Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The Genesis 4.6 takes out a 40th anniversary GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The Genesis 4.6 takes out a 40th anniversary GT

Gotta love a saturday evening cruise after an outback dinner lol.

Cruisin down a 2 lane pretty empty hwy, lights are maybe 1/2mi apart. business district. This Orange V6 Challenger with gramps and Grandma come flying up next to me and they're checking the Genesis out as we slow for a light (both looking and talking to one another). i removed all traces that it's a Hyundai inside and out so unless they can read the "Genesis" on the tiny wings they probably STILL don't know what the hell it was.

So light turns green and Gramps takes off with a tire chirp so i kick it down at about 20 or so and fly past by 60mph sucking the paint off the pumpkin. As i do this i realize a black older GT convertible is coming up quickly in my mirror. He passes the Challenger and gets in the right line and we slow for a yellow turning red. The challenger is a non issue but i found it funny Gramps went three wide in the jug handle lane.

So GT boy is all focused (as to not blow the launch i guess) i switch the ESC off which basically allows for .00001% of fun with this car, it only allows like 60% throttle in all of 1st gear...gay, but i still like it (what's that say about me? ) I preload the car up to about 1500, light turns and as expected my car goes "chirp" and i'm out. GT boy hooked up well, he can drive? what's going to happen? his 1st gear i have about a fender and door on him, he hits second and i just start pulling away. by 100mph i had more than 3 cars on him, he was getting smaller, fast.

Challenger? have no clue if he bothered but he was way back there. i transferred to his lane late (cause i had to turn at the next light) so the GT flips and goes left lane and rolls up, i'm thinking he'l want to BS real quick, but nope, kid stayed behind me and i couldn't tell until i looked at this pic but he was trying to tell what 4 door sedan just smacked him down lol.. Car sounded stock with the usual catback or muffler swap. anyway, thought you guys would get a kick out of the wife's "Hyundai sedan" laying the smackdown on some unsuspecting Pony..

the Victim

the "Victor"

lest you think i was lying about the complete "de-hyundaing" of this vehicle

even the airbag is from Hyundai in Korea, american versions have the "H"

unlike the pic of the rear i have since removed the "GENESIS 4.6" leading to more confusion.

cliff notes: Genesis 4.6 beats '04 5spd GT vert by 3cars 0-100(ish)

Last edited by TonyGXP; 07-17-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kill on the turds. It's so nice to see how car companies are upping the horsepower on all cars now. Now that the G8 isn't produced I wonder if Chevy will make a high HP sedan.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
Good kill on the turds. It's so nice to see how car companies are upping the horsepower on all cars now. Now that the G8 isn't produced I wonder if Chevy will make a high HP sedan.
i am tempted to check out the '12 5.0 R-Spec, that runs 109+ in the 1/4 (compared to this one which does between 103-105 depending on he test-er), should be pretty fun. Invoice is like $45k and there's almost $2k of holdback so it can probably be had for under $44 (once the hype dies down, there's like three in the US right now)

PS, if GM made something close to this car for near the price (paid $37k for it all options) i would own it.

Almost forgot, i am running regular in my car too, so it's only putting out (crank) maybe 375hp or so according to Hyundai, 91 or higher is 385hp. that makes the GT look even worse lol
Old 07-17-2011, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

good stuff OP
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

That's a pretty sharp looking car. A lot of styling cues from mercedes, bmw, and lexus.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
That's a pretty sharp looking car. A lot of styling cues from mercedes, bmw, and lexus.
Yea I have to agree, I'm not a fan of cars like that but, if I had the income it seems like a tempting buy.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
they really went to town taking cues from all those listed and you forgot G35/7.

from the side at a distance it looks identical to a G35/37 lol just alot longer. I'm impressed by the craftsmanship on these cars, if you haven't checked them out up close stop by a dealer just to see what GM should be building by way of a large rwd sedan. there's no reason they can't build a buick like this, not one reason other than a bunch of real lazy designer/engineers. friggin car gets 27-29mpg at 80mph on the hwy at 4250lbs. i slow down to 65 and it gets over 30mpg? no failing DOD lifters to be had, no DI.. It pains me to own this car because it is foreign. but i am sick of the american BS, even the chrysler 300/charger has a pedestrian interior and are almost indistinguishable from the rental fleets at enterprise? it's a step up but not "out".. just pull a hyundai and copy the automakers from germany and highend Japanese mfr's and give us what we are asking for.. idiots rant over, sorry.

ps, here's the shot that shows the "Infiniti" style

previous version "M35/45"

and G35/37

it's all about the angles, from S class, side G35/37, rear 5 series and/or older Infiniti M35/45..

cues from older S class

Last edited by TonyGXP; 07-17-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Great looking car man, and good kills
Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Hey ..Yo Tony from NJ...Just kidding... Just making believe I am Tony Soprano.

Anyway..Nice ride man. It seem like you have got the GT beat. It looks like you are going to have to step up your game and run some faster cars now.

for the record though, the quality of the cars made oversees has nothing to do with "lazy designer/engineers" here in America. It is a matter of cost and profit.
In the USA, we have something called the UAW. They make sure that the workers are paid nicely with good benefits and a nice retirement plan. This money has to come from somewhere. The money comes from the cut on the quality of the parts and the manufacturing techniques that is used to build them. If they do not cut down on something and continue to pay the good wages and benefits, than the vehicle's price would not be competitive with other car manufacturers.
As a matter of fact, engineers in this country have a more difficult task of maintaing time and cost budgets more than others because of the fact that workers have a descent pay rate.
To say that engineer/desginers are lazy in America is a ridiculous statement. Last time I checked, 2+2 in Japan is the same as in the US. All the BS of German Engineering and Japenes "this" and "that" is all a marketing scheme. Don't fall for it. It simply comes down to profit and loss.

Last edited by MACH32V; 07-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Teching In

New Edge GT's are not fast. A 8 model year old car with 260 Crank HP isn't going to win much nowadays.

Heavily modded GT's are usually fairly respectable but I am willing to bet this was near stock with likely 220 RWHP...
Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black*Death
New Edge GT's are not fast. A 8 model year old car with 260 Crank HP isn't going to win much nowadays.

Heavily modded GT's are usually fairly respectable but I am willing to bet this was near stock with likely 220 RWHP...
Sounds like somebody is mad the 2v lost lol

Good kill OP.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

If I was in the market for a Hyundai sedan, I'd go straight to the Equus.
Just for its badass interior:

Ten years ago, I never thought I'd see a hyundai with that kind of interior.
Only downside is that it starts out over 12 grand more than the 5.0 Genesis.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill. 4.6 beat a 4.6 I'm telling you about these mustangs.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black*Death

kinda like 99 model Cobras ^_^
Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only way id get the new genesis 5.0 is if they put it in the coupe. which supposedly they are as a mustang competitor.

Quick Reply: The Genesis 4.6 takes out a 40th anniversary GT