Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My CL600 Benz vs Cammed C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My CL600 Benz vs Cammed C5 Z06

Well...this Saturday I went out hoping to run a freshly rebuilt FD RX7, but he broke it on Friday (anyone surprised? lol), so that was out. I was hanging out with some of the other folks, hoping for a race but wasn't sure who was down. After a while, someone hollered out how about the Benz against the Vette!? We agreed and set out to run. We agreed on two runs, first would be a 20 mph roll and the second would be a dig.

From a 20 mph roll I honked it off, spun a little, and jumped him a couple cars and kept pulling up to about 125ish where I let out of it several cars ahead.

With the dig, it was a little tougher. It was cold outside and we were both having issues spinning...but either way, on the third honk we both take off. He managed to get a pretty good launch and I managed to roast them. He jumped me by about a full car right off the bat while I spun. I finally caught traction and started reeling him in. I finally came around him at 95-100 and by 125 had him by a couple cars.

All in all, nothing spectacular, but a lot of folks were a little surprised at the big Benz holding it's own.

My car:
'03 CL600 - mostly stock with a dyno tune
Went 8.08 in the 1/8 stock - no real after tune numbers yet.

His car:
'03 Z06
MS3
No cats
Cut outs
CAI
Ported TB
Short throw shifter
-Has ran a best 7.8 in the 1/8

Last edited by FormulaZR; 11-30-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, can you get more specs on the Z06 setup? That Mercedes must be fast as hell to pull a few cars like that on a cammed C5 Z06. What are the specs on the Mercedes? I know it's a twin-turbo V12, right?

There's no reason that Z06 shouldn't be trapping low 120s or so if he's got supporting bolt-ons and a decent tune, even with a milder cam. I know the Mercedes is one heavy car but they always seem to overcome the power/weight you'd expect for some reason. Do they typically come underrated?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Damn, can you get more specs on the Z06 setup? That Mercedes must be fast as hell to pull a few cars like that on a cammed C5 Z06. What are the specs on the Mercedes? I know it's a twin-turbo V12, right?

There's no reason that Z06 shouldn't be trapping low 120s or so if he's got supporting bolt-ons and a decent tune, even with a milder cam. I know the Mercedes is one heavy car but they always seem to overcome the power/weight you'd expect for some reason. Do they typically come underrated?

I will try to get more specs on that Z06. I believe it has all bolt ons plus a cam. The tune isn't great, though, so there is more left in it.

But to answer your other question, yes the M275 (V12 TT) cars are under rated from the factory. The first graph is the stock dyno, and the second graph is after the dyno tune in Victoria, TX on Kurt's Mustang dyno. To give you an idea on the rating of the car...factory is rated at 493 hp and 590 tq.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, that thing picked up insane torque with the tune. I notice a lot of people get a RENNTECH tune on their AMG cars. Is that a big company with the Mercedes crowd? I also remember reading that AMG limited the torque for "driveability reasons" on some of the twin turbo cars but they claimed an 850+ rating was not an issue if they tuned it.

I love those AMG cars but don't read enough about them. Definitely let us know about the specs on the Z06. He should be well over 400 to the wheels with that setup and in a car that only weighs 3,100 pounds, he should have plenty to keep up with you since you're a solid 1,200-1,300 pounds heavier. That torque must negate some of the weight down low, though.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 11-30-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

wow over 110ftlbs and almost 50rwhp from just a tune. Granted on a turbo car a tune matters more, but still! You gotta be solidly into the 11's with that setup on good tires: hell, even on stock tires probably.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, that thing picked up insane torque with the tune. I notice a lot of people get a RENNTECH tune on their AMG cars. Is that a big company with the Mercedes crowd? I also remember reading that AMG limited the torque for "driveability reasons" on some of the twin turbo cars but they claimed an 850+ rating was not an issue if they tuned it.

I love those AMG cars but don't read enough about them. Definitely let us know about the specs on the Z06. He should be well over 400 to the wheels with that setup and in a car that only weighs 3,100 pounds, he should have plenty to keep up with you since you're a solid 1,200-1,300 pounds heavier. That torque must negate some of the weight down low, though.
Yes sir, I'm actually a non-AMG car (which means I have the 5.5L V12). The CL65 (AMG w/ 6L V12) is capable of 850+ rwtq with a tune...I have seen this in person on the same day my car was tuned. Yes, MB under rated and detuned the car from the factory. The CL600 is probably the most affected by this as it was actually a non-performance model and was the top of the line in '03. I say that, because being a non-perf car and a status symbol it was just not the market for a "difficult to drive" car, thus the lower power level.

