Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The usual victims

Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The usual victims

My friend was letting me drive his '02 Trans Am WS6. This is no where near stock (678 RWTQ) and sounds amazing. Any Cobra, GT, Civic, Corvette, or Camaro will try it.
I drive it to the next state to a concert (Lamb Of God) with my friend without any races. On the way home (after stopping for gas) a GT rolls up to a really long red light. We waited for 2 minutes but finally the light turns yellow for the perpendicular road and the mustang revs to what seems 4,000 rpm. Red light both sides I rev to 1,800 RPM. Due to street legal tires we both take off at the same rate when the light turns green. Due to skinnier tires the mustang loses ground at considerable rates through 1st gear. 2nd gear still doesn't offer much grip, but Im still 1 car in front. a short shift to third and the tires chirp but offer some grip after I back WAY off the throttle. Through measuring out power I try to make the most of 3rd. Shift into fourth and stomp it. I have never felt more than 200 RWHP so the 700 feels like God has kicked the car. I back off the throttle at GPS 165 MPH. Hit the brakes... the Mustang finally flys by 5 seconds later still WOT.
I do a Ricer fly-by after the GT slows and he follows me around the block so I pull over to talk.
GT: "WTF is in that thing"
My reply "A REAL engine"
I also raced a Honda on I-675. He only saw me while I was in 3rd. After that my tail lights where just dots getting on the exit ramp... at 150mph.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GenerationSam
My friend was letting me drive his '02 Trans Am WS6. This is no where near stock (678 RWTQ) and sounds amazing. Any Cobra, GT, Civic, Corvette, or Camaro will try it.
I drive it to the next state to a concert (Lamb Of God) with my friend without any races. On the way home (after stopping for gas) a GT rolls up to a really long red light. We waited for 2 minutes but finally the light turns yellow for the perpendicular road and the mustang revs to what seems 4,000 rpm. Red light both sides I rev to 1,800 RPM. Due to street legal tires we both take off at the same rate when the light turns green. Due to skinnier tires the mustang loses ground at considerable rates through 1st gear. 2nd gear still doesn't offer much grip, but Im still 1 car in front. a short shift to third and the tires chirp but offer some grip after I back WAY off the throttle. Through measuring out power I try to make the most of 3rd. Shift into fourth and stomp it. I have never felt more than 200 RWHP so the 700 feels like God has kicked the car. I back off the throttle at GPS 165 MPH. Hit the brakes... the Mustang finally flys by 5 seconds later still WOT.
I do a Ricer fly-by after the GT slows and he follows me around the block so I pull over to talk.
My reply "A REAL engine"
I also raced a Honda on I-675. He only saw me while I was in 3rd. After that my tail lights where just dots getting on the exit ramp... at 150mph.
Nice kill.

A real engine? Maybe a real engine and a power adder. I'm sure you know that 700hp is nothing. Regardless, I bet that was a fun race!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by unit213
Nice kill.

A real engine? Maybe a real engine and a power adder. I'm sure you know that 700hp is nothing. Regardless, I bet that was a fun race!
come on man, i agree the "a real engine" comment was lame, but still 700whp is insane. my car should make that on spray, if i ever get it set up. and im scared shitless what will happen when i hit it.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Yes i realize that 700 RWHP is now pedestrian. I however was used to, as i said, less than 200 BHP (Civic). I made the "real engine" part up, off the top of my head, in 5 seconds, at the scene. I was gitty at the time it was more hilarious than serious.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
I'm sure you know that 700hp is nothing. Regardless, I bet that was a fun race!
unit you're a little jaded after hangin with all the big dollar monster cars: but even you have to admit that a guy with a 1000rwhp car is still not going to say 700 is "nothing". He might just shrug and say "Its a good start" though.

I do seriously have a problem with someone putting that much power into the hands of a complete novice though: might as well write out a death warrant on him and his passengers. Even 400rwhp is a handfull on the street to guys who are completely unfamiliar with it. There's a reason all OEM's put power limiters and nannies on there high output cars. "Liability".

That being said, good kill and kudos for not pitching it sideways down the freeway OP.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

When did this race happen? Sounds like a great kill, would just like to know what the temps were outside for the Mustang.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so at 165mph in 4th gear, this should be every bit of a 200mph top speed WS6? damn
Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
unit you're a little jaded after hangin with all the big dollar monster cars: but even you have to admit that a guy with a 1000rwhp car is still not going to say 700 is "nothing". He might just shrug and say "Its a good start" though.

I do seriously have a problem with someone putting that much power into the hands of a complete novice though: might as well write out a death warrant on him and his passengers. Even 400rwhp is a handfull on the street to guys who are completely unfamiliar with it. There's a reason all OEM's put power limiters and nannies on there high output cars. "Liability".
That being said, good kill and kudos for not pitching it sideways down the freeway OP.
very funny but true....i had to learn the hard way when i had my camaro...and that was long BEFORE the hydroplane
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GenerationSam
My reply "A REAL engine"

Other than that, good kill.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ke^in

Other than that, good kill.
It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning
Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

your attention to detail made me laugh, good kill.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gaunt
It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning
You sir just went on my ignore list.....
Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by waltonscott
your attention to detail made me laugh, good kill.
Yeah that story just didn't hit me quite right. Something odd, something that would be explained by a "Yes" to this question poised to the OP:

"Generation Sam, are you a female?" I've known enough gearhead females to get the whiff of hairspray when I read that post. Emphasizing the wrong areas, etc.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ProjectDuStU
You sir just went on my ignore list.....
See sig. Have a nice day!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Launching!

going from a 200whp el camino to Aznmuscles 410rwhp trans am was certainly interesting.. he let me drive it alone. luckily, im responsible.

good kill op. get a real car instead of that civic.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
going from a 200whp el camino to Aznmuscles 410rwhp trans am was certainly interesting.. he let me drive it alone. luckily, im responsible.

good kill op. get a real car instead of that civic.
Though you still went sideways as we left Cabela's that one night....
Old 01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Though you still went sideways as we left Cabela's that one night....
you saw that?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

You told me about it, dumbass lol. I was busy trying not to spill Monster in the vette as we were blasting down on the way to In and Out.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
You told me about it, dumbass lol. I was busy trying not to spill Monster in the vette as we were blasting down on the way to In and Out.
i was kidding you retard.. i remember telling you about it at in n out. your car is much better to drive then martins..
Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Anyway, back on topic. Good kill OP. Good thing you were able to handle the huge jump in horsepower. A lot of people tend to have that issue.

Search this Thread