Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

MOPAR = SLOW CAR (x2)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MOPAR = SLOW CAR (x2)

(Very long read, so skip to the bold if you only want the races.)

Yesterday I decided to drive up to Mizzou, girlfriend's school, for a visit. It's about a 100 mile drive all 1 highway pretty much. It had rained earlier in the morning but the roads were pretty dry and since I'm selling the car Sunday, I was hoping to get one last run in before it's gone.

I leave my house and start heading for the highway. Out from a neighborhood comes the RX8 that I had slaughtered this weekend. I noticed him behind me at the light where I was turning right, but ignored him since he seemed like somewhat of a douche the other day. I make my right and heading down the road towards the highway MMOB when he comes flying up next to me in a low gear and honks to get my attention. I look over, he waves so I give him a "yes I remember you but no we aren't friends" look/wave and carry on while he almost rearends the van in front of him in the attempt to get me to notice him.

Again, he's behind me at a light and I was watching to make sure he didn't rearend me and didn't notice that a black S197 (05-09) Mustang pulls up next to me. I'm about a mile or a mile and a half from the highway, so I really hoping he goes out there with me. I noticed it had exhaust, and the passenger rolls down the what had to be 5% tinted windows. Unfortunately, the passenger couldn't have been mroe than 16 and the driver no more than 18. The gave me a small rev as the light goes green, I would never race here but I decided to get up to like ~3500 before I shifted. They looked over at me, I had a **** eating grin and the passenger looked like he shook his head at the driver before rolling the window up. Much to my dismay, they turned off just before the highway. Damn.

Fast forward 20 minutes into the highway haul, and I see a black GC SRT8 coming down the ramp onto the highway. Unfortunately, the roads are a bit slick here for whatever reason, guess it rained more recently out there than at home, so I'm thinking I'll be 0 for 2 today. To make things worse, traffic picked up a bit and it's only 2 lanes wide on my side. ****.

About 15 minutes later, traffic lightens up and the roads are dry. I've been sitting with cruise control on at about 75 since it opened up to 65 like 10 miles ago. I had forgot about the SRT8 at this point. The speed limit increased to 70 so I hit the accelerate button to bring my cruise speed to 80 when I hear a deep bellow next to me and notice the SRT8 just cruise on by. It was pretty loud, and the center mount exhaust was bigger than usual. Sweet, a modded SRT8 to run. I guess he thought the noise coming from me speeding up the cruise control was me trying to accelerate.

[A little background, I've haven't good luck running SRT8s. I've raced a 300, he didn't know how to line up a race and jumped everytime, still pulled him a little in a short race; raced a Challenger, and he blew the launch from a dig and then thought 60 roll meant just take off when you hit 60, even if I'm still on the entrance ramp to a highway 3 cars back; when I raced a Charger I was bone stock and had the best SRT8 race I ever had, ran door to door with him to 130, he had a passenger. Only things I've never run is a Magnum and GC, but that could change now!]

It takes a while for me to get beside him, since he jumped into my lane in front of the car ahead of me after the flyby but eventually I do catch up. As I jump in the other lane to get beside him, he pulls into the lane I am in. Annoying but oh well, I'm getting this race. I jump in the other lane, drop into 5th and try to get beside. As I am rolling up, I see the driver physically turn around and look to find where I had gone. He was a typical mid 40s looking guy and it seems he wanted to play!

I roll up beside him and motion for him to slow down, since we were going 85-90, but he doesn't understand me and rolls his window down and yells "what?! (my windows were down the whole ride, regardless of the 35* temps). He inadvertently slowed down while doing this, so I turn cruise off and put it in neutral so I can talk (which is slightly hard since he is up a little ). I yell, "let's go from 50" and he just nails the brakes to get there right away. The traffic behind us probably wasn't pleased but oh well, we're in the middle of nowhere with the closest car in front of us 1/2 mile ahead. I was rolling about 75 so I threw it in 3rd to slow down. I wasn't expecting him to know the honks, and he didn't but when I got around 50, he held up 3 fingers out the window and starts counting down with fingers just low enough so I can see the tips of them (pointing down). Sweet! Here we go. 3...2...1...

We're off. This is a great spot for me, but he sounded like he had manually put the car down a couple gears (do they maybe have paddles or a "slapstick" fake DSG thing?) so he was ready too. He jumped ever so slightly and got a fender out on me, but I quickly stopped that even with a tiny spin on the hit. Ripped 3rd, and he was already at my rear bumper. At the top of 3rd I look to see him back 2 cars more, nail 4th and run it to around 110 and let off with him wayyyyyyyyyy behind (guess he let off sooner than I did).

I let him catch up to see if he wants another run, but he just comes up and throws a thumb up. I wave, put it in neutral so I can ask what's done, but he kept on driving. Oh well, cool guy. I got my race so I'm happy with getting my last race...

