Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Kicked it with a quick third gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kicked it with a quick third gen Camaro

So I pull up to a stop light, its around 10:30pm, so not much traffic. I can see that the only car at the light seems to be a third gen Camaro. So I'm thinking oh great, this guy is going to try and race me with what's probably a 305 in there, because thats how it usually happens. So I get beside him and can hear that its pretty loud, and definitely didn't sound like no 305, or the 350 that came in those either! So the light turns green and we take off, got to about 30mph, (I was in 2nd gear, didn't think he would want to run) well I was wrong, he hits it and off we go. I'm spinning a lot on my slippery Nitto street tires, but once I hook, I immediately start to pull away. I shut down once I hit 4th. He keeps following me and we pull into Wal Mart to shoot the **** for a minute. I was impressed that a third gen Camaro kept up with me like that. As soon as I get out of the car, he's like "oh man I'm really impressed! I hardly come up on cars that can run with me, thats a 468ci big block (454 bored over to what ever makes a 468) in there (talking about his car)". My mods are just a LS1 with cam/tune/full exhaust in a 6spd car. I was like "a 468ci"? I was shocked that I pulled on him. He was on street tires, and the hood was off. So it wasn't a 305 or anything, or at least it didn't look like it to me.

So my question now is, do yall think it was really a 468ci in there being that I pulled a car length on him like that? Or is he just throwing out some BS?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably a mild one. It could also just be a bad combo or it could of not been dialed in right. Several things can cause it to be a dog. He may have also been spinning. Too many factors to tell you for sure but Good kill! I can't wait to get my big block third gen done.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Launching!

Could have been quite a few of those. It has a TON of potential to be faster. I am wanting to get a third gen myself and make it a project car, maybe one day far in the future it will be a "race car" lol. Thanks for the input
Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

just because its a 454 doesn't mean it will compare to the newer engine platforms like the LSX engines. I had a 454 in my '78 Z28 with a built T-10 and 3.42 posi. 3420 curb weight when I had a Turbo 350 auto in it, probably 60 pounds lighter with the T-10 (and a whole lot more fun!). Even with the best stock heads ever made ('72 HD truck oval ports, forgot the casting number but had CC chamber and casting flash cleanup, 3angle vj, harland sharp full roller rockers/studs/guideplates), Performer RPM+1 intake, race prepped Holley 850dbl, MSD distr, stock cam (blew the engine up the literally the day I was supposed to do the full on solid roller cam install. damn that still burns. ) 9 to 1 comp, Hooker LT's w/daul exh., my car was at best a mid 12 car IF- and thats a BIG IF- I could have hooked it up since it had massive torque. Granted it needed a much much bigger cam, but I would have been surprised if it made more than 320rwhp/450ft lbs.

Done up with the right cam and tune, my combo was supposedly good for 500+ crank horsepower: Engine dyno hp, figure 400rwhp. Right about where a stock LS2/LS7 with a cam sits. Ouch.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Would need some more details on the motor to truely know.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
just because its a 454 doesn't mean it will compare to the newer engine platforms like the LSX engines. I had a 454 in my '78 Z28 with a built T-10 and 3.42 posi. 3420 curb weight when I had a Turbo 350 auto in it, probably 60 pounds lighter with the T-10 (and a whole lot more fun!). Even with the best stock heads ever made ('72 HD truck oval ports, forgot the casting number but had CC chamber and casting flash cleanup, 3angle vj, harland sharp full roller rockers/studs/guideplates), Performer RPM+1 intake, race prepped Holley 850dbl, MSD distr, stock cam (blew the engine up the literally the day I was supposed to do the full on solid roller cam install. damn that still burns. ) 9 to 1 comp, Hooker LT's w/daul exh., my car was at best a mid 12 car IF- and thats a BIG IF- I could have hooked it up since it had massive torque. Granted it needed a much much bigger cam, but I would have been surprised if it made more than 320rwhp/450ft lbs.

