Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Formula vs. BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Formula vs. BMW 335i

Was out cruising around in the ol bird, caught a light and had a bimmer stop next to me, could tell it was a newer 3 series, but saw some stuff hanging off the rear view so figured it was a chick driving and dismissed it. Light turns green and I come off of it pretty much normal, cept I went to 2nd instead of shifting it straight to third hoping that the bimmer would play. Then I hear something next to me winding out, and it's some kid and his buddy in mommy's rav4, so I give it just enough throttle to stay about half a car ahead, then I notice his buddy hanging out the window, so I figured I'll make 'em happy and laid into it in 4th. I start slowing down, and the bimmer comes flying past me and throws the hazzards. Catch back up to him, he slows down, I'm in third, don't know what speed, 'bout middle of third, he nails it then I do, he jumps out MAYBE a car, third starts to wind out, now I'm up to his rear wheel, ****** 4th, put his front to my rear wheel, grab 5th, get a car and shut it down quick. now we're in a little bit of traffic, in a not very good a all place to run, we catch the next light, he rev's and I think, I'm not that stupid to run here, too many cops. Light turns green and he nails it. Catch back up to him, he goes to turn off and I follow, hoping that he pulls into a gas station or something, nope, turn onto another road that's 6 lanes, then throws the flashers again, WTF? Catch the next light, much better spot to run. Light turns green and I baby it so as not to spin, though did spin a little trying to get to full throttle, bang second, still pretty damn even gaining back my half car I lost on the launch, hit third, get just a touch ahead, grab fourth and start to walk, ending fourth with a full car on him. I'm not 100% sure, but he looked PISSED(windows were up and tinted somewhat dark), and also noticed his girl was with him too. I gave him a thumbs up when I was next to him before I turned off, and he didn't even roll his window down.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a dick. Atleast give thumbs up back. He is just mad bacause a 15 year old car whooped on him.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Good Kill! Sometimes the other guy just doesnt believe they can be beat until it is shoved home!

sounds like he was running a modded tune: those 535's are pretty slow stock- about the equivelant of a stock LT1 or pre 2005 Mustang GT. And if the BMW crowd that seems to inhabit LSx websites are any indication, he was assuming that his JB sumthin or another tune would destroy a mere Camaro.

I raced a 535xi? (AWD version) last month and it wasnt pretty: took a full throttle launch to stay on his bumper off a redlight, then half throttle stayed with him until I was able to get around him. Went from behind him at the beginning of 2nd (45mph) to 1 car ahead of him by beginning of 3rd (80mph) where I let up... and of course, he did the ricer fly by at 100+ in a 45mph zone. Made me REALLY want to line up side by side with him at the next light!!@ 'cept he turned off. lucky bastard- he woulda got owned thru the intersection if we were side by side.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 AM
***Repost Police***

OP raced a 335, not a 535. Good kill OP
Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
OP raced a 335, not a 535. Good kill OP
umm.... <whistling>

Best cop voice: "Nothing to see here, please move along!"
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Good Kill! Sometimes the other guy just doesnt believe they can be beat until it is shoved home!

sounds like he was running a modded tune: those 535's are pretty slow stock- about the equivelant of a stock LT1 or pre 2005 Mustang GT. And if the BMW crowd that seems to inhabit LSx websites are any indication, he was assuming that his JB sumthin or another tune would destroy a mere Camaro.

I raced a 535xi? (AWD version) last month and it wasnt pretty: took a full throttle launch to stay on his bumper off a redlight, then half throttle stayed with him until I was able to get around him. Went from behind him at the beginning of 2nd (45mph) to 1 car ahead of him by beginning of 3rd (80mph) where I let up... and of course, he did the ricer fly by at 100+ in a 45mph zone. Made me REALLY want to line up side by side with him at the next light!!@ 'cept he turned off. lucky bastard- he woulda got owned thru the intersection if we were side by side.
Someone already corrected you on having the wrong car, but as far as the rest of your post, you are talking out your *** about things you don't know **** about.

First of all, the TT N54 makes 306rwhp stock. For a TT motor, the N54 also makes near 300rwtq stock...and this torque only gets better with boost. They are faster than LT1s and 2v Mustangs. Almost a half to full second faster.

