Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got punked by two trucks recently

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got punked by two trucks recently

The first encounter was when leaving wally world the other day with an older model chevy truck in front of me. It obviously had a cam and he threw me a rev as I approached. I returned the gesture and pulled along side of him. He said he wanted to go from 30 which I agreed. On the 3rd honk he jumped out about a car and it stayed that way until I shutdown. When we stopped at the light I asked what kind of power he was putting down and he said over 400. I asked for a dig run but he declined because he said he couldn't get traction, lol.

A day or two later I was heading down the road when I came up on a new body style pewter chevy truck. I didn't think much of it until he punched it, damn thing sounded mean. I pulled along side of him and let him know I was game. I informed my wife that this wasn't looking good but it would still be fun. On the hit I got about a carlength but he was gaining fast. Once he started to pass I shut it down as there wasn't much point in staying in it. No clue what was done to it but it was pretty quick.

On a side note...what the hell is wrong with you chevy truck guys slamming your trucks but running stock rims? I use to think they were just in transition but I see way more slammed trucks with stockers than with aftermarket rims. Both trucks mentioned were slammed on stockers
Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they spent all of their money to go fast than look good w/ bling wheels?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
Maybe they spent all of their money to go fast than look good w/ bling wheels?
Yep, rimz don't add horsepower.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

It is only ironic that both of these trucks were fast. I'm talking about 9 out of 10 trucks I see slammed are on stockers. The chevy guys are the worst but I see plenty of other guys driving other brands doing the same thing.

The first truck I encountered lives in my neighborhood. In their driveway are 4 chevy trucks, all slammed, and all on stock rims. The one I raced is the only one even close to being fast.

I am far from a fan of the fast and furious mentality I was just curious if I was missing something?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know about the stock rims/slammed thing: maybe its because thieves are bad down there? Or most likely: chevy just makes some badass rims from the factory and they like them just as they are.

I assume you were in your ?? twin turbo, 5.0, head/cam Mustang?!?! Or were you in the TBSS?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm guessing the tbss...if not those trucks would have to have some huge power to outrun his car from a roll as it makes close to 600 last i read..
Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Sadly the stang is down at the moment and have been borrowing the tbss. I spun a rod bearring which in turn heated up then put a hair line crack in my crank. Should be back together in another couple of weeks.

On very mild cams and my old na heads it put down 575 on 12lbs. I then swapped the heads/cams but didn't make it back to the dyno for a retune. Now that its down I went ahead and bought an intake.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Default Killer trucks

Well as long as you didn't get beat in what sounds like a bad *** stang... than all the better. I'm from vt, and I tell you what, most the guys up here are running diesel trucks (jacked) and some are insane. I wouldn't wanna race a few and I have a fairly modified ls1 trans am. I work at the Autozone up here and some of the guys I know are running over a thousand fl lbs of torque and over 600 horse, and it doesn't even take much to get there. Hmmm diesel powered trans am? jk!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by focus12221
Well as long as you didn't get beat in what sounds like a bad *** stang... than all the better. I'm from vt, and I tell you what, most the guys up here are running diesel trucks (jacked) and some are insane. I wouldn't wanna race a few and I have a fairly modified ls1 trans am. I work at the Autozone up here and some of the guys I know are running over a thousand fl lbs of torque and over 600 horse, and it doesn't even take much to get there. Hmmm diesel powered trans am? jk!
i think i remember seeing a thread in the swap section that a guy installed a diesel in a f-body. looked pretty cool. i think he used a power-joke diesel.

dont remember how fast it was tho...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

That's a sweet looking stang you got there Mr.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like it's mod time for the TBSS!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

I've been dying to put a cam in it. Hearing an suv cammin would be pretty badass. The problem is the trannies are pretty week and don't think it will last very long. I think I'll just go ahead and get me a stall very soon.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

EDIT: Ignore, duplicate post
Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

I'd love to see a built AWD 6L80 TBSS, that'd be pretty badass. Maybe I'll build one when I start a family.

Honorable deaths, sounds like you had fun.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Thats sucks.. But, I agree with there are some really fast trucks out there as well.. I love the idea of you never know what your up against..
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
Thats sucks.. But, I agree with there are some really fast trucks out there as well.. I love the idea of you never know what your up against..
i was just looking at your mod list in your sig and was wondering why in the world you would want anti-squat brackets, i always thought that the more weight you can get to transfer to the rear the better.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
The first encounter was when leaving wally world the other day with an older model chevy truck in front of me. It obviously had a cam and he threw me a rev as I approached. I returned the gesture and pulled along side of him. He said he wanted to go from 30 which I agreed. On the 3rd honk he jumped out about a car and it stayed that way until I shutdown. When we stopped at the light I asked what kind of power he was putting down and he said over 400. I asked for a dig run but he declined because he said he couldn't get traction, lol.

A day or two later I was heading down the road when I came up on a new body style pewter chevy truck. I didn't think much of it until he punched it, damn thing sounded mean. I pulled along side of him and let him know I was game. I informed my wife that this wasn't looking good but it would still be fun. On the hit I got about a carlength but he was gaining fast. Once he started to pass I shut it down as there wasn't much point in staying in it. No clue what was done to it but it was pretty quick.

On a side note...what the hell is wrong with you chevy truck guys slamming your trucks but running stock rims? I use to think they were just in transition but I see way more slammed trucks with stockers than with aftermarket rims. Both trucks mentioned were slammed on stockers
Haha, saving the money for more performance mods!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Ya i got the 97 F350, these things are slow as hell stock, but with a chip and injectors they can put down some decent numbers. And specially the newer 6.0L fords can get goin when done right!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
Yep. My Avalanche looks and sounds stock. I get many open-mouth-wide-eyed looks when it gets up and starts walking..... Hard to disguise the blower whine though
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by L82gofast
Yep. My Avalanche looks and sounds stock. I get many open-mouth-wide-eyed looks when it gets up and starts walking..... Hard to disguise the blower whine though
I demand videos of said Avalanche! or atleast pictures!!