in for a suprise.

If they truely meant nothing then you would see one car making 400 rwhp and running an 11.8 and then another car (same type of car) with a similar setup making 200 rwhp on the same dyno and have it also run 11.8. Chances are that if one makes 200 then they'll all be in that range on that dyno with a close setup.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Good kill man. The cocky ones are the very best feeling, right next to cocky ones with gf in car
Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Good kill! I think its the first post ever where the loser doesnt run away after racing for money. Props to the kid too!!

Strong cobra you got there!!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

First I'd like to say Good Kill OP. Now screamin I will tell you with absolute certainty dyno numbers don't mean ****. My car dyno'ed 360 RWHP. I've skulldrug plenty of cars that dynoed more, not the same dyno. On a dyno from a popular shop I'm sure I'd dyno over 400 but I wasn't looking for a number, I was looking for a good tune and a safe AF ratio. I have had guys laugh when I told them my dyno numbers right before I took their money and made their claim of 430 to the tire sound retarded. My car is a vert so its not light and I have made no effort to change it. My car isn't fast at all but it holds its own against the dyno chasers.