Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on SRT8 300C vs bolt on C5 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on SRT8 300C vs bolt on C5 LS1

So awhile back i traded in my LS1's for an SRT8. Had a kid yadda yadda...had zero to do with thinking that SRT's are better cars, motors whatever. I drove a few that were kinda ragged and when i found my 300 i knew right away that despite the added weight i had more to start with out of the box! Since i made my purchase of the stock vehicle with 28,000 on it i added cold air, gutted cats w/catback and SLP loudmouths, and a diablo sport predator tune. I run at two local 1/4mile tracks (both at above 3,200ft) and consistantly ran 14.1@100 stock. With my current setup i ran as fast as a 13.5@104 with a really nice density altitude (was like midnight when i ran). On a normal hot day when the DA is like 4000 or better i can run consistant 13.7@103 which was the case this last weekend. Thats my car.

So ive been back in town awhile now and on several different cruises i ran into a white Nismo 350Z that would act like an *** in traffic and rev his little heart out but would never give me a fair REAL race. He looked like a lil HS punk so i never got to excited about it until i went to the track this last weekend and see his car in line to enter. I didnt catch him to challenge him until he was already in line to race a Vette. He spun his *** off and the Vette ran a 13.9 (keep in mind this is a 3,500ft track). I mighta psyched him out. I asked if he wanted to run the 300C just before and he reluctantly agreed. Who wants to lose in front of all their ricer buddies to a boat like mine?? HA! Anyway we eventually line up w my sis video taping the whole thing and i kill him. After the 60' mark i never saw him, again. Anyway, we come back around and he pulls beside to ask if i wanna race his brothers Corvette. Im like "hell yea you took the words right outa my mouth". Theyre all parked together with theyre hoods popped. I overhear him listing mods to a stranger whod asked - cold air, headers, exhaust, and a Texas Speed dyno tune (340hp) on an auto 02'. Had MT/ET streets on the back - i have Nitto 420S (s- for ****). In the first run i killed him outa the hole (dont ask me how) but had to stab the throttle when i spun on the 1,2shift. Thats when he got momentum on me and caught me just passed the 1/8th - my front bumper was at his rear bumper when we crossed the stripe. At the slip booth i asked to a rematch and he agreed. I knew if i didnt spin on the 1,2 shift ida had em thru the traps! Next round, i deep staged the car badass (the bottom light was kinda flickering) and left him sitting on the tree. I did a better burnout so no spin on the 1,2 and he wasnt visible in my periphial until after we crossed the stripe. I got the white timeslip (FU*K YEA!!!) and the win light despite the fact he ran a faster et. He ran a 13.69@103 and i ran a 13.72@103 are numbers were IDENTICAL at the 1000ft mark. Reaction time was the difference!!! Although ive had several races this close in my race career, beating a Vette in a 300C takes this one to the top. All the years i had my f-bods i could never get a race w one. This was all two weekends ago. I have spray now. Bought a zex kit. I wanna get some cammed F-bods next time and get the reaction on vid. Out here cam only f-bods barely get in the 12's and thats where i hope to be w/ the 100hp setup. Sorry my camera sucks ill take a picture of my timeslips a lil later if theres any ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C653uHgpRy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0vOcgGaFGs

Last edited by SSickLS1; 03-25-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Just in case theres any complaints about the fact this is all on the track and im posting in the street race section ill add this : Today i went for a lil cruise and just before i turned to come home i look in my rearview just in time to see some asshat in a bright red, what at 1st looked like a 350Z, bobbing and weaving thru traffic. He wasnt coming after me - he was just driving like a flamer and i happend to see. As he came up beside me at a red light i realized it was a Porsche Cayman S that still had dealer tags on it. He was old enough to be my dad (im 26) and he had his wife in the car (kinda MILFish). Anywho as the light turned green i made sure to keep him at my rear qp no matter how hard he accelerated. We did this side by side for several lights. Still having the track#'s on my car he seemed to be growing more interested as we went on. Finally we crossed the last drainage bump on the road outa town and i hammered it since he was already driving more spiritedly. I jumped out a couple cars and got out of it. Instead of pulling up beside me or giving chase he did a ricer flyby (unimpressive to say the least) and started doing about 80 ina 55 to get away from me. I let him go, sorry Heres the Nismo vids tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn8O9_YZzgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8txFLug39t0

Last edited by SSickLS1; 03-21-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Heres one against my buddies 06' SRT Charger w a cam and stall. He hadnt yet learned how to launch and spun badly...spinnin aint winnin!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_JCw2iYTms

This brand new LS3 Camaro with a cold air kit - dead nuts even :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6t5aLGftOQ

Last one from the track (ill post some street vids tomarro) Full bolt on LS2 GTO - dead nuts even :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njMoFFPOigk

Last edited by SSickLS1; 03-22-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Good stuff and spot-on. Tell me though about spinning with the 1-2 shift? I get spin but it isn't continuous, just right at the moment of the shift.

