Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

7am race (mazdaspeed 6)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 7am race (mazdaspeed 6)

Woke up late for work, so I was in a little bit of a hurry to get there. I was getting on the highway a little quicker than usual but nothing crazy. I saw a Mazdaspeed 6 in the line of cars I passed but wasn't about to try to wait for him to race.

I jump onto the highway doing 70 and I see some HIDs jump out a few lanes to the side and coming up fast. Its the ms6. I don't give chase since its a cop favorite for hiding but a mile or 2 down the road he was slowed a bit so I caught up. He swerved a little through traffic which was wasn't going to do but I changed a couple lanes when they were open at which point he hit a slow spot and I passed him with a rev to see if he's game. He jumps out right away and follows me.

I jump over a lane and he gets next to me. I pace him and roll down my window to try and tell him 3 honks. Right as I start my 1st honk, he honks too. Never had that happen before, but I just keep honking (he doesn't) and on my 3rd we go.

Starting in 3rd at 65 was good since anything lower in 20-30* weather will be spin city. I pull immeadiately, look back at the top of 3rd with him about 3 back, and run 4th to 110ish and let off but ddnt look back since traffic was approaching.

Took him a while to catch up but when he did he clapped and pointed at me. I waved and he took off. I didn't bother and just stayed around 70 or 75. Cool guy, midde aged maybe late 30s. Always wanted to run a speed6.

Looked it up and they about on par with a stock lt1, little slower in traps but awd helps et. I thought they were a twin turbo v6 but turns out its a 284hp turbo 4 banger. Couldn't tell if it was modded, my cars too loud and didn't hear a lot of turbo or exhaust so probably stock but debadged.

**written from phone
Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kill, good to run into someone who knows how to honk it off.

From a roll the speed 6 is much slower than the speed 3. Same engine, but a few hundred pounds more and AWD doesn't help.

My buddy's speed 3 was a solid 108-109 car, full weight with bolt ons/tune but it turned into a reliability nightmare thanks to the finicky direct injection system.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good puppy kicking Sean. LOL
Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

great kill, dont know much about the MS6 - arent they actually slower then the MS3?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beans

From a roll the speed 6 is much slower than the speed 3. Same engine, but a few hundred pounds more and AWD doesn't help.

My buddy's speed 3 was a solid 108-109 car, full weight with bolt ons/tune but it turned into a reliability nightmare thanks to the finicky direct injection system.
My friend had a Speed 3 until a Ford deisel 4x4 crewcab decided to rearend it at 70mph and punt it across the highway like a football a few months ago. He always swore they were super easy to mod to 700+whp: was he full of it?
Originally Posted by sujomatt
great kill, dont know much about the MS6 - arent they actually slower then the MS3?
Yes. See above.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beans

Never knew they were slower. Like I said, I thought it was a TT V6. I've heard about the reliability issues, but never knew what the problems were. Got any info?

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Hey man, I'll take what I can get in late December. :lol I pulled an insta-bus!

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
My friend had a Speed 3 until a Ford deisel 4x4 crewcab decided to rearend it at 70mph and punt it across the highway like a football a few months ago. He always swore they were super easy to mod to 700+whp: was he full of it?

Yes. See above.

700whp is always easy no matter what car, with enough cash.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Good kill, I was surprised he didn't leave on the first honk
Old 12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

The honking was a little confusing so I just kept doing it and he took off fine. Like I said, it's about on about with a stock LT1, so it wasn't pretty. I was hoping for a modded one.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
He always swore they were super easy to mod to 700+whp: was he full of it?
Lol, that platform is a nightmare to make more than 350whp with. I don't think anyone has made 500+. Like i said, my buddy had a solid little setup so i know a lot about them.

The direct injection system sucks, simply put. It's very difficult to fuel and tune any real power. My friend was having tons of issues with part throttle knock, which is why he sold the car. With all the breather mods the part throttle fueling was just way off. He tried several tunes, a couple different 1700+psi fuel pumps and finally got so fed up with it he set it back to stock, drove it for a month and unloaded it.

They are notorious for blowing motors at low/part throttle. It's my understanding that they use multiple part throttle maps, which aren't necessarily changed when the WOT map is tuned. So you can tune the car to run great wide open, and then you go up a hill on the highway, knock and snap a rod. If it were conventionally injected it would be a good platform to make power, but DI has some serious drawbacks, especially on the Mazdas.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Default hmm

Good kill op. Like taking candy from a middle aged ricer.....
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
+1 i would think even modded it would have a tough time against u on the freeway, his only chance would be to get u from a dig and hope u spin and he'd better be modded. an intake and tbe ms6 was even with my friends is350 with catback from a dig
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Launching!

the ms6 are slow i was really disappointed with them when i raced my buddies brothers in my dakota with stock 360, from a dig he only took me cause i spun caught up to him but ran out of road before i could pass.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Must have been a pretty modded 5.9 Dakota... my stock Integra GS-R had no problem with the 5.9R/Ts, and the MS6 is definitely faster than a stock GS-R.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Launching!

nope. only tune, headers, 4.56 gear.

Last edited by overhere; 03-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by overhere
the ms6 are slow i was really disappointed with them when i raced my buddies brothers in my dakota with stock 360, from a dig he only took me cause i spun caught up to him but ran out of road before i could pass.
speed is subjective but MS6's are "LT1 fast" + awd traction. take that for whatever its worth. Im sure theyre fun cars to drive.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

My best friend has an MS6, that mother fker can pull! it is a fast little 4 banger, don't underestimate them when modded, he took a crack at an LS2 Vette, and lost by a car. hung with him. a damn bolt for a mirror adds 20 HP, but on the backend reliability of the car is the worst. he's had problems up and down but that car is a beast. when modded correctly I don't think they are to be taken lightly.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

*Stock* LS2 Vette lol
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jkr2wld
My best friend has an MS6, that mother fker can pull! it is a fast little 4 banger, don't underestimate them when modded, he took a crack at an LS2 Vette, and lost by a car. hung with him. a damn bolt for a mirror adds 20 HP, but on the backend reliability of the car is the worst. he's had problems up and down but that car is a beast. when modded correctly I don't think they are to be taken lightly.
what kind of reliability problems do they have???
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
what kind of reliability problems do they have???
-Various direct injection issues- Fueling and tuning problems, sometimes causing motors to blow, and making big turbo fuel impossible.
-Carbon buildup issues (Not like anything you guys are used to, DI engines, especially those with EGR/PCV recirc into the intake get MAJOR carbon in the intake runners, not something you can seafoam. Audis can lose 40+hp because of this)
-Weak motor mounts
-Weak rear diffs
-EGR problems
-Oil buildup throughout intake system thanks to PCV, common on many turbo cars
-Oil consumption
-Must be short shifted to get the most from them (stock)

*A community filled with 98% mechanically inept toolbags who don't know the first thing about building/racing cars. Big turbos that make no power because they can't fuel them, LOW quality aftermarket parts that people keep buying, few innovators/pioneers willing to take risks, the list just goes on.

The people who do have a clue usually sell them and buy an STI, Evo, 5.0, or something LSx. My buddy bought a tow vehicle and is now Miata shopping. He's going to build a turbo miata for some road race fun. The way he put it was, "i'm going to buy a miata, you're going to make it fast". He's a suspension guy, i'm more of an engine guy, between the two of us that thing will be a road course weapon.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cousin has one, and i guess those MazdaSpeed 6 are pretty rare from what he was telling me. His is that metallic gray, and looks pretty sweet.

I know his car is pretty much all stock and it comes turboed and AWD.

Quick Reply: 7am race (mazdaspeed 6)