RennTECH is, indeed, one of the go-to companies for aftermarket Benz. They have some of the most in depth R&D, customer service, and knowledge around. That being said, a lot of guys don't quite see the power gains promised by them...and they are spendy. LET/Eurocharged on the other hand is newer than Renntech, has even better customer service, VERY fair pricing, and has catered to me in a way I never dreamed would be possible on a car with such limited aftermarket. In my mind, LET/Eurocharged is leaps and bounds above Renntech...and, in the coming months my car will be in their hands for some more extensive modding (TCU programming, upgraded heat exchanger, upgrades TMICs, intake, exhaust, and a couple other little knick-knacks).

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
wow over 110ftlbs and almost 50rwhp from just a tune. Granted on a turbo car a tune matters more, but still! You gotta be solidly into the 11's with that setup on good tires: hell, even on stock tires probably.
Yes sir, I do believe I will be a solid 11 second car at this point. Totally stock I managed a 12.5 with a 3900' DA with a 1.85 60'.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 11-30-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

...and I haven't whored the pics of my car with the new wheels yet...so I'll put a couple up here just for the hell of it; please excuse the 3/4 ton look, that will be taken care of soon. (notice the car no longer has the V12 or CL600 emblems)

Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Definitely let us know about the specs on the Z06.

Z06 info added in the original post.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, nice job beating an MS3 C5Z...

What are those CL600's like as far as repair costs and reliability?
My dad wanted to get an S600 but he figured repair costs would be ridiculous.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Z06 info added in the original post.
Damn, I hope he gets it all tuned up right soon and you guys run again. With that setup, there's no reason he should be at LEAST low 120s. Any idea what your car traps?

Great kill.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Damn, nice job beating an MS3 C5Z...

What are those CL600's like as far as repair costs and reliability?
My dad wanted to get an S600 but he figured repair costs would be ridiculous.
Reliability is actually pretty good. The powertrains are fairly bulletproof. However, a couple of systems in the car are prone to have issues, the main one is the ABC (active body control) suspension. My car does not use a typical spring/shock setup, I have a fully hydraulic suspension. If this fails it can get somewhat expensive...about $1500 for a pump replacement, up to about $2500-4000 if more is wrong than just the pump. They also have A LOT of electrical systems on the car...and as is the nature with anything so complex, it can give you problems. They aren't hard to DIY on; but most Benz owners don't do the DIY stuff. My advice is to get an 04 or later...and make sure it's a CPO with remaining warranty. IF you get the '04+ with warranty, it will be a joy to own. The CPO cars aren't hard to find, and S/CL600 have come down a LOT in price.

PS - an S600 is the currenty M-B record holder with a 10.58 1/4 mile. That car has been absolutely bulletproof with the expection of one replacement differential (about $6500).

Damn, I hope he gets it all tuned up right soon and you guys run again. With that setup, there's no reason he should be at LEAST low 120s. Any idea what your car traps?

Great kill.
My car was trapping 115-116 when it was stock, I should be in the low-mid 120's at this point. Those numbers are based of my typical 3900' DA.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

I did not know those CL600's were that fast, god damn sexy!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post up some links and sites on benz performance? I WILL purchase one with my next vehicle purchase. Always wanted a v12 TT such as the amg-65's but the 600's seem to be very similar. They are def affordable and the CPO makes it something I wanna look in to.

id also love to see the mid 10's benz...got a link?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice car and good kill.

We need some vids of this beast.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
Can you post up some links and sites on benz performance? I WILL purchase one with my next vehicle purchase. Always wanted a v12 TT such as the amg-65's but the 600's seem to be very similar. They are def affordable and the CPO makes it something I wanna look in to.

id also love to see the mid 10's benz...got a link?
I'd start with mbworld.org it's an IB forum site also. There is an M275 (the V12 TT engine) section in the technical area. That site isn't nearly as "Tech-y" as here...but if you dig there's a lot of good info. The best guys to talk to are V12Godspeed, JayCL600, Oxygen, and Marco (I forgot his s/n)

As for 600 vs 65...they are close; but the 65 does have slightly different turbos (even though they are in the same housing) and an extra 30 cubic inches.

Here's a list of the quickest MBs...I believe it's somewhat outdated.

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Very nice car and good kill.

We need some vids of this beast.
Thanks! If all goes as planned I will have some daylight vids of it Sunday.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 12-03-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
Can you post up some links and sites on benz performance?
A assume the CL600 is the same as the SL600?

Here's a very usefull link that lists all the fastest obtained times of all the magazines for each car listed. The flashing yellow lights at there name denote bone stock cars with aftermarket tires: ie slicks or DR's.
http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm
Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
A assume the CL600 is the same as the SL600?

Here's a very usefull link that lists all the fastest obtained times of all the magazines for each car listed. The flashing yellow lights at there name denote bone stock cars with aftermarket tires: ie slicks or DR's.
http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm
They use the same powertrain, body is very different; great link!

Quick Reply: My CL600 Benz vs Cammed C5 Z06