Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08' GT vs 10' SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08' GT vs 10' SS

I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong forum...I ran across a vid on youtube with an 08' GT and 10' SS and was very skeptical. They both have aftermarket intakes but the SS is an auto = 400hp. I know the SS weighs about 500lbs more but the GT had a passenger. Either the driver of the SS was a complete moron, had 3 people riding along, or the GT had more goodies than they claimed. IMO, the SS shouldn't have been smoked like that based on specs. What do you guys think of the video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ngry_H-j8
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything can happen on the street...

Given identical drivers, on the same track, at the same time, the 2010 SS should easily come out on top going from what people have been running.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

that camaro is a 6 cylinder. You can get them with the dual exhaust and all the body work of a real SS. Notice how you can't hear the camaro's engine at all? The V8 is quite, but thats a relative term: it aint silent! While the V6 is pretty silent even at WOT. Only explanation for it: that roll race the camaro was flat out not accellerating like a L98 should, had to be the V6- which is actually a good competitor for a baseline Mustang GT.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
that camaro is a 6 cylinder. You can get them with the dual exhaust and all the body work of a real SS. Notice how you can't hear the camaro's engine at all? The V8 is quite, but thats a relative term: it aint silent! While the V6 is pretty silent even at WOT. Only explanation for it: that roll race the camaro was flat out not accellerating like a L98 should, had to be the V6- which is actually a good competitor for a baseline Mustang GT.
You beat me to it, +1
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Yeah, my first thought was V6...then I read other comments on youtube and the guy is swearing it's an SS!! Anything to make the Mustang look good, right!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

had to be the V6- which is actually a good competitor for a baseline Mustang GT.
Why do people keep saying that? What year Mustang would the Camaro have a chance against?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Why do people keep saying that? What year Mustang would the Camaro have a chance against?
Im not sure if you are aware but the new V6 camaros have 306hp V6s, actually quite decent motors.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Im not sure if you are aware but the new V6 camaros have 306hp V6s, actually quite decent motors.
lol I am pretty update with everything, but thanks. Did you guys ever take into consideration that the V6 makes less torque, and weighs more than a Mustang? A late model GT Mustang SHOULD dominate a V6 Camaro in any type of race. No if's and's or but's about it.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

The 2010 V6 Camaro has run a best of 14.2 at 99mph by magazines, so I could see it being a decent race vs. a stock pre-2005 GT. Maybe even a driver's race against a new edge. Who knows.................who cares...
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
The 2010 V6 Camaro has run a best of 14.2 at 99mph by magazines, so I could see it being a decent race vs. a stock pre-2005 GT. Maybe even a driver's race against a new edge. Who knows.................who cares...
People are acting like you shouldn't buy a new 2010 GT Mustang because a V6 Camaro is faster/as fast. This is not the case.

That's why I asked, "what year?".
Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

People are acting like you shouldn't buy a new 2010 GT Mustang because a V6 Camaro is faster/as fast. This is not the case.

That's why I asked, "what year?".
judging from what that slow mustang did to that slower camaro I'm thinking pre-2005 GT's. I've ran two REAL Camaro SS's (stick and auto) and can attest to there destroying a newer (edit) Mustang GT: yes the auto was slower, but still not in the same league! Nice video though, I just hate to see people miss representing things like that. I would feel the same way if some jackass in a stock 3.5 Nissan claimed to destroy a 2010 Mustang GT. Not gonna happen!

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 12-11-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 AM
TECH Regular

The 2011 Mustangs should even up to ratio a bit. The V6 is going to make over 300hp (And be lighter) and the V8 400+ As far as the 2v stangs go, those Trick Flow twisted wedge heads are really going to change things for them.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ke^in
The 2011 Mustangs should even up to ratio a bit. The V6 is going to make over 300hp (And be lighter) and the V8 400+ As far as the 2v stangs go, those Trick Flow twisted wedge heads are really going to change things for them.
Yep the new GT should be pretty bad ***. I am excited to see what the actual numbers turn out to be.

As far as the twisted wedge heads go you have been talking about... There aren't going to be a whole lot of GT's rolling around with those heads. I don't think its really going to turn the tables or anything. The fact is going to stay that most 2V's are slow, especially if they stay NA. I would probably drive one as a DD, but there are much better platforms to work with as far as modding goes. I am not teach anyone anything new, so I will shut up now.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

You shitting me? I gotta keep current on my ****: 400hp mustangs huh? Nice! Nothing like a new hp war to cure the Recession blues! lol
Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

that's a v8. and what i've seen from the auto ss, this vid is likely legit. the autos are hurting units.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You shitting me? I gotta keep current on my ****: 400hp mustangs huh? Nice! Nothing like a new hp war to cure the Recession blues! lol
Look up the "Coyote". Thats what Ford is calling the new engine. I don't think that they have given out the final numbers, but the word is, it will be either 400hp or 425hp. Its going to be a 5.0 again.

The numbers are supposed to be released soon, but I can't remember the date off the top of my head.

I am actually pretty excited to see what these things do. I wonder how well they are going to benifit from mods.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Left Lane News
A 400 horsepower 5.0L V8 motor will also be joining the Mustang lineup for 2011. Dubbed ‘Coyote’, the new mill will be used in the Mustang GT model and will be available with a six-speed manual transmission – something the Camaro has offered since 1993.

Combined with Ford’s latest track pack, the 2011 Mustang GT reportedly lapped Michigan’s GingerMan Raceway dead-even with the current BMW M3 — despite a 200 pound weight disadvantage.

Because Ford’s 365 horsepower EcoBoost motor would leave little to differentiate the V6 Mustang from the 400 horsepower V8 model, there are no current plans to use the turbocharged engine in the Mustang in the immediate future. However, the Mustang GT will likely see a power boost in the coming years, possibly opening the door for a turbocharged Mustang.

Other changes to the Mustang line for 2011 include an aluminum block for the Shelby GT500 model. A Boss model is on tap for 2012.
I guess the information is already out. Ford is coming out with some bad *** stuff. Hopefully that Boss turns out to be something more than a couple of Boss emblems, and a CAI.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Look up the "Coyote". Thats what Ford is calling the new engine. I don't think that they have given out the final numbers, but the word is, it will be either 400hp or 425hp. Its going to be a 5.0 again.

The numbers are supposed to be released soon, but I can't remember the date off the top of my head.

I am actually pretty excited to see what these things do. I wonder how well they are going to benifit from mods.

as long as it's a ford modular it will be quite limited without FI
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big hammer
as long as it's a ford modular it will be quite limited without FI
As far as heads and cams go, I am sure you are correct. But, the bolt on's could give it some power.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

There aren't going to be a whole lot of GT's rolling around with those heads.
I know a lot of people personally that are attempting to get them HUGE back order.
I don't think its really going to turn the tables or anything. The fact is going to stay that most 2V's are slow, especially if they stay NA.
Read some info about those heads. It puts 2v in the same times as stock LS1 cars. They've already taken a stock 2v and bolted on these heads and gotten these numbers. Now, having said that I believe it had a mid-pip-exhaust mod. But that was it.
I would probably drive one as a DD, but there are much better platforms to work with as far as modding goes. I am not teach anyone anything new, so I will shut up now.
What sucked about the 2v mustang GTs had really nothing to do with it being 2v. The heads on it just stunk. The ones made from 94-98 were worse. Ford "improved" on them in 99. Trick Flow just made a better "mouse trap" so to speak.

Quick Reply: 08' GT vs 10' SS