Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Another big win!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another big win!!!

Just came back from Tampa and on the way there was a little long haired Asian kid in a black '06-'10 Honda Civic Si toying around with me. (Yes, I am Asian too, but prefer LS1 mullet mobiles!) Who knows, he was probably practicing for the next ricer movie, 5 Fast 5 Furious, ya never know... You know those little cars have got something the ricers are always proud of. Yeah, that's right, its the little rev happy, 9000 rpm capable K20Z motor that supposedly is rated at about 200 hp assuming you rev the **** out of it and hit VTEC. And yeah, of course, the urge to play along with those cars is quite irresistible.

So we were stopped at the a light in the middle of nowhere on U.S. 41 with nobody behind us and of course the expected happens. As usual, I tore that new Civic Si a new *******. I was easily 3 bus lengths ahead of him the moment we got off the line. I shut down at 100 mph and of course he had to make a point and fly by past me at like 110 mph like the little ricer he was.

We got caught at another light, of course, again, in the middle of nowhere. The second race was a little different. Was I supposed to be scared of what he was about to show me? I think not... I heard this "pfffffffffft" sound from his car. I looked over and it looked like he was trying to intimidate me with a little display of what looked to be a nitrous purge. Uhuh... Yeah... I was thinking to myself that the race was gonna be a lot closer and he could actually have a chance this time. I have to admit my heart started pounding... So he rolled down the window and was nodding his head as if he was trying to show me up. I smiled from ear to ear and revved my motor to about 4000 rpms to answer back his little 8000 rpm rev. A few seconds later, the light turns green and it looks like I was a little late on my launch from staring sideways too much. Oh ****, I guess I was a little distracted. Oh noes.... I accidentally gave him a 1 second head start... Off I go.... Within seconds, I start reeling in the ricer again and pass him once again. I shut down at 120 mph. I can sense that he had a little bit more power this time, but still not enough to overcome the almighty LS1 powered Camaro with a "supposedly lame automatic." And of course right after I shut down, he does another little flyby as if he was trying to "win" when the race has already been concluded. Haha!

98 Camaro: 2
06-10 Honda Civic Si: 0

Automatic LS1 Camaro FTW!!!

It is just kind of sad how these kids will go out with mom and dad's money and/or credit and go out and buy a brand new Civic Si worth anywhere from $16,000 - $23,000, try to modify it, and yet still get whooped on by a fairly stock automatic LS1 F-body with the stock cam and all. If I were to spend that kind of money, I would probably be in the low 10s or high 9s by now. It is just too bad that my 12 year old automatic LS1 Camaro worth about 5 grand, paid in full can still whoop on those newer cars out there without breaking a sweat. Sure, his car may get an average of about 25 mpg per tank (due to the Civic being the high output Si model and having a typical rice boy driver), but it seems like it isn't as fun as a Camaro with double the power and triple the torque. Yet, the Camaro still seems to be thrifty on gas even with a few WOT runs. I still happen to average 20-22 mpg per tank. Not bad at all for a V8. I'm sure it has been already said a million times. LS1 FTW!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't think a civic would be a "big win" for your LS1.. but fun races anyways
Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice kill? Although i did feel like i was reading the script for 5 Fast 5 Furious.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Teching In

Awesome job! Those new Civics are no joke. Especially if he had NOS!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Old 12-04-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

PDBQ the Honda killer strikes as if from no where. Good kills, but I wouldn't call it a big win.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Ya maybe with a 300 shot haha
Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 AM

LOL, at some of the comments!

Good kill!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

good kill op,

but, what was the "big win"?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by proporio
good kill op,

but, what was the "big win"?
Instead of winning by car lengths, the win was by bus lengths. That's what I define as a "big win." Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why do you run your car on 87 octane?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

It just runs fine that way so I never really thought about using premium. No pinging or knock counts (as verified by a scanner). It still runs very well at the strip. I've ran premium 93 octane before and there is no difference in the performance whatsoever.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdbq
It just runs fine that way so I never really thought about using premium. No pinging or knock counts (as verified by a scanner). It still runs very well at the strip. I've ran premium 93 octane before and there is no difference in the performance whatsoever.
You may not feel a difference, but the car is tuned for premium. The money you are saving on buying 87 is going to be the same as if you bought 93 and get slightly better mpg.

Some people try and cheap out, and run 87, but in the end you aren't saving any money. You would be better off just buying premium.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Juicy J
You may not feel a difference, but the car is tuned for premium. The money you are saving on buying 87 is going to be the same as if you bought 93 and get slightly better mpg.

Some people try and cheap out, and run 87, but in the end you aren't saving any money. You would be better off just buying premium.
I agree the OP would be better off running premium 91-93. But you don't seriously think higher octane = better gas mileage do you?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProjectD
I agree the OP would be better off running premium 91-93. But you don't seriously think higher octane = better gas mileage do you?
Nope. I don't think higher octane is better mpg. However, I know that if your car is tuned to run on a certain type of fuel, then it will run more efficiently. Notice how I said SLIGHTLY better mpg.

If you are saying that I am wrong, then please tell me how so.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Nope. I don't think higher octane is better mpg. However, I know that if your car is tuned to run on a certain type of fuel, then it will run more efficiently. Notice how I said SLIGHTLY better mpg.

If you are saying that I am wrong, then please tell me how so.
I definitely could do some tweaking on the tune by lowering fan temps and adding in some spark advance. Remember I'm already trapping close to 90 mph in the eighth mile with bolt ons even though I'm running 87 octane so there could probably be a mph gain by filling up with 93 and playing with the tune. I'm getting a vin key for HPtuners so I'm getting rather excited.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

I call BS! Nobody beats VTEC. Honda Power FTW!! BTW Ricer Fly-by IS a win.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc320
I call BS! Nobody beats VTEC. Honda Power FTW!! BTW Ricer Fly-by IS a win.
yeah, i don't get it either.
he flew past you, that's a win. his vtec kicked in and all of a sudden you were standing still. sucks you got your *** kicked twice. sounds like he didn't even need to spray.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
yeah, i don't get it either.
he flew past you, that's a win. his vtec kicked in and all of a sudden you were standing still. sucks you got your *** kicked twice. sounds like he didn't even need to spray.
When Vtec kicks in it is just like on Star Trek when the ship goes to warp speed and all of a sudden "shoooom" and it's gone!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

His 9000 rpm VTEC 4 gerbil motor in a corpulent 2800 lb Honda Civic was totally useless against my bolt-on LS1. Torque won the race free and clear and the ricer flyby was just a "Let's pretend I won" ricer move.