Secondly, Burger Tuning makes the Juice Box or JB series of tuners. Their JB3 model can add over 80rwhp horsepower in tune/boost alone, not including any bolt ons done to the car. Complete plug and play system. You are retarded if you think 380rwhp+ can't even run with a stockish LS1 Camaro or a lightly modded LT1.

Lastly, What kind of comment is that about BMW drivers that inhabit LSx sites? There are plenty of them. There is a good chance that most of them would give your GTO a run for its money.

Next time, please do some research before you decide to tool away at the keyboard and make yourself look stupid.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

o_O harsh^.

Good kill OP , some guys are just to embaraced to give thumbs up, after loosing when they have a passenger. So that usually leads to the fly bys, implying something I never understood either.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Someone already corrected you on having the wrong car, but as far as the rest of your post, you are talking out your *** about things you don't know **** about.

First of all, the TT N54 makes 306rwhp stock. For a TT motor, the N54 also makes near 300rwtq stock...and this torque only gets better with boost. They are faster than LT1s and 2v Mustangs. Almost a half to full second faster.

Secondly, Burger Tuning makes the Juice Box or JB series of tuners. Their JB3 model can add over 80rwhp horsepower in tune/boost alone, not including any bolt ons done to the car. Complete plug and play system. You are retarded if you think 380rwhp+ can't even run with a stockish LS1 Camaro or a lightly modded LT1.

Lastly, What kind of comment is that about BMW drivers that inhabit LSx sites? There are plenty of them. There is a good chance that most of them would give your GTO a run for its money.

Next time, please do some research before you decide to tool away at the keyboard and make yourself look stupid.

Research?!? Research like that Taco Bell parking lot kind you just did you clueless idiot??? You actually think that 535 BMW's (not even gonna mention the slower 535xi that I was specifically referencing) run low 13's bone stock?? Got ANY proof of that? Cuz the magazines are pretty unanimous in stating the 535i is a 14 second car.

Now as far as that Bullshit claim that they make over 300rwhp bone stock: how do you figure? You putting your cute little pink moped on them rollers and helping them out? Because it would take that kinda "happy" dyno to show those numbers.

So lets get realistic here: taking a 14.0 @101mph car and adding 70-80rwhp (the max boost you can do without race gas or meth I recall being told) then you would have a mid to low 13 second car IF he could hook all that torque. And seeing as how those engines die off on the top end he had better not have a problem hooking!

Now comparing a pump gas tune only 535 to a full bolton LT1? My money is on the LT1 from a roll and probably the dig, too. Don't forget that the Camaro is also lighter!

Come back when you got proof. And I'm not talking about zit-faced Joe from that before mentioned Taco Bell parking lot jumping into this argument as your "Proof".
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Nice kill and nice car OP. My brother has a '96 LT1 bird that's near stock with just a handheld tune. You never know what you are going to get with a 335. Could be 13.4 1/4 mile stock to high 11's with a few k in mods.

The tuner I'm using just put out some new maps and firmware that went 11.59 124.197 at the track with full bolt on's, meth injection + race gas. Here's the timeslip and videos if you are interested:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383454

* One of the bad things about the 335 (or any non-M car) is that it comes with an open diff. Once you get to 400whp an upgrade to LSD is needed for any traction in early gears. It's a pretty expensive mod for the 335 as BMW started welding the rings pretty early on in production to make it harder to do and push people to pay more for M's.

Last edited by scottp999; 05-09-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scottp999
Nice kill and nice car OP. My brother has a '96 LT1 bird that's near stock with just a handheld tune. You never know what you are going to get with a 335. Could be 13.4 1/4 mile stock to high 11's with a few k in mods.