Were you experiencing excessive spin?

Have you had the car dyno tuned? As far as expected gains, and I may have PM'd this to you a while ago, on the same dyno I was at:

388/402 canned 91oct tune
398/422 dyno tuned 91 octane
413/432 dyno tuned 96+ octane
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Still no dyno tune I have to drive to Dallas, San Antonio or Austin to have mine done so it may be awhile. Im just gonna run colder plugs and take out some timing (3-4degrees) w/a lot of fuel additive. My car spins because the Nittos are garbage. Theyre not the 555's. You runnin the Toyo's? Thats what most guys seem to like this side of a drag radial. I bought spare rims that are a lil smaller so i can fit an et street. (i cant remember exactly what size) they have 555r's on em now. Ive yet to run with em.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Very nice dude, I gotta get a black grille for my 300SRT. They are the best looking Mopar IMHO.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Yessir, thanks again for the lead on the AFE - i was looking at the sorry *** mopar cai lol. So you decided to keep er huh?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

nice!!!
and some vids to back it up...even nicer
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Still no dyno tune I have to drive to Dallas, San Antonio or Austin to have mine done so it may be awhile. Im just gonna run colder plugs and take out some timing (3-4degrees) w/a lot of fuel additive. My car spins because the Nittos are garbage. Theyre not the 555's. You runnin the Toyo's? Thats what most guys seem to like this side of a drag radial. I bought spare rims that are a lil smaller so i can fit an et street. (i cant remember exactly what size) they have 555r's on em now. Ive yet to run with em.
Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Yessir, thanks again for the lead on the AFE - i was looking at the sorry *** mopar cai lol. So you decided to keep er huh?
I've never run DRs but my experience has been with F1s and Kumhos, either 255s or 245s. Hankooks are next, waiting in the garage.

Maybe I don't get enough wheelspin because I use the Mopar CAI?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Maybe I don't get enough wheelspin because I use the Mopar CAI?
LMFAO!!!! Youre prolly makin a good bit more power being that close to sea level too tho. Very rarely do i see a DA lower than 3500, and even then were talkin no better than 2500 under the most freakish of conditions. My tires just suck.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

def. a sleeper..glad I didn't race a srt8 in the wrx..now I'm wondering which car I should line up against a local srt8 that street races
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL nice kills. I raced an SRT 8 on sunday on the way home from a dyno night here in SC. Met him at the light and was riding side by side waiting for him to punch it. I gave him the go he jumped out half a car as I downshifted then reeled him in 1 car by the end of 3rd gear. I let off as there was no need to go any faster as I clearly had the win. Honestly I didn't think I was gonna win that race, I thought those cars had more in them. Must be in the weight. Look good tho w/ that hood and halo lights.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Be careful launching with those Nittos, I broke my halfshaft using the Nittos. I have now upgraded to the dss axles.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

LOL nice kills. I raced an SRT 8 on sunday on the way home from a dyno night here in SC. Met him at the light and was riding side by side waiting for him to punch it. I gave him the go he jumped out half a car as I downshifted then reeled him in 1 car by the end of 3rd gear. I let off as there was no need to go any faster as I clearly had the win. Honestly I didn't think I was gonna win that race, I thought those cars had more in them. Must be in the weight. Look good tho w/ that hood and halo lights.
bs..lt1s don't win races..not against the mighty hemi..lol..jk what does your car put down?..sounds like a close race and yea weight has a lot to do with it..bout 600lbs worth.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a leaking injector and car was running lean on the dyno so #'s weren't good. If you go thru my post you'll see I dyno'd at 324/338 afr 15+ and still managed to pull him w/o melting pistons lol. Just got the car fixed today. I know before my injectors started leaking and my trany broke I raced an auto 00 mustang gt that was spraying 125 shot and I pulled him buy 1.5 cars. And my dad has a 02 mustang gt s/c puting down 369/373 and he only pulls me by 1 car. I'm gonna try and get the car dyno'd again to see what it really makes.
Attached Thumbnails Bolt on SRT8 300C vs bolt on C5 LS1-mydyno.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bolt on SRT8 300C vs bolt on C5 LS1