Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

cam/spray 2002 Z28 vs. 522 whp 2006 Evo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam/spray 2002 Z28 vs. 522 whp 2006 Evo

Well, I finally got my clutch situation all straightened out and gear changes are as good as they've ever been. PSM and I decided to head out a couple weeks ago and try to find something to play with since I haven't had many good races on the spray (it seems like every car I find is either not worth spraying against, or would just blow my doors in).

We cruised around for a bit, but there had been reports that it was going to rain at some point, so there wasn't alot out. We ended up seeing a yellow 2005+ GT and an older (196x) fastback cruising around and they both sounded very good. At one point I was passing them and they revved it up as they pulled into a parking lot. I figured we didn't have anywhere to be and the place had to be closing in like 10 minutes so we spun around and I parked next to them and we waited. After a bit one came out and started talking to us. He owned the 2005 and said it had very basic bolt-ons. Seemed like a cool guy. After a couple minutes the other three guys come out and one walked right up to the passenger's side of my car and pulls out his wallet and says, "do you want to race for money right now?" Without missing a beat PSM said, "yeah, how much you want to bet?" The kid kind of got an "oh ****" look on his face and then asked if my car was an LS1. I told him yes and he said that maybe he had spoken too soon, haha. We chatted a bit and once they found out I made 400 rwhp on motor they didn't want any. He said the fastback had a built 306 and said they expected around 340 rwhp from it. I figure it would take a pretty nasty 306 to make those numbers and those kids were pretty young so it was probably just wishful thinking, but I guess anything's possible.

After that non-event we cruised a bit more and followed a new GT-R for about 4 miles until the highway started and then he looked at us like he was interested and then turned off...figures.

It wa starting to get late and I figured we wouldn't find anything, but we ran into SlowSho. He pointed out a white Evo and said his friend knew the kid and it made like 500 hp and asked if I'd be interested. I said sure and they got the kid over. The kid was real cool and asked if we wanted to run them. I said sure, I was looking for a friendly race and he asked what I had done. I told him (cam, bolt-ons, 4.10's, and a 100 shot). PSM asked him what he had and he started listing things off, but I told him not to bother since I didn't know what it all meant anyway. He laughed and said, "fair enough." I guess it ended up being bolt-ons, intercooler, and an aftermarket turbo pushing around 32 psi. He told me after that he put down 522 to the ground. He said he wanted to go from a 2nd gear roll, which I said was fine. I told him that I had no problem with a dig (I know how the AWD guys are, haha), but he said he wasn't gonna break his car over a friendly race.

As PSM and I walked to my car one of the gusy told me not to mess around because he thought the Evo made like 550 to the ground. I figured I was about to get smashed since I probably make around 500 on the spray, plus my car is heavier and I had a passenger, but it's all good as long as everyone is cool.

I told him to let me get a burnout in so I didn't go sideways into his car (I was on my Nittos).

We lined up at about 40 mph and I think I was at about 4000 rpm in second. I had the bottle pressure up to around 950 psi and he honked it off. We both hit it and I jumped out by about a fender as the nitrous hit HARD but the tires held traction. He started creeping very slightly towards the top of second, but then we shifted and I jumped a bit on him. Again he started creeping at the top of 3rd, but on the shift I pulled out a little more. By the top of 4th I had about 1/2 a car on him when we let out. I was stoked to get such a good run and was very suprised at the win.

We got off the highway and went to spin around, but at the light the dude got out and did something under his hood. I figured he was either gonna tell me that something was wrong with his car or he had a manual boost controller or something and was upping the boost for another run.

We jumped back on and lined up again at the same 40ish mph in 2nd gear. He honked it off again and we both hit it. Once again my nitrous hit like a hammer and catapaulted my car ahead by a fender. Our cars seemed about even at the top of second with me a fender ahead, but one noe pulling. I slammed 3rd and the tires tickled the pavement a bit as they lost triction for a split second and then hooked again. I crept out a bit more and then slammed 4th where I crept out to about 3/4 of a car and then we shut it down. Another excellent race!

