Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ws6 vs maxima sv and gti

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ws6 vs maxima sv and gti

Please forgive me I'm new at all of this. (also sorry for the length and terrible video -blackberry phone mounted to the windshield)
Background:
I've had my 99 ws6 for about 7 months (driving it about 4 of those due to winter). This is my first car (rest are lifted trucks) and my first stick --> not great yet but working on it.

1st race was back in the summer on the second day of ownership (also second day of driving a stick) I'm sitting in the left lane at a light when a new vw gti (turbo) pulls up next to me and an sti behind me. I'm boxed in! Light turns green and gti takes off to a 2 car lead. I obviously didn't launch to well. catch him by the top of second and am door to door. Miss third gear. gti pulls out about one car. once I figure out where than metal stick should go I pull back up next to him through 4th and just edge him out by a fender around 115.

2nd ever race: today on the back mountain roads of mexico at night. I catch up to a 2010 nissan maxima sv. Fairly sure it was stock (290 hp factory). He obvious has more experience than me and knew the roads. We get to an area that opened up to two lanes. he taps his brakes and I quickly shift down to third (40mph). He takes off and I quickly follow. That thing sure is peppy with its cvt tranny and he pulled away very quickly.
Sadly traffic and fedex trucks slow us down and we couldn't get anymore races in. Hopefully I'll see him again on a highway and can get a better jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-klbi9RfuP0

always see alot of new mustangs and new ss camaros that are going the opposite way or have no interest in racing hopefully the summer will be better.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn man downshift that bitch to 2nd instead next time and you would have blown his doors in. A 290 crank HP maxima should never "pull" on a 99 WS6 lol. Those things are boats. Practice driving that car some more and find that guy again to get some revenge!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

will do!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As the owner of a 08 GTI and a WS6, I know that there is potential in some of those V-Dubbs. However, you need more practice. My stock GTI is NO match for my suspension and slightly tuned WS6. Its possible you ran into a modded one but I would bet it was lightly modded with a driver mod. And vw's dsg shifts faster than you ever will. GTI's can come with either 6-speed manual or dsg.