Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

classics and racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classics and racing

do u race ur classic against newer cars?
do u race a classic or just let him go?

personally when I see a classic I just let it go I know I spent tons of time and money on my 72 charger I don't like ppl trying it out to see if they can beat what they can only describe as " the car off of dukes of hazard"

was driving my 72 charger with 440 mag. punk kid in a Honda was feeling tough totally killed him one of those races were u just laugh at his feeble attempt

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 06-23-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

I always thought it would be badass to race an older muscle car on the street. Unfortunately anyone I run into seems to be out for a Sunday drive and dont even acknowledge me.

Its usually the slow crappy Hondas like you described that want to run. Pics of you're Charger????
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Old story for me, but here ya go either way....

In my 99 SS, just bolt-ons, at the bank getting some spare cash. Guy in a '70 Cuda 340 rolls by, sees me getting in the car and throws a few revs. Hmm, okay, I thought, well who knows how potent it is.

I get in the car and a few blocks later we end up at a light together. Me with a buddy, and him with his old lady. I wave, nothing...look over again, want to ask what it's got. Finally he looks over, "Built 340." I reply, "looks great, nice car!"

Light goes green and I knew he would go for it so I go as well, but only up to 30, already a 1/2 car ahead of his built 340(obviously not built, because I know they can make serious power). He ricer fly-bys. We head out to the highway, the whole time he leaves it in a low gear so I'm hearing 4500 rpm+ the whole time. I drop to 2nd the moment the highway is clear, pace his 40mph, and let him take the hit.

I started pulling away instantly, grab 3rd and was ready to hit 4th when I check to see where he went. Well I see him take an approach a long ways back, u-turn and head home. Didn't see him around town again.

Too bad, didn't want to puppy kick him, just wanted to talk to him about his car, and what was really done.

Cliff notes: Old guy in 70 Cuda 340 claims to be built, get's a$$ handed to him by bolt-on LS1.

Sorry for the long story, hardly ever get the old cars to play unless someone my age or younger is driving (I was 24 or 25 at the time, 32 now).
Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 PM

I love running older cars when the chance presents itself. I agree that they don't usually want to, but that makes it more fun when you find one to play. It's even better when you don't get the chance to talk before the race because you never know what you're gonna get.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Teching In

I dont have a problem racing mine but I dont go around looking for it. Its rare someone ask me to race though.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

I had some clown in a 454 ss camaro act all badass, but based on how it moved out previously, I knew I'd be puppy kicking. So from a 50 roll I started in third instead of second (that and at the time the second gear synchro was shot) We were dead even until I started getting north of 4000 rpm. Then the freight train started...him seeing that I was just getting started,immediately tucked his tail and quickly busted a u turn.

Haven't seen the car since. But if I do, it won't be pretty for him as I'm packing 100 more hp, tires that hook better, and a built tranny.

I love old muscle, I just wish more of em would be up for racing
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Some kid in a '11 V6 mustang with blacked out tail lights pulls up next to me at a stoplight when I'm in my 66. I have a passenger, coming back from walmart..the light is uphill. He looked like a bro with gelled hair or something and flashy sunglasses. Knew he would bite. I gave it just enough gas to let him hear my 2500 rpm exhaust note, not gonna go WOT for some kid in a v6 that thinks he's hot ****..he got it up to probably 3/4 pedal, shifting hard into 2nd.

Good for you buddy, gredlight to redlight racing uphill at a stoplight
Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

I leave them alone just give them the thumb up thier is a lot of work in those cars to keep them looking nice and runing good I try and respect that
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KingJacobo
Some kid in a '11 V6 mustang with blacked out tail lights pulls up next to me at a stoplight when I'm in my 66. I have a passenger, coming back from walmart..the light is uphill. He looked like a bro with gelled hair or something and flashy sunglasses. Knew he would bite. I gave it just enough gas to let him hear my 2500 rpm exhaust note, not gonna go WOT for some kid in a v6 that thinks he's hot ****..he got it up to probably 3/4 pedal, shifting hard into 2nd.

Good for you buddy, gredlight to redlight racing uphill at a stoplight
Sad part for you is the mustang probably would have given you a run for your money.

The reason I dont bother with older cars is because 95% of them sound like 8second drag cars but runs 15s. They are just so far behind in technology to compare to newer stuff. And trust me I know there are plenty out there that are fast but they are few and far between.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Sad part for you is the mustang probably would have given you a run for your money.

The reason I dont bother with older cars is because 95% of them sound like 8second drag cars but runs 15s. They are just so far behind in technology to compare to newer stuff. And trust me I know there are plenty out there that are fast but they are few and far between.
lol true..well some
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree for the most part, but there are a few around me that would make for some bad *** races! One guy has a 68 camaro with an LS7 and a T56 in it. mostly stock motor with longtubes and intake. I'm sure it still hauls *** though. Another guy has an all road raced out 67 camaro with an LS1 and T56. Car has a 4th gen interior, Z06 brakes, and a ton of other goodies.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I drive mine like I stole it and don't have any issue cannibalizing the garage/trailer queens who finally get their tires dirty and grow a pair either.

"600hp" big blocks are my favorite, because that's what they all make apparently.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Race
Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
D79
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love to race just about anyone with-in reason. I have an old car. It's loud and fun

Hope this helps
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was my experience with my first muscle car. I posted this here in the kill section...So this weekend I go to a local car show with about 15 cars in it and some dude with a very clean nova and I start talking. He tells me that it has a 350 with LT's,600cfm carb, and a cam. I humbly ask how much he makes to the rear wheel and he says 475rwhp. In my mind I was like damn!! So he ask me what I'm driving and I point at my 98't/a. This ******** tells me that I should sell that thing and get a real muscle car. That fuel injection is for kids and real men drive carbbed cars. I politely tell him in front of his wife that walked up if he wanted to get embarrassed in front of his friends. He's like let's go kid.
Race 1: his girl runs out to the street in front of the car show and does the Pinks all out thing. When she dropped her hands I took off with a bit of controlled spin and put a train on this guy. When we got back he said that he missed a gear. In a auto 4speed. Lmao!
Race2: we went from a roll at about 20mph and I spun a bit but this time I put a train and a bus on him. When we got back he told everyone I had nitrious and that's why I beat him. I raised my hood and let his buddies come checkout my intake and full exhaust set up. But the best part was when I told this guy he was a liar and that all I had was 308/331 rwhp/rwtq. I told him that he got ripped off if his builder said his car had 475rwhp.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll smash some punks if I think they have decent cars..(aka no ricers) in my old Vette.... It hasn't lost a race yet...(not saying there isnt 1000s of faster cars here locally...just saying I haven't gotten matched up yet)..... My **** isnt a "high roll" car but....it does alright for 41 year old technology.

So far my kills are new 5.0, 2012 Shelby, couple of C5s, a couple 5th gen Camaros, a C6, HCI GTO, and quite a few cars at the track...(I prefer getting it on at the track). I also have raced 4-5 other 10 sec muscle cars and have not lost yet but been very close on 3 of them. I try to line up with well matched cars and mature owners...

I don't race every 16 yr old that pulls up in a $5k cammed LS camaro or anything...

I mostly do dig runs at the track, slow rolls on the street and I have done quite a few 60-130s on the street.

I have a couple other weapons for runs faster then that...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

ajrothm, that is a nice '71 Vette