Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put this in another thread but it applies here also... here it comes...lol

We all know that Chevy has detuned the Camaro's for years... if they push the envelope it will cause them to spend more money on the R&D for the Vette's to keep them out in front. Ford for as long as i can remember has only made one performance car being the Mustang... Chevy had several thru the years... the chevelle, malibu, nova, and camaro where all knocked down as to not out perform the Vette. But Ford has had the Mustang on top of there line... let Shelby play with it, lil Saleen action and the Roush version... All the top of there class to compete with the Vette... When Chevy gets there head out of their exhaust the ZL1 with eat the GT500 for breakfast and push the hell out of a Z06 but still bow down to the ZR1... Nissan did it years ago with the 300ZX twin turbo killing everything in production including the Mustangs and Vettes but politely taking it in the rear from the Skylines...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
another little wrench in the system.... since when did pony cars setup for the road course get roots blowers? I think you may find that both the gt500 and zl1 will be one lap wonders and laps will get increasingly slower as they continue...
From what I've seen the zl1 doesn't heat soak. No 1 lap wonder car. It's in some vid someone posted on here that the testers said the Camaro was very repeatable.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in Japan the skyline was the Nissans car. The US it was the 300zx. Depends on what vette. The zr1 was a beast back in the day also.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
another little wrench in the system.... since when did pony cars setup for the road course get roots blowers? I think you may find that both the gt500 and zl1 will be one lap wonders and laps will get increasingly slower as they continue...
Wrong. Not in the case of the ZL1 at least.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think heat soak will happen in the bigger Eaton TVS2300 before the smaller 1900 of the ZL1 correct? Quick question... if i put a TVS 2300 in the ZL that should be the major difference maker correct? i could b wrong... also going off the no replacement for displacement if given the blower being the TVS 2300 the bigger 6.2 of the Camaro will(should) outperform the smaller 5.8 of the Shelby? I'm no engineer so take for what its worth, just asking general questions...lol
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
I put this in another thread but it applies here also... here it comes...lol

We all know that Chevy has detuned the Camaro's for years... if they push the envelope it will cause them to spend more money on the R&D for the Vette's to keep them out in front. Ford for as long as i can remember has only made one performance car being the Mustang... Chevy had several thru the years... the chevelle, malibu, nova, and camaro where all knocked down as to not out perform the Vette. But Ford has had the Mustang on top of there line... let Shelby play with it, lil Saleen action and the Roush version... All the top of there class to compete with the Vette... When Chevy gets there head out of their exhaust the ZL1 with eat the GT500 for breakfast and push the hell out of a Z06 but still bow down to the ZR1... Nissan did it years ago with the 300ZX twin turbo killing everything in production including the Mustangs and Vettes but politely taking it in the rear from the Skylines...
Wishful thinking about GM
GM could have easily dropped in the ls9 in the zl1. Easily. And underated to lower hp/tq
figures at lower rpm. with the same mods the vettes are getting. It would be a monster. it is a very strong powerful performer, but the ford fanbois will find anything to discredit it.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
GM could have easily dropped in the ls9 in the zl1. Easily. And underated to lower hp/tq
figures at lower rpm. with the same mods the vettes are getting. It would be a monster. it is a very strong powerful performer, but the ford fanbois will find anything to discredit it.
Both cars are good just depends what you prefer both have the potential to be made fast. I just don't get why didn't gm forged the motor to the zl1
Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Agreed. And this coming from a Mustang guy too.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

