Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SRT8 300C takes down 2012 Shelby GT500

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT8 300C takes down 2012 Shelby GT500

Unfortunately this was kinda random so i readily admit that for a guy that has vids of a good number of his own races this was not one of them. Nonetheless heres how the story goes...

About 6 pm today was gorgeous so i decided to go for a Sunday drive. Still not having the boost a pump installed and only having the Maggie on for roughly a week i had no intentions of racing or hauling ***. During my cruise i run into (going the opposite direction) a newer looking GT500, black w red stripes piloted by a hispanic guy who looks even younger than me (im 28). He kinda gives me that FU look but dosent rev or anything. So i continue on thinking nothing more of the Shelby that went by. Roughly 3 miles or so further down i begin to head out of town. Nearing one of the last stoplights i notice in my rearview a black mustang quickly pulling in behind me (we were in light traffic). He tails me for about a half mile suprisingly not driving like a douche until we get out of traffic and he gets into the lane next to me with it already dropped in gear. He honks 3 times and we take off from what im guessing was about 40mph because i spun horribly and had to pedal so he jumped out by 2 cars and held that. So we pull up behind some cars at the last stoplight out of town and i tell em we can go again but i cant leave that slow because i cant hook up. He agrees to a 60 roll and we make our way to an empty spot on the hwy. Again he pulls alongside already in gear and honks 3 times but this time there was no spinning. Immideately my car pulls about to where my rear bumper is at his front bumper and for the duration until we hit nearly 160 i slowly crept away so that when we shut down you could just about fit a car between us. Right after he pulls up again and gives me this hand motion like he wants to turn around. At the next crossover we both turn in and to my suprise he parks and gets out. First words out of his mouth were, "You know i got you down low right?". I just laughed and kindly agreed. We proceed to shoot the poop for ten minutes or so, exchange names and numbers and he takes a pic of my ride and leaves. We are supposedly going to meet up at the track next T&T but ive heard that before. All the cost and effort involved in the install of the supercharger was already more than worth it even if it blows up tomarrow. Its more than paid for itself in smiles!! Lastly i am amazed that i did not go lean or stutter or break up at wot. No BAP, just SRT4 injectors and bigger rails. The BAP is still going on tho!
Magnacharger FTW!!!!!!!!

Some vids of my ride.

http://youtu.be/TfrpwtPIOs0

http://www.myspace.com/video/mattino...rtup/108677470

http://youtu.be/2asvb5NKwA0

Last edited by SSickLS1; 04-23-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Unfortunately this was kinda random so i readily admit that for a guy that has vids of a good number of his own races this was not one of them. Nonetheless heres how the story goes...

About 6 pm today was gorgeous so i decided to go for a Sunday drive. Still not having the boost a pump installed and only having the Maggie on for roughly a week i had no intentions of racing or hauling ***. During my cruise i run into (going the opposite direction) a newer looking GT500, black w red stripes piloted by a hispanic guy who looks even younger than me (im 28). He kinda gives me that FU look but dosent rev or anything. So i continue on thinking nothing more of the Shelby that went by. Roughly 3 miles or so further down i begin to head out of town. Nearing one of the last stoplights i notice in my rearview a black mustang quickly pulling in behind me (we were in light traffic). He tails me for about a half mile suprisingly not driving like a douche until we get out of traffic and he gets into the lane next to me with it already dropped in gear. He honks 3 times and we take off from what im guessing was about 40mph because i spun horribly and had to pedal so he jumped out by 2 cars and held that. So we pull up behind some cars at the last stoplight out of town and i tell em we can go again but i cant leave that slow because i cant hook up. He agrees to a 60 roll and we make our way to an empty spot on the hwy. Again he pulls alongside already in gear and honks 3 times but this time there was no spinning. Immideately my car pulls about to where my rear bumper is at his front bumper and for the duration until we hit nearly 160 i slowly crept away so that when we shut down you could just about fit a car between us. Right after he pulls up again and gives me this hand motion like he wants to turn around. At the next crossover we both turn in and to my suprise he parks and gets out. First words out of his mouth were, "You know i got you down low right?". I just laughed and kindly agreed. We proceed to shoot the poop for ten minutes or so, exchange names and numbers and he takes a pic of my ride and leaves. We are supposedly going to meet up at the track next T&T but ive heard that before. All the cost and effort involved in the install of the supercharger was already more than worth it even if it blows up tomarrow. Its more than paid for itself in smiles!! Lastly i am amazed that i did not go lean or stutter or break up at wot. No BAP, just SRT4 injectors and bigger rails. The BAP is still going on tho!
Magnacharger FTW!!!!!!!!
Good kill!!

Not surprised of the outcome if his Shelby was stock. The srt max cam isnt the best for boosted applications but its not horrible. With only 6psi you should have enough fuel with the stock set up, the bap is more of a safety measure.

