Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Skyline powered 240SX verse bolton GTO

Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Skyline powered 240SX verse bolton GTO

Heading to work, I come upon this at a stoplight:

Anyways, just as I'm 10' from the light it turns green and he jumps out. I get on it a bit to get side by side with this loud import and he goes WOT when my front bumper reaches his rear tire. I nail it from 25mph and am WOT fighting traction and I notice this car's *** end seems to be stepping out, too! Amazingly this guy is still side by side with me!

A sharp turn in the road ends that run at around 70mph with us door to door - I'll call it a draw even though he jumped me while still half a car ahead.

At the light we complement each other and decided to do a quick run after traffic pulled ahead of us. As I go to line us up at 25mph, he jumps early again before I'm at his rear bumper. He keeps the 1 car gap thru my 1st but at the top of 2nd I go rolling by him pretty quick. I let up at 90mph with aprx. 1 car on him.

POST SCRIPT:
Ends up he works at Boeing with me, not far from my shop. He says his car is/was a debadged '94 240SX that he swapped an entire Skyline front clip and drivetrain onto. Forgot what year Skyline, but he said it is the RB Turbo engine with around 250hp stock. He had a very large Turbo, with intercooler hidden upfront (I couldnt see it when I snapped the photos before talking to him). The caveat is that he is only running the stock 8-10psi right now.

Guess the Skyline turbo was a plastic wheel instead of ceramic?? Something like that so he upgraded it. His car is debadged and completely gutted with lightweight racing buckets up front. He never weighed it but I would guess it's close to 2000lbs. All in all a cool guy, just that he's only raced other imports and didnt know how to roll out on a 3 honk while door to door: "I thought you were going to jump me" he said. "No, us domestics refer to that as a Ricer Flyby." Then explained the 3 honk thing.

On a side note, you should have seen me trying to explain to the local import expert in my shop exactly what the hell this car was before I tracked the guy down: I thought it was a Honda by the looks of the tail lights, or maybe a Acura Type R. lol Ended up tracking him down just to find out what it was.

Sorry fellas, no rematches he said: he has too many tickets already and is gun shy of a 'real race'. Though I don't know if the cops would differentiate what we just did to a 'real race'.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 06-10-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if his car was only running 8-10 pounds he couldn't have been making that much power.. I have seen similar set ups with 14-18 psi making over 360-380 rwhp.. Then it's a way closer race..

But, good kill..Next time get a video man...
Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

I gave him hell over keeping it at the stock psi. He said that stock that Skyline V6 made more like 330-340 crank hp, underrated on purpose due to some unwritten agreement between manufacturers. Don't know, though I do know that it was quick.

He said the bigger turbo he put on it was more efficient than the stock one, so even though the psi was the same as the stock turbo, it should be making more power. ?? That make sense? I obviously don't know anything about turbo cars.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I gave him hell over keeping it at the stock psi. He said that stock that Skyline V6 made more like 330-340 crank hp, underrated on purpose due to some unwritten agreement between manufacturers. Don't know, though I do know that it was quick.

He said the bigger turbo he put on it was more efficient than the stock one, so even though the psi was the same as the stock turbo, it should be making more power. ?? That make sense? I obviously don't know anything about turbo cars.
First off, it's actually an Inline-6 (either an RB25 or RB26).

Different turbos do make different power at the same psi level, but major differences only really become apparent in higher boost levels (above 10 at least).
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Most of the ones ive seen out here in 240's are the RB25 which is the older 2.5L I-6. They are certainly capable of some good numbers but i would imagine the availability (or lack there of) and expense of parts would keep some from modding them too heavily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qOy4...eature=related

I have seen a one in a Miata putting down 550rwhp its a quick lil SOB too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70NnKNzhsuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pF8I...eature=related

Last edited by djsanchez2; 06-10-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
First off, it's actually an Inline-6 (either an RB25 or RB26).

Different turbos do make different power at the same psi level, but major differences only really become apparent in higher boost levels (above 10 at least).
Don't forget there is the RB20 I6 out of the non GT-R cars. Also Turbo and in the case of the 93 R32 only 210-215hp. I only know that cause a guy out here has a real R32 GTS. Cool car, the 25 and 26 motors can be very beastly indeed.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

He said it was "The 250hp turbo RB engine" which when I looked them up in wikipedia, was the RB25DEL. I don't know why he would totally gut his car and keep it on the stock psi. ?? According to a couple hours of research I did last night, the stock turbo/engine/drivetrain can make between 500-600rwhp. Longblock can handle alot more than that- think Supra power levels.

Oh well, thats his issue. All I know is I effectively owned me a much-hyped, Fast and Furious legendary Skyline.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

I think you mean the RB25DET, there is no RB25DEL.

I really wanted an RB25DET when I had my S13 years ago, but I settled for an SR20 because of available after market and because there wasn't much out there back then for an RB swap.