I think heat soak will happen in the bigger Eaton TVS2300 before the smaller 1900 of the ZL1 correct? Quick question... if i put a TVS 2300 in the ZL that should be the major difference maker correct? i could b wrong... also going off the no replacement for displacement if given the blower being the TVS 2300 the bigger 6.2 of the Camaro will(should) outperform the smaller 5.8 of the Shelby? I'm no engineer so take for what its worth, just asking general questions...lol
A TVS2300 would make a huge difference, seeing as they're capable of 800rwhp+. The biggest issue is the lack of forged internals, which I honestly don't understand.
But swapping a TVS2300 onto the 6.2l would probably yield higher results, assuming you have a proper cam setup as well.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Both cars are good just depends what you prefer both have the potential to be made fast. I just don't get why didn't gm forged the motor to the zl1
Have you seen the price difference in the crate engine for a lsa(around $8900) vs ls9(around $18700) and thats from gm parts direct not everybody else. Forged rods and pistons would bring the price up a decent amount, not sure exactly how much. You know that means more $ for the ZL1. Have you also seen the price of a crate gt500 engine for a 2011 model, i priced one at $18600. I am not sure how much the 2013 gt500 crate motor will cost but i think it will be a little more than $18600.

Somebody tell me what all the money went into for the new gt500 and also for the ZL1 now.

This is not all directed at you blacknightls1 lol. Just trying to make a few points.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

People can say whatever they want but Ford made that to compete with ANY car you can buy for under 60k not just against the camaro. Never heard anyone say I'm looking for a pony car....its usually I got X amount of money to spend what should/can I get.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats what i'm sayin, Ford made it to run anything... might not keep up with everything but in the 60K and under group... she is pretty hard to beat! and i'm not even a Ford guy... just lookin at the numbers.

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
People can say whatever they want but Ford made that to compete with ANY car you can buy for under 60k not just against the camaro. Never heard anyone say I'm looking for a pony car....its usually I got X amount of money to spend what should/can I get.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

just for shyts & giggles new motor for the CTS-V, LS9 with blower is 20,999... on sale right now...lol
http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance...71011/10002/-1

Originally Posted by nmass399
Have you seen the price difference in the crate engine for a lsa(around $8900) vs ls9(around $18700) and thats from gm parts direct not everybody else. Forged rods and pistons would bring the price up a decent amount, not sure exactly how much. You know that means more $ for the ZL1. Have you also seen the price of a crate gt500 engine for a 2011 model, i priced one at $18600. I am not sure how much the 2013 gt500 crate motor will cost but i think it will be a little more than $18600.

Somebody tell me what all the money went into for the new gt500 and also for the ZL1 now.

This is not all directed at you blacknightls1 lol. Just trying to make a few points.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Exactly new or used they don't care. Not everyone wants or chooses strictly between brand new cars. And so far they did a very good job it looks like at making a good value car for under 60k which the C6Z owned solely pretty much since it came out. Now you almost gotta atleast consider the GT500 and vise versa whether or not its your style its gotta atleast come up imo
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed! Only issue is with a kid on the way(Oct) i won't be able to get either... car seats won't work, and wifey can't drive a stick...lol

Exactly new or used they don't care. Not everyone wants or chooses strictly between brand new cars. And so far they did a very good job it looks like at making a good value car for under 60k which the C6Z owned solely pretty much since it came out. Now you almost gotta atleast consider the GT500 and vise versa whether or not its your style its gotta atleast come up imo
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmass399

No problem you proved a good point. Just was wondering how much power can the zl1 handle and somone mentioned it didn't have forged internals
Old 06-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Launching!

just for shyts & giggles new motor for the CTS-V, LS9 with blower is 20,999... on sale right now...lol
http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance...71011/10002/-1
That motor is for the ZR1. The Caddy uses the LSA.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Ya if you need auto and 4drs then imo it goes 09+ CTS-V, 63 Series AMGs, or maybe a E60+ M5 not sure what those go for
Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

my bad... was drooling at the time... here is the one for the V... thanx...lol
http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance...24593/10002/-1
but that works also...lol

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
That motor is for the ZR1. The Caddy uses the LSA.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya if you need auto and 4drs then imo it goes 09+ CTS-V, 63 Series AMGs, or maybe a E60+ M5 not sure what those go for
Yeah, if it were me I'd prefer a used 09+ V as you can get them now in the low 40's easily
my bad... was drooling at the time... here is the one for the V... thanx...lol
http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance...24593/10002/-1
but that works also...lol
I'm surprised how low that price is!

Quick Reply: ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)