Done up with the right cam and tune, my combo was supposedly good for 500+ crank horsepower: Engine dyno hp, figure 400rwhp. Right about where a stock LS2/LS7 with a cam sits. Ouch.
Seems like a whole lot of time and money to get a car with an old school carb motor to run fast
Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Would need some more details on the motor to truely know.
True, I'm sure I'll see him around at some point so I can find out more on what it is
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kill! I wonder how it is to work on one of those with a motor like that.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Thanks man. I'm not sure how it would be to work on, but I'll know one day. I want to get a third gen and put either a big block in it or a LQ9. I used to have one with the 305 in it, pulled the engine out and rebuilt it, put it back in and it wasn't too bad. But of course I had much more room than with a BBC in it, lol
Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Honestly, I'd just stick an LSX in it. You can get some decent cubic inches out of them and they are so much easier to work on than the older motors. Not to mention the weight advantage.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

True that. I was thinking if I did the LQ9, putting some boost on it
Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Good Kill OP!
As for the big block in a 3rd gen. IMO it's honestly not as bad as you would think. I have a friend who had a 468 in his 83 Z and he messed up the engine in it, and I helped him work on it and eventually we just stripped the entire car and he parted it out. But even though we parted it, It was NOT that bad at all to get in there and remove things and to work on it. I'd own a Big Block 3rd Gen in a heart beat. As for an efficient 3rd gen, You'll never be able to beat a LSx 3rd Gen. Thats my .02
*With an LSx swap you get Big Block Power in a small block setup, It really is the way to go.

James
Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM

Yeah must have been a shitty combo, Big Blocks make loads of power even with the mildest setups. Hell my car with a heads/cam 350 used to yank cammed ls1s all day. A 468 with mild heads and cam should be makin atleast 600hp even with a cheap setup. A friend of mine has pump gas na 540 that made 871hp on the dyno on 91 octane and its still pretty streetable. LS motors will never compare just because of the bore spacing and sheer cubic inches in a Big Block.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
Good Kill OP!
As for the big block in a 3rd gen. IMO it's honestly not as bad as you would think. I have a friend who had a 468 in his 83 Z and he messed up the engine in it, and I helped him work on it and eventually we just stripped the entire car and he parted it out. But even though we parted it, It was NOT that bad at all to get in there and remove things and to work on it. I'd own a Big Block 3rd Gen in a heart beat. As for an efficient 3rd gen, You'll never be able to beat a LSx 3rd Gen. Thats my .02
*With an LSx swap you get Big Block Power in a small block setup, It really is the way to go.

James
Or just properly build a sbc, you dont need a lsx to be fast and efficient. I like to keep it traditional
Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
Good Kill OP!

James
Oh I know what you mean about a LSx swap in a 3rd gen. If I got a 3rd gen, it would be either a BBC or a LSx swap for srue
Originally Posted by SneakySSnake
Yeah must have been a shitty combo, Big Blocks make loads of power even with the mildest setups. Hell my car with a heads/cam 350 used to yank cammed ls1s all day. A 468 with mild heads and cam should be makin atleast 600hp even with a cheap setup. A friend of mine has pump gas na 540 that made 871hp on the dyno on 91 octane and its still pretty streetable. LS motors will never compare just because of the bore spacing and sheer cubic inches in a Big Block.
Well if a 468 SHOULD be making at least 600hp, this guy wasn't, probably a shitty combo for sure. Some LS motors may not compare in cubic inches, but can still hold their own pretty damn good. But what you said is your own .02, thanks for your input.
Originally Posted by SneakySSnake
Or just properly build a sbc, you dont need a lsx to be fast and efficient. I like to keep it traditional
You may not need a LSx to be fast, but I'm sure they are more efficient with fuel than a SBC or a BBC, and maybe a slight bit more streetable depending on what set up you run. But traditional is also nice, dont think you can go wrong either way
Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Y2K_Camaro
My mods are just a LS1 with cam/tune/full exhaust in a 6spd car. I was like "a 468ci"? I was shocked that I pulled on him. He was on street tires, and the hood was off. So it wasn't a 305 or anything, or at least it didn't look like it to me.?
This right here tells me you know nearly nothing about cars and possibly someone else did all the work to yours. Are you really unable to tell the visual difference between a 305 and a 454? Everyone has to learn somehow!