Nice kill.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good kill but IMO sounds like a pretty weak skyline motor. A good freind of mine has a turbo on the stock 2.4 KA truck motor with forged internals on 16 PSI and He runs a 12.3 @ 117 with a shitty 60ft (2.0 I think). A skyline motor should run way better than that. (it's probably the RB20 "budget" motor) My buddies car weighs 2650 lbs too without him in it to give you a good idea, and his is gutted with one seat as well. I would think a skyline engine is a bit heavier.

Good kill none the less though. Nice to beat thier "godzilla" engine in a bolt on GTO
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Weight wise it's just a guess: his car bone stock weighs 2700 according to wiki: and they said the stock is very heavy being all iron. So I assumed the RB engine being all auminum was lighter? Thought it was kinda odd that he would completely gut his car, put lightweight seats in it, and never have weighed it to see where he was at or what he gained.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

RB block is iron isnt it?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Sticks, is the car you raced red, or for the most part red? I have seen a beet up Skyline at the Clearview hangout a couple of times, is this the same guy? His car looks like a friggin golf ball, dents all over it and has a primered left front fender, same guy?

I have also seen another clean metalic red LHD skyline several times on I5 over the last coule of years.

Or is this the same clown that had the new GT-R at PR that sat on the sidelines until T&T was over then tried to sneek a pass in at the end but was booted LOL.
Fpr you guys that dont live in the PNW, we have a strange mix of hardcore Asian import crowd, small but impressive modern muscle crowd and a large group of old school muscle car following that isnt full of BS. On a rare sunny day, you never know what you are up against at a red light. Could have 900 RWHP or bone stock. Then toss in the common late model Ferrari / Lambo / Porsche etc.

I never forget the day I watched a real F40 lay waste to a S2000 in the I5 express lane carpool lane. Neither guy had a passenger.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Naw, the pics don't post for crap on this website, but it's actually dark metallic grey with back hood/roof/trunk with black 18"? C6 vette style rims. As far as imports go, this one is real low key: guy doesnt like the big fin, flashy paintjobs and monster protruding intercooler look.

Followed him to work again today, he actually wanted to play but the ground was wet. His 6 cylinder sounds like your typical 4banger import with a fartcan until he gets on it: it really opens up and sounds good.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 06-11-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
RB block is iron isnt it?
Yea it is. The RB25 (250 hp factory) is good for about 500 stock bottom end. The piston ring lands give out about there. The highest I've seen with stock bottom end is around 580, but I'm pretty sure that's just what he had setup for the dyno. I have a similar setup to his. Stock turbo on mine though. Mine is the same body style with RB25. For now I'm running stock boost because I still have 195's on the back. The stock turbo is either plastic or ceramic depending on the year, but either way is really only good for around 12 psi. 14 max. My plans are for around 500-600 rwhp and hoping for low 10's if not 9's. There are quite a few "stock" RB25 240's in the 12's. I say "stock" because usually with a swap you do intake, exhaust, and a few other odds and ends but still stock turbo and injectors and everything. The RB25 is definitely heavier than the stock KA. It's a heavy SOB with the turbo and everything. The lightest I've seen a 240 was low 2000's. Maybe around 2100 or 2200. I would say his would be closer to 2400 with the RB.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sxracerb25
Yea it is. The RB25 (250 hp factory) is good for about 500 stock bottom end. The piston ring lands give out about there. The highest I've seen with stock bottom end is around 580, but I'm pretty sure that's just what he had setup for the dyno. I have a similar setup to his. Stock turbo on mine though. Mine is the same body style with RB25. For now I'm running stock boost because I still have 195's on the back. The stock turbo is either plastic or ceramic depending on the year, but either way is really only good for around 12 psi. 14 max. My plans are for around 500-600 rwhp and hoping for low 10's if not 9's. There are quite a few "stock" RB25 240's in the 12's. I say "stock" because usually with a swap you do intake, exhaust, and a few other odds and ends but still stock turbo and injectors and everything. The RB25 is definitely heavier than the stock KA. It's a heavy SOB with the turbo and everything. The lightest I've seen a 240 was low 2000's. Maybe around 2100 or 2200. I would say his would be closer to 2400 with the RB.
Thanks man, you learn something new every day. And I guess his car could be in the high 12's: I didnt appreciably pull on him until 70-80? or so, and he had great traction (I would say he had 235/45/18's or maybe even 245/45/18's).
Old 06-13-2010, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr2001ss
Don't forget there is the RB20 I6 out of the non GT-R cars. Also Turbo and in the case of the 93 R32 only 210-215hp. I only know that cause a guy out here has a real R32 GTS. Cool car, the 25 and 26 motors can be very beastly indeed.
Don't forget there's also an RB30 we have them down here in NZ & so does Aust, they are single cam.
Some guys building the engines will put on the RB25 twin cam head plus turbo etc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Skyline powered 240SX verse bolton GTO