Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

06 GTO vs. cammed ls camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I still think a lid/catback ls1 fbody is stock ls2 goat territory. I also think a lid/catback ls1 fbody is also stock fifth gen territory as well. . After modding it seems that ls1s need to overcome the smaller displacement, and the ls2 goats and ls3/l99 Camaros need to overcome weight. Just my opinion from what I've seen. Either way, they are all decent and can be made fast as hell!
yeah pretty much. But i think the LS3 Camaro has an ever so slight advantage (+1mph) vs. the LS2 GTO and the GTO has a very small advantage (+1mph) vs an LS1 F-Body. all stock of course.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Very cool convert man, I do miss that old muscle a bit! You never get that out of your systeme! Once I get the camaro paid off, I may have a 442 sitting next to it! LOL
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PBMGTO
W

How u figure??...Most full bolt on ls1 fbods put down 340ish ls2 goats put that down bone stock to the paper filter..

340ish? With FULL bolt ons?

Am I the only one that picked this out of everything thats been said? Unless you count full bolt ons to exclude heads and intake manifold, then youre on a ****** completely different planet, as well as the two guys that agreed with you...

A friend has a stock ls1 with headers, slp lid, and a tune and makes 320whp.

What Ls1s have you seen that only make 340 with FULLLLLLLL BOLT ONS? Not trying to start **** here, but am I missing something?

I dont get it...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hendrixx

Am I the only one that picked this out of everything thats been said? Unless you count full bolt ons to exclude heads and intake manifold, then youre on a ****** completely different planet, as well as the two guys that agreed with you...

What Ls1s have you seen that only make 340 with FULLLLLLLL BOLT ONS? Not trying to start **** here, but am I missing something?

I dont get it...
heads and cam are not a bolt-on. Full bolt-ons does include intake manifold though. 340ish is spot on for a full bolton LS1
Old 12-14-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm pretty sure over 90% of the full bolt-on LS1's I've seen are in the 340-350whp range.

hendrixx, what whp range are you thinking for full bolt on LS1?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Your down in Indy right... first you were just a lid and a muffler and now your tuned... You havent mentioned ANYTHING about you tuning your car. That makes BIG diff you think!
the car has not been to a track in 2 years. it got "tuned" maybe 2 months ago. it has not been on a track after the tune. it ran those times LONG beforehand. besides, it's not even close to a professional tune. my buddy overlaid a tune he had on his bolt-on car, we pulled timing where it was knocking and left it be. it is far from optimal. we had 5 pulls and maybe an hour tied up in the whole thing.

yes, i have been to 41, but only on private rentals. i've been wanting to go to an scc event, but my work schedule does not allow. if i do make it i will not be racing this car.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Really, so all this ******* big talk and why would you not race Dude I am done with you! Stop talking ****... I ******* hate these internet racers that run a few slow cars on the street and think they know how it all goes down and never even go to the track! You have NO IDEA what your car would run or how anything would go down at this point! DONE... drive your car back and forth to work and keep telling yourself how fast you are, because your the only one that is ever going to believe it.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
yeah pretty much. But i think the LS3 Camaro has an ever so slight advantage (+1mph) vs. the LS2 GTO and the GTO has a very small advantage (+1mph) vs an LS1 F-Body. all stock of course.
Yeah that's why I compared a lid/catback (cutout) fbody rather than stock to the paper filter. The differences are marginal although, modding changes things. The 6.0 and 6.2 make better power respectively than a 5.7 when modifying. But there is still that initial weight difference to overcome. That weight, and 20" rims are more difficult to overcome than the fbodys displacement is in some ways. Fifth gen just doesn't look right with 18s imo.
Originally Posted by hendrixx

I dont get it...
Many of them put down around that. Don't forget the "what's your definition of FULL bolt on" crap threads either! Basically a full exhaust, lid/cai, tuned ls1 fbody puts down 330-345rwhp (a4) and 340-355rwhp (m6) on average. Sure there are exceptions, and the guys that dropped the extra time and money on FAST combos and ewps and udps deserve every little bit extra they can get. But that is not the normal "full bolt on" that I usually see.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

In my experiences an 01-02 well driven Fbody M6 and a 6.0 Goat is a driver's race from a dig.

I never understood that hate that Goats seem to bring. The ones I have driven are rock solid and feel nice! They are a tad heavy but that can be corrected.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

I dont hate any of these cars, I think there all bad ***! It is a shame all the bickering, but what else we do in the winter
Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Didn't mean you-just car guys locally I meet. They DESPISE that GTO no matter if its 5.7 or 6.0
Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, they are idiots sir! We have some around these parts too!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

LS1 Tech! Where haters hate
Old 12-18-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Really, so all this ******* big talk and why would you not race Dude I am done with you! Stop talking ****... I ******* hate these internet racers that run a few slow cars on the street and think they know how it all goes down and never even go to the track! You have NO IDEA what your car would run or how anything would go down at this point! DONE... drive your car back and forth to work and keep telling yourself how fast you are, because your the only one that is ever going to believe it.
i wasn't talking ****, i was stating the facts about this car and its progress up to this point. you obviously have a chip on your shoulder about 4th gen fbodies. i haven't made anything up, nor am i trying to convince myself of something. the car ran what it did. internet racer? haha. you're right, i've never been to a track or raced anything/anywhere else for that matter. i lay in bed at night making up cars and mods, hell i don't even own an ls1. i really drive a stock automatic tbi car and only wish i could afford a new ss camaro.

you're a trip.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
i wasn't talking ****, i was stating the facts about this car and its progress up to this point. you obviously have a chip on your shoulder about 4th gen fbodies. i haven't made anything up, nor am i trying to convince myself of something. the car ran what it did. internet racer? haha. you're right, i've never been to a track or raced anything/anywhere else for that matter. i lay in bed at night making up cars and mods, hell i don't even own an ls1. i really drive a stock automatic tbi car and only wish i could afford a new ss camaro.

you're a trip.
Thank god, I thought I was the only one.