Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stop Light Surprise: SRT8, '09+ Saleen, A4 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stop Light Surprise: SRT8, '09+ Saleen, A4 GTO

MMOB while passing back under the freeway I had just exited, I punch it just to hear it the downshift echo under the bridge: to my surprise I hear a badass ripping engine sound as one of the cars I just passed goes side by side with me: it's a SRT8 Charger and he wants to play! Both decelling for the 3 lane red light ahead, in my mirror I see headlights jumping over 3 lanes and coming up fast into the empty lane to my right: its one of those new Mustangs, debadged, with a Saleen body kit on it (except stock flat hood).

The GT's antilocks are chirping as he comes to a halt. The apposing signal turns yellow and the SRT8's rpms pick up as he powerbreaks it to the edge of traction- I follow suit with a SEG on my face. Just as the other light turns red I hear the Mustangs RPMs increase and he's off before our light even turns green: I launched a split second after him with the SRT8 laggin at the light (fractions of a second seem like an eternity...).

I regain the fender the Saleen got on me by mid intersection: The SRT8 is whoefully slow off the light... end of the intersection and I'm 1+ cars ahead of the mustang and hitting 2nd gear: I take it to 70mph where I'm a SOLID 4+ cars ahead of both of them when I tap the brake lights and let up, with the SRT8 about 1/2 car ahead of the Mustang.

WooT!! Both me and the 'stang turned into our parking lot at the next light and the SRT8 went on his way, his dig racing credentials officially tarnished. And the Mustang? Well, I'm gonna have to try and track him down to see what he has besides just a V8...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

1st post!!!!!

^excitement because it was a good kill and story!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hugger1975
1st post!!!!!

^excitement because it was a good kill and story!
LOL Guess we both like being first, dont we? I'm just STOKED that I had my fenders rolled, drag springs/bags installed, and rear inner bushings replaced last weekend! Flat out, no questions on whether the other guy is gonna go dig races are hard to come by out on the street. To get a chance to do some Stomping with my new no-spin neck snapping tires & supporting mods 4 days after they are installed? PRICELESS!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, now thats a kill story. i wish i could find something like that. good kills!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh man that's a good story. I had two guy trying to race me too at a 4 lane red light but they were both hondas! I just let them both race and I was right next to them shifting at 4 RPM's lol
Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you had a blast. So just how well do you hook now?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Sounds like you had a blast. So just how well do you hook now?
I hooked decently before: good enough to jump out on a built M6 C5 FRC from a dig, and also ET Street equipped M6 WS6 from a 25mph roll. Both cars edged me out up top though...

Now? Well I would conservatively guess that if I raced my car from one week ago, I would 60' time at least 2 tenths faster. It launches about as hard or harder than my brothers built/stalled IROC when he was pulling 1.8 60' times... Too bad the tracks arent open yet.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 03-20-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great kills, 3 way races are hard to find! Sounds like that mustang was just a GT with a saleen body kit, but who knows. Either way you would still probably have hooked better.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good kills. Two for the price of one is never a bad deal.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet kills. SRT-8s launch best from 1200-1500rpm on a prepped surface so that guy must have lost traction instantly. Also, pre-09s don't have factory LSDs either.

He would have to be I/E/T to have a chance against you too.