The tuner I'm using just put out some new maps and firmware that went 11.59 124.197 at the track with full bolt on's, meth injection + race gas. Here's the timeslip and videos if you are interested:

* One of the bad things about the 335 (or any non-M car) is that it comes with an open diff. Once you get to 400whp an upgrade to LSD is needed for any traction in early gears. It's a pretty expensive mod for the 335 as BMW started welding the rings pretty early on in production to make it harder to do and push people to pay more for M's.
I hang out on E90post a lot, i love 335s!!! When i was looking for a car they were just a bit too much to be a realistic choice but i love them, and every time i drive one i regret not waiting out for one lol

They are no joke stock running low 13s and your right that it doesnt take much to get into 11s.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kills, man. Too bad he was a douche but there are a lot of them out there, regardless of the make and model of the car.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I was a little worried about running him from the dig, then was really surprised how much easier I pulled on him than from the roll. I really wish I would've been cool and could've talked, but I'm pretty sure the car was stock, sounds like I would've been in trouble if it wasn't stock.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Research?!? Research like that Taco Bell parking lot kind you just did you clueless idiot??? You actually think that 535 BMW's (not even gonna mention the slower 535xi that I was specifically referencing) run low 13's bone stock?? Got ANY proof of that? Cuz the magazines are pretty unanimous in stating the 535i is a 14 second car.

Now as far as that Bullshit claim that they make over 300rwhp bone stock: how do you figure? You putting your cute little pink moped on them rollers and helping them out? Because it would take that kinda "happy" dyno to show those numbers.

So lets get realistic here: taking a 14.0 @101mph car and adding 70-80rwhp (the max boost you can do without race gas or meth I recall being told) then you would have a mid to low 13 second car IF he could hook all that torque. And seeing as how those engines die off on the top end he had better not have a problem hooking!

Now comparing a pump gas tune only 535 to a full bolton LT1? My money is on the LT1 from a roll and probably the dig, too. Don't forget that the Camaro is also lighter!

Come back when you got proof. And I'm not talking about zit-faced Joe from that before mentioned Taco Bell parking lot jumping into this argument as your "Proof".
Wow Taco Bell research? Zit-faced Joe? What the **** are you talking about? The OP didn't race a 535 or a 535xi. The OP raced a 335i and thats what I'm talking about. If you actually read the thread, you are corrected that it is a 335i after your initial post by someone else. Then I posted, letting you know that a 335i can go 13's stock. I also educated you about the Juice Box tuners. The only mistake I made was 306 stock horsepower is the flywheel, not the wheels on the N54. So the N54 has about ~280rwhp stock. The 2010 N55 335i puts out 300hp stock.

Here's a 400hp+ dyno out of a N54 with minor bolt ons and tune:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...stock+335+dyno

Here's a 379rwhp dyno out of a bolt on N54 running on low boost, but tuned nonetheless:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...stock+335+dyno

Engines dying off at the top? Its a ******* twin turbo motor man. Since when does boost fall off at the top? These engines can run pretty aggressive boost maps 17-19psi on pump gas.

A Camaro is about 3390lbs and a 335i is about 3571lbs. Give or take 200lbs. Fat guy in the Camaro and its pretty much even with a skinny guy in the bimmer. Weight does give the camaro a little bit of an advantage, Ill give you that. Stock LT1s don't run much better than low 14s/high 13s, is a bolt on boat anchor LT1 (no offense) really going to run high 11s with full bolt ons? I don't think so. OP probably raced a stock 335i.

Originally Posted by scottp999

My best friend has a JB3 tuned E92 with some bolt ons and that thing never ceases to put a smile on my face. I love rolling in it/driving it because its pretty unsuspecting power wise. People aren't expect 400hp out of a bimmer that's not an M model. However his rear end is one of the main concerns now. Coming out of turns hard and applying power can get interesting. He doesn't too many problems with a straight launch though.

This is what I'm talking about. A couple mods and these cars are no joke. This alone is your "proof" that you are asking for, Sticks n Stones. Right here...I didn't even have to post it.
Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
I hang out on E90post a lot, i love 335s!!! When i was looking for a car they were just a bit too much to be a realistic choice but i love them, and every time i drive one i regret not waiting out for one lol

They are no joke stock running low 13s and your right that it doesnt take much to get into 11s.
I wanted one too, but even used they were a little out of my price range. Great cars though, and I lurk E90post as well...

More proof Sticks.