We went back to the hangout and he walked right up and said, "good runs, that car is fast as hell!" and shook my hand. I told him the same and that his car pulled really hard. I told him I was very happy to get a good race and that it was by far my best nitrous race to date. I asked what it was putting down and he told me 522 to the ground. We chatted it up for a bit after and he was a real cool guy.

After the race when the guys that were hanging out in the parking lot heard about the results of the race I must have had 5 guys come up to me and tell me about some "badass" car that they were currently building, haha. Before the race I must have pulled through that parking lot 3 times and gotten out to check out the cars, but no one would even give me the time of day

Overall it made the whole night worth it and was some much needed fun after all of the clutch problems I've been having. Next time one I'll have to swap on my 28" MT drag radials and skinnies and see if I can hammer some cars from a stoplight
Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cliffs? video??
Old 10-15-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, you need to break that down into chapters. Those were definitely some fun runs and the closest I've been in in a LONG time. Nitrous FTMFW!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by chavez885
cliffs? video??
There is a video, but my face is in it, so I won't be posting it unless it can be edited first.

As for Cliff's notes, I didn't spend all that time retelling the story for everyone to skip it and just read the highlights of it, haha. If people don't want to read it they can skip the thread
Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Nice kill and write up!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
There is a video, but my face is in it, so I won't be posting it unless it can be edited first.
Good idea. You break my monitor and you are paying for a new one!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Haha, unless your monitor is brand new then it's already battle hardened from reflecting your ugly mug
Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

come to rhode island dude, the action out here stinks, all talk and no race lol.

i shouldnt talk though because i dont race much either... lol.

nice kill.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Ahahahaha!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

Oo! I was there!

I said to my friend, who knows just about everyone that hangs out there, "What's the fastest car in the parking lot?" He says to me "The white Evo".

After the race I asked him why he lied to me.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Oo! I was there!

I said to my friend, who knows just about everyone that hangs out there, "What's the fastest car in the parking lot?" He says to me "The white Evo".

HA! That is freakin awesome.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet story
Old 10-15-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

nice kill man
Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by stumprrp
come to rhode island dude, the action out here stinks, all talk and no race lol.

i shouldnt talk though because i dont race much either... lol.

nice kill.
I don't know how some of the guys on here stand it that live in the middle of nowhere and get no race action whatsoever due to a lack of cars on the area. Looks like a nice setup you have there for sure!

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Oo! I was there!

That's funny! I heard you got the Regal all tuned up, so once the weather clears up we'll have to line it up against the G8. We can get it on video and then make a nice before/after vid so you can really see how the tune worked out.

I also have a rematch against the STI that I beat a while back in the G8. It was a real close race when he only had a catback, but now he's got a couple more things done and said he should be making about 40 more whp. I'm sure he'll beat me good, but it should make for a nice before/after video with his new mods.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

Yeah, the tune is as good as it's gonna get. I went from 10.0 AFR's to 11.5 AFR's, but I sacrificed a few degrees of timing. I think my pulley is too small, so I ordered a couple bigger ones to try out.

I THINK it's faster than it was, but who really knows lol
Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 PM

If you want to mess with it sometime I have a G-Tech we could play with. Not the best for accurate 1/4 mile times, but it's consistent and will tell you if you gained or lost if run on the same road on the same night.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

If you want to mess with it sometime I have a G-Tech we could play with. Not the best for accurate 1/4 mile times, but it's consistent and will tell you if you gained or lost if run on the same road on the same night.
Sweet, my yardstick has been my friends stock turbo Cobalt lol.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 AM

Is the Cobalt stock? How's your car do against it?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Don't make me bring out the Fit and put you all to shame!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned

Is the Cobalt stock? How's your car do against it?
Yeah, we're dead even now. I beat him when he first got the car, I'm not sure he knew how to drive it. After my "base tune" (dumping fuel to kill knock) he would get me by a car or two. After my more elaborate tune with the wideband we're now pretty much even, except I murder him from 1st gear lol