You have one of the best tuners if not the best tuner for modern mopars, he wouldnt have let you leave of there was any danger of you popping a piston or if there was a chance he would have let you know it. lol

You didnt spray the 75 shot on this run did you?

Just watched the video. What LSA is your max on???
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Nope just the 6lbs. Gonna dial that in and then with the 9. At that point i will add the 75. I used to run 125shot when i was NA. Also going to a spartan blower cam by inertia. Ill miss the lope tho
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Oh and the Shelby had an SCTtune. Mine is 219/221 568/575 on a 112 LSA
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Nope just the 6lbs. Gonna dial that in and then with the 9. At that point i will add the 75. I used to run 125shot when i was NA. Also going to a spartan blower cam by inertia. Ill miss the lope tho
Oh and the Shelby had an SCTtune. Mine is 219/221 568/575 on a 112 LSA
You got some ***** going to 9lbs much less 9lbs with a shot. LOL But if any tuner can make it work it would be Johan. As im sure he will tell you, just make sure you run race gas when you decide to spray it. It should be fine.

Thats why I asked what LSA ur max was on cause I didnt hear too much lope. They usually lope pretty good for such a small cam. Mainly due to them being on a 112-113 LSA but i know Stu has put them on higher LSA's before.

Our cams are very similiar. 218/224 @ 113. Good enough for the cam only record for the 6.1

Kinda odd he has tune only. Most would atleast do a pulley with that.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Launching!

His claim was that the tune was for the pulley but he didnt have it on?? My thinking was hey bud, you chased me down afterall (if it wasnt bs anyway). He def had the SCT badge on the *** tho. Not too bad a result for one of the first times ever going wot boosted huh? lmfao
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Also, from the overlap on my cam im blowing most of my boost out the exhaust valveuntil about 3k so it has kindof a turbolag. Btw - im at 3600 ft and we commonly see 5k + ft DA's.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Jesus christ that was hard to read.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cliffs?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Cliffs?
Nope, high desert.

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
Jesus christ that was hard to read.
Why would that have been?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

Also, from the overlap on my cam im blowing most of my boost out the exhaust valveuntil about 3k so it has kindof a turbolag. Btw - im at 3600 ft and we commonly see 5k + ft DA's.
Geez thats gotta suck!!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Banned

What??? Niteriderws6 hasn't came into the thread yet?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope, high desert.

Why would that have been?
Because it's a big lump of text. Only someone interested would take the time to decipher that wall.

So cliffs plz. I think you lost to a GT500 then beat him or something along those lines?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

tl;dr

LOL jk. Nice kill dude.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Thanks. Hope to catch em at the track.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

nice kill
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Hey nite I know of a guy putting a 5.7 new-gen into a 67 or 68(cant remember) Dart with a 106mm turbo, lol. He was originally going with a lsx but for some reason decided to go with the "Hemi". Anyway, my question is, how much power can the 5.7s handle? Are the 5.7s stronger than the 6.1L and 392?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jbhotrod
Hey nite I know of a guy putting a 5.7 new-gen into a 67 or 68(cant remember) Dart with a 106mm turbo, lol. He was originally going with a lsx but for some reason decided to go with the "Hemi". Anyway, my question is, how much power can the 5.7s handle? Are the 5.7s stronger than the 6.1L and 392?
Honestly there are alot more guys who build the 5.7's then they do the 6.1 or 392. It has to be for the cost because the 6.1 and 6.4 will make more power everytime unless the 5.7 is stroked.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jbhotrod
The 5.7 is about 60hp below the srt8 to start on the dyno, the srt8 comes with a forged crank, powdered connecting rods and upgraded just about every single other part from the factory. Enlargened oil squirters different heads, intake, bore and stroke, you name it. I think it simply has to do with the fact that there are around ten 5.7's to every one 6.1 and probably 50 to every one 6.4 Also the 6.4 is a new enough platform that we havent even able to crack the ecu to create aprogrammer for it yet. I never understood why guys do more than bolt ons for the 5.7's because even after spending $6-8k you will only be up to par with a stock srt8. If you got that much $ to drop why not just get the one more purpose built for the job from the start? Lastly, you could never get equal power out of the 5.7 without spending more than the difference in price of an srt8. They (being the old 6.1 non LC platform) are incredibly good value considering the engine build quality. The 5.7's need internals for anything beyond 450rwhp and the srt8 will handle about 100 more reliably.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice kill. Watched a new GT500 bone stock run best of 12.7@116 tonight. He needed driver mod bad. Also watched a new 5.0 and a new SS and 300 srt8 6.1 all run 13.8-14.5. All 3 bone stock.

Quick Reply: SRT8 300C takes down 2012 Shelby GT500