Pull your head out your *** buddy and do some research before you insult my intelligence.

Oh, and good kill OP.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Stock 335 tt's run bottom 13's stock I'd sure like to see that.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by QwikLSA
Stock 335 tt's run bottom 13's stock I'd sure like to see that.
Here's one:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335i-Timeslip-14476.html

Here's another:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335i-Timeslip-14724.html

Here's a 13.6:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335i-Timeslip-15214.html

Here's a 13.3 video showroom stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wei8N8JgwiU

Here's a 13.6 run stock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna0rhm4MGY

Stock 13.4 vs. a Vishnu tuned 13.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3fGWGCKJY

A stock 2v GT has problems breaking out of the 14s. LT1's run in the high 13 range to 14 second stock quarter miles. What so hard to get? If a 335i runs a 13.3 and a 2v GT runs a 14.3, that's a full second faster. Don't even get me started on 2v and LT1 automatics and how slow they are.

Subtraction compels you.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

You still don't get it do you? You keep trying to move the argument to 335's when you started calling bullshit on me over a post I made regarding 535's! What are you, a damn female? I'm gonna apologize to the OP here for twisting this around to 535's, but thats what I've been called a bullshitter on.

Back on track here and stop trying to change the subject. You are calling me out on my statements that:

1. 535's stock are equivelant to stock LT1's and Mustang GT's.
The 535's 300hp and 4000lbs tell the tale: argue your way out of that paper sack.

2. That a basic JB tune on pump gas and no other mods will lose to OP's (or any other properly setup) full bolton LT1.
This one is one you: we all know that a full bolton LT1 is normally in the high 12's. Can you prove a safe 91 octane (which is most states "premium" gas) pumg gas tune can be expected to best that?

3. That your twin turbo dream engine, in fact, does die off on the top end.
Too many LS1 guys on here know that answer to have to rely on my own experiences: it's been stated over and over again that from 100mph up is where a "even race" becomes a lose for the BMW. And I'm talking about 335i's here: No one ever bothers to post a 535 kill... guess they arent worth the write up?

4. Last but not least, I'm gonna give my opinion (which I believe is shared by quite a few others) on the whole "My 335i can run 11's with just a tune and race gas" storyline.
Having to put racegas in, and a racegas tune, before running is the exact damn equivelant of us LSx guys running nitrous. No difference.

Now if us LSx guys ran around going "eww, look at me! I managed to run mid-high 11's on nitrous!" - we'd be told "Here's your sign" Jeff Foxworthy style from our peers.

Guess what? Here's YOUR sign:

Old 05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Nice Kill op
Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM
***Repost Police***

Nitrous and race gas isn't the same.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

I hope whenever my dad lets me drive his new 335i, I can get some runs in. Sadly, he still has, and wants, his warrenty, so no modding yet. That Dinan **** is expensive
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Nitrous and race gas isn't the same.
I hear what you're saying, but it seriously is when comparing to a turbo car: you have to buy "your fuel" seperately, get it ready before hand with the right tune, not available all the time, expensive to use, etc. etc. Nitrous guys got to fill a bottle: race gas guys got to run there tanks empty than fill up with expensive race gas. When either runs out, the game is over... except the turbo guy will blow his car if he doesnt change his tune back over. If the nitrous guy is running his fuel through the regular injectors, his car just runs overly rich when his bottle runs out.

When comparing totally different engines, you CANNOT go by the basic measuring sticks used for a N/A build and compare it similiarly to a turbo small displacement build. They love to try and make the comparison that way and usually it works: but lets turn that around:

Do a head/cam/"normal" bolton mods to a 335i and see how it then runs. WITHOUT upping the turbo psi. "wanna race now?"

There JB tuner that enables them to run race gas (and whatever minor mods also are required?) cost right around what a basic nitrous kit costs. The nitrous and race gas fillups are similiar enough in cost: whats the problem comparing them?

Would a diesel guy be right to rip all over the BMW guy for "needing race gas" since there trucks can double there hp and torque without running different fuels? That give them the right to ridicule turbo gas cars?? Apples to Oranges my friend.

Quick Reply: LT1 Formula vs. BMW 335i