Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Big Brother Smackdown: Audi S4 schools a RS4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Big Brother Smackdown: Audi S4 schools a RS4

Cliffs Notes: Heavily Modded S4 pulls on a BMW 135i, neck n neck with my GTO: Then takes out a RS4 that tried to stand up for him against me...

In Seattle, the ubiquitious Audi S4 2.0T & 3.0T are a dime a dozen: must pass 30+ on the freeway every day. So when a BMW 135i cruises up in the fast lane and then matches my speed, I get really annoyed when the innocuous little silver 3.0T Audi that was following me jumps over between us: blocking me in temporarily. I can't see the Audi driver, but I do see the head nod of the BMW driver a split second before brown smoke shoots out his exhaust as he nails it! He jumps a fender, maybe: and thats all he gets as the S-4 amazingly reels him in and puts nearly a car on him up to maybe 100mph then brakes for traffic. The 135i drops into the slow lane and steps out of the ring.

I soon get abreast of the S-4, making eye contact and then pointing at his engine bay and shaking my head dissapprovingly, eliciting a hardy laugh outta the 20 'sumthing white guy driving it. We do a run: 60-120ish and we were neck and neck, trading inches at each gear shift! I love that ****!!

We slowed as a result of a handful of cars ahead, one of which turns out to be a RS-4. I know those things are supposed to be roughly equivelant to a stock '05 GTO, so I'm not worried, just curious as he follows us to the head of the pack with another 1/4mile plus of clear road ahead. Instead of going 3 abreast (4 lanes plus a carpool lane in that area) he drops behind the S-4 in the left lane and flashes his lights a few times as if to say "Let me take care of this guy for you brother".

S-4 guy and I make eye contact, SEG's on both our faces. I shake my head "No", and point at him then the RS4, then put my blinker on and move one more lane to the right. The 'RS' jumps into my spot and tries to fly by the 'S'... and fails! Both WOT & Door to door for a few seconds, then the 'S' starts his pull. There run seems to go on forever: I'm doing 100mph and they are fading from sight! The kill was epic: by what had to be a minimum of 160mph the 'S' had at least a dozen cars on the 'RS', who refused to give up his attempted show of Audi dominance until he hit his speed limiter I think.

Postcript: Never saw the S-4 again, but did catch up to the RS-4 driver a few miles later: Guy looked EXACTLY, 100%, like the actor Jack Coleman from the series Heroes, horned rim glasses, business suit, jackass attitude and all: typing on his laptop while talking on a blue tooth while driving in traffic. A true deutsch bag. I was going to give him a thumbs up for at least running until I saw that idiocy...
Old 10-23-2009, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atleast you didn't let the S outrun you..sounds like a fun time
Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 PM

Looks like some fun racing. I was suprised when I finally looked up the specs on those 135i's. They're alot faster than I expected them to be.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Just to clear a couple things up...
The Audi S4 was never offered with a 2.0T, that's the plain A4.
The older Audi S4 came with a 2.7L bi-T though.
By 3.0T do you mean the brand new Supercharged 3.0l Audi S4?
There is no 3.0l turbo Audi engine at all...(except for their 3.0 TDI diesel)

Either way, nice kills.
I'd be interested to know if it's a brand new SC 3.0 Audi S4. Those things aren't that quick stock, but it would be interesting to know if they are responding well to mods.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 10-24-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Just to clear a couple things up...
The Audi S4 was never offered with a 2.0T, that's the plain A4.
The older Audi S4 came with a 2.7L bi-T though.
By 3.0T do you mean the brand new Supercharged 3.0l Audi S4?
There is no 3.0l turbo Audi engine at all...(except for their 3.0 TDI diesel)

Either way, nice kills.
I'd be interested to know if it's a brand new SC 3.0 Audi S4. Those things aren't that quick stock, but it would be interesting to know if they are responding well to mods.
A4, S4, all look the same! Didn't even know they had two different versions: could have been either one, but it was the 3.0T. "T" in this case does not denote Turbo: it's a roots style Eaton charger sitting under the V6's intake manifold in the cam valley according to Motor Trend.

Had what I assume was the same RS-4 follow me off the freeway and 5 miles down some busy sideroads that were full of traffic: he never got next to me so I could ID the driver, just followed my bumper as I cut n weaved through the sea of minivans and SUV's until he turned off into a housing area.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 10-24-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

OK, appears only the S4 gets the 3.0T engine: the A4 gets the 2.0T only. The S4 and A4 are the same car: the "S" is just the sport version. This is from a different Motor Trend article I just found:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

"Traditionally for Audi, the "T" in a badge has represented a turbocharger. But in the case of the new S4, it stands for an Eaton Roots-type supercharger replete with two four-vane rotary pistons and maximum boost of 11.6 psi.

Not only does the Audi blower -- similar to the units Eaton supplies to GM for the Corvette ZR1 and Cadillac CTS-V -- help the S4's direct-injected 3.0-liter V-6 crank out 333 linear horsepower at 5500 rpm and 325 progressive pound-feet at 2900, but it does so without the shrilling whine normally associated with superchargers. In fact, only under wide-open throttle does a faint hum emanate into the cabin."

Sounds to me, GASP!, that the Audi is a AWD version of the Pontiac GTP 3800-- with worse gas mileage. hahaha I can just see them bavarians cringing as they read this post...
Old 10-24-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

NO... It is not a 3.0T.
The t is only accompanied by the 2.0, for a 2.0t badge.
The Supercharged 3.0l engine is a TFSI, not a 3.0T.
Even the article you posted calls it a 3.0 TFSI.
Even so, there are no 3.0T badges on an Audi S4, just S4 badges...
Old 10-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Discerning, I see them every stinking day. Dozens of the 3.0T's. Don't tell me what is or isnt! Look it up.

Edit: damn its hard to find a 3.0 badge. The A6 has them as 3.0T (same engine, tuned for torque):

Gotta go, will look a bit longer tomorrow. I know for a fact that it was a 3.0T because I had to get real close to his *** end to read it: the 2.0T and 3.0T badges look identical and are hard to tell apart on the road. Maybe it was a A6? Didn't even know they made a A6: never really payed any attention to Audi's cars before...

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 10-24-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

That's idiotic that they have 3.0T badges on the Audi A6.
The S4 though, does not have any 3.0T badges...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The s4 has no badges on the back except for the s4 badge correct? Only the a models say 1.8t 2.0t 3.0t 3.2 4.2 whatever
Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cyris0014
The s4 has no badges on the back except for the s4 badge correct? Only the a models say 1.8t 2.0t 3.0t 3.2 4.2 whatever
Correct.

All the S (S4, S6, etc.) and RS (RS4, RS6) models don't have engine badges.

It's irrelevant though I guess.
I just wasn't sure what the OP was talking about.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

well the s4 and rs4 have v8 badges on the side, just not the rear like you guys mentioned.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/s..._6755Large.jpg

i dont think the 3.0t s4's are available to the market yet.... but i could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Big Brother Smackdown: Audi S4 schools a RS4