WRONG. Up from behind us is a Charger tailgating the **** out of me (I was only going like 65 in all fairness). He whips around me and does a fly by and gets next to the Jeep. It was silver, blacked out with black wheels and an AEM sticker as well as a Magnaflow sticker on the rear window. He was de-badged so at this point I have no idea if he's an SRT or an R/T.

They get next to each other, with me behind the Charger a car or 2 going around 60. The Charger takes off, the SRT quickly follows suit. I only dropped to 4th and half throttled to kind of keep up, should have went all out , but it looked like the SRT had a car or 2 on the Charger when they let out at what had to be over 100 but the R/T kept going when I saw the SRT brake lights.

At this point, I figure he's a modded R/T and I'd kill him so I throw it in 6th and hit cruise control again. To my surprise, the R/T drops back eventually to run me. The Jeep drops back behind us as we near each other, and after seeing the take off stunt he pulled on the Jeep, I would be ready for it. When he next to me at about 60, I drop it into 3rd and he took off a moment later, with me hitting it a split second after that...

As we both hit it, I put some distance between my rear bumper and his front pretty quick; hit 4th and it's more of the same, but he's still in it looks like so I run out 4th, probably but a bus+ on him, and let off but I see him reeling me in quick...guess he didn't want to lose.

Later down the road, he gets next to me so I give him a point and a 90s style "L" meaning he lost, and he just floors it and takes off. I drop it into 3rd, reel him in and get in front of him and throw a thumbs down as I go by him. He got in front of me and stayed there until I lost sight of him.

All in all, pretty fun trip. I could have made this much shorter, but seeing as I'm sitting at my girlfriend's house with all her roommates gone, I had nothing better to do than write a novel. I might try to get some runs with some local guys today or tomorrow before I leave since I'm on a forum up here.

Oh, and my friend texted me yesterday asking if I wanted to run an 04 Cobra, intake/exhaust/pulley/tune. I told him that would be a waste of his gas and he said he just wants to run someone. I told him digs only then, so I might take him up on it tomorrow. I don't expect to be anywhere near the guy but oh well, he just bought it (back) and wants to have some fun. Might need to get a faster car out for him as well. I'll post up if either of those happen.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome kills!

Buddy has one of the jeeps, they're pretty slick rides for sure.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kills.

I raced a Red SRT8 jeep 2wks ago and that thing was mean, It sounded amazing. We raced from 55mph up to 140 and I could only pull a car length on him.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, not a bad last drive!

Whats the plan after the sale of the Fbody?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Probably going to wait until late spring/ early summer at the earliest to buy another "nice" car. My dad was going to sell me the focus for cheap but he wants to keep it so for now ill be getting a cheap $1000-1500 beater honda or the like just for good gas mileage with as much as I drive. Pretty sure it'll be another fbody but less than 50k miles and some bigger plans for it. I have a local ported/pullied/e85 cobra as my target to beat n/a, maybe a shot on top. Just going to buy parts as I go then buy the car when I find a good deal, though I already found one I want. (this winter has had me playing with the idea of a subie too).

That cobra race probably isn't happening, its raining at home and there's about 1/2 inch of snow/sleet on the ground here in just over an hour.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

A subie, eh? Going to join the "I need a built motor to make 350whp" crowd?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Are you serious? If so, that's pathetic.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy had a 06 WRX and had transmission problems after your basic bolt-on's and Cobb tuning. Was NOT cheap. Also leaked oil, etc. Lemon of a car

Another acquaintance has a 06 STi I believe and he has oil problems, etc. with his

Evo FTW
Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Evos tend to sound more like your typical 4banger weed whacker sound. The boxers sound great in Subies. WRXs are known for their glassbox transmissions, STi's are muchhh better.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kills. You seem to get in tons of races now that you have 'sold' your car! maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't sell it? --- or a sign that you SHOULD sell it? lol
Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WSsick
Evos tend to sound more like your typical 4banger weed whacker sound. The boxers sound great in Subies. WRXs are known for their glassbox transmissions, STi's are muchhh better.
I don't think EVOs sound anything like the stereotypical Honda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOfrUVuNAE

At WOT they sort of do, but then so do Subarus.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

Are you serious? If so, that's pathetic.
Stock pistons are garbage, and they have oiling issues that leads to rod bearing failures.

Bolt on cars destroy stock pistons, it's common.

In terms of sound Subaru >>> Mitsu all day. I just wouldn't want to have to build a motor to make mediocre power reliably.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Good kills. You seem to get in tons of races now that you have 'sold' your car! maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't sell it? --- or a sign that you SHOULD sell it? lol
Pretty crazy I know. I'm selling it for sure though, I paid $8,000 for it and I'm getting $7,500 after almost 2 years and 13k miles. I got my moneys worth and I'm making like $3,000 off the deal so I'm taking it. What sucks is since I'm still 100 miles away, I have to drive it home after it just snowed/iced/rained/sleeted all day yesterday.

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
I don't think EVOs sound anything like the stereotypical Honda...

At WOT they sort of do, but then so do Subarus.
They do sound a little different at idle, at least in that video, btu I think part throttle and definitely WOT it's that typical 4banger sound.

Originally Posted by Beans
Stock pistons are garbage, and they have oiling issues that leads to rod bearing failures.

Bolt on cars destroy stock pistons, it's common.

In terms of sound Subaru >>> Mitsu all day. I just wouldn't want to have to build a motor to make mediocre power reliably.
That's really shitty. I never knew that. We have a local shop doing a full overhaul on a BRAND NEW STi, made it like ~7k miles before blowing. Edit: Turbo let go.

(sound) STi > EVO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWBli...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vupPzs2QmU

Last edited by WSsick; 02-25-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Here's the build I was talking about:

Originally Posted by purperformance
We had a customer we do all the work on his vehicles, normally I wouldnt take on a car like this when I am this busy, but this is his pops car, and he didnt want to go to another shop he doesnt trust and have a full build done. After some research, I decided to take it on, Im pretty stoked as this will break up the monotony a little bit being totally different. I addressed this as I do all of the big builds, over kill on everything and lots of power. I like to take driving skill out of the equation of making something fast, , give somebody enough power and it will haul *** whether they can drive or not, especially awd. Im really excited to see this thing done and see the times we can get it running. Car will be pump gas with meth, its a daily driver so 93 oct is really the only option where these guys are from. Goal is 600hp, really like to see 700 if we can get it on kill, we will see. Ill post pics as we get it done, its all apart now, just waiting on the block to get back from darton and parts to show up.

2011 Subaru WRX STi 7k miles

AMS 900hp Capable Shortblock Consisting of

JE Forged Pistons 8.5:1 Std. Bore, JE Upgraded Wrist
Pins
Manley I-beam Rods
K1 Lightweight Billet Crank 79mm
Darton Ductile Iron Sleeves Installed in New OEM Short Block
ARP Hardened Block Case Bolts
High Performance Clevite Rod & Main Bearings
Precision AMS Spec Machine Work on Block
Precise, documented hand assembly

We are having our porter do the heads, titanium retainers, and valve springs, plan on spinning this thing close to 9k.

AMS 900X Turbo Kit .82 A/R (rotated)
Front Mount Intercooler
Tial 44mm Wastgate
Tial Blow-Off

3 Bar Map Sensor
Deatschwerks 1300cc Injectors
Custom CNC Twin Fuel Pump Hat we are making
Twin Deatschwerks 340's
Fore F2 Regulator
-8 Feed
-6 Return
Aeromotive Rails

Exedy Triple Disc Clutch
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Holy ****..That'll be the day. When I get up walk to the bathroom take a long look in the mirror and and say. "Today Im selling my Fbody for a nice car...................A Subaru"

WTF man keep the Fbody...I honestly have a lot of respect for Fbodies no matter what car Im in. As I know their is always the slight chance I will run into a Fbody that will drag my ***.

Had to edit my post...See the subie thing was a joke and you may get a cobra...Good to hear
Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Wut? I never said I was getting a Cobra, I said I might be racing one...which is no longer happening because winter decided to return. The only reason I said I was playing with the idea of a Subie was because of the terrible winter we had here. Probably going back to another f-body though, just not soon.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading comprehension is not a strong point for Killemall, but neither is writing and driving.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

I'll give you a run in a Mopar if you like .

As far as Subies, eh, they are cool to look at when done up nicely, but they are a poor platform IMO. The blocks are weak, internals suck from the factory, and tranny's blow.

Evo is a much better platform, a local one just made 620whp on a Mustang AWD dyno and the thing rips. He's hoping for 680whp at TX2K11. He's at the beginning and end of this vid I made (pre tune). The first race is vs. a 9 sec Fox.

http://vimeo.com/13685940
Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Please don't get Killemall started on Vipers.

The title was really a joke. Trust, I've probably watched that video more than you have. I love it. What program do you use?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I'll give you a run in a Mopar if you like .

As far as Subies, eh, they are cool to look at when done up nicely, but they are a poor platform IMO. The blocks are weak, internals suck from the factory, and tranny's blow.

Evo is a much better platform, a local one just made 620whp on a Mustang AWD dyno and the thing rips. He's hoping for 680whp at TX2K11. He's at the beginning and end of this vid I made (pre tune). The first race is vs. a 9 sec Fox.

http://vimeo.com/13685940
That was a hard-running SRT4 for a 16G!

Quick Reply: MOPAR = SLOW CAR (x2)