Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got a couple runs in my Turbo TA and 135i

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got a couple runs in my Turbo TA and 135i

Well I rarely seem to get action and in the last couple days got a few unexpected runs. One in Vegas and the other in Joliet

135i(cobb tune) vs SLK 350(probably stock)
First one was in Vegas on Thursday morning heading into work. I pull up at a light and there is a nice SLK 350 with the vert down and an older guy driving it. Instinctively I reach over to disable DTC on my 135i. He seemed like he was itching to go, but I wasn't sure so when the light went green we both rolled out kinda slow then all of a sudden he punches it and I do the same. He got up about a half a length when I stopped it and then I short shifted into 2nd and put a couple lengths on him while losing a little traction, then into 3rd and pulled a couple more to about 85mph and I let off. He wouldn't pull along side of me and just held back. Probably pissed him off a little but oh well.

Turbo TA(yeah, there is alot) vs C5 vert(bolt ons, nice rubber and maybe a baby cam)
Now today while I'm back home I had to run out and grab some odds and ends from the store so since it's a nice day I took the ttops off and drove the TA. On my way home I come up to a vette at a light. I'm behind him and he is first at the light. I could tell he was eyeing me up a bit in the rear view mirror. Probably didn't understand why I cut out my bumper to fit a radiator. Anyway, his car was blue, sounded like it could have had a baby cam and had a really nice exhaust note. He had quite a bit of suspension stuff done from what I could tell and a nice set of tires. Not sure if nt05's, but something along those lines. My best guess is at least a bolt on car with maybe a baby cam.

He revs it a bit, it sounds nice. I open my cutout and as I do the light turns green. He rolls out normal and gets over to let me get along next to him. With the stall and the spool my car makes I think he thought I went WOT while i was still a car or so behind so he nails it. I ease into the throttle enough to get going but minimize wheel spin and close the 2 car distance easily and then proceed to put 4 cars on him before we let off near 90-100mph. When I went past him I could just imagine the noise my car was making with the cutout open and wastegate dumped probably would make someone **** their pants. He rolls up next to me and says "******* fast" and I give the thumbs up. I gave a thumbs up back. He could have said ******* dumbass because my cutout is damn loud but he seemed cheerful so I don't think so. I wanted to chat more but the traffic put him up about 5 cars from me and I had to make a turn to go home. BTW, the whole run was about 2/3rds throttle on my end at 10psi. It was enough. Finally a run against something, but then again it was a puppy kicking too. Kinda funny considering a vette as a puppy kicking. lol
Old 07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice combo kills. Summer time is the time when you really get to rack up the kills, best make use of it! With your TA, letting off before 100mph is kinda stifling isn't it? Just when you were getting to the point you could really put the whooping on him.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..no vids
Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Puppy.....kicker.....
Old 07-21-2012, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Nice combo kills. Summer time is the time when you really get to rack up the kills, best make use of it! With your TA, letting off before 100mph is kinda stifling isn't it? Just when you were getting to the point you could really put the whooping on him.
Not really, It has some serious low end grunt but yeah it does like to keep pulling. Haven't taken it to high in the triple digits but it responds so well and isn't laggy. Just traction limited.
Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
..no vids
nope Maybe next time though
Originally Posted by hugger1975
Puppy.....kicker.....
Funny is that beating a bolt on vette is equated to being a puppy kicker
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Nice kills. You need to carry a camera with you in the T/A.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

your cars still slow.....lol

nice! seems like i never run into cars while driving mine!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Need some videos and a walkaround or something. Sounds awesome
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

E85 is race gas.

You could never do that on pump.

Wait nevermind we're not talking about an import here.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
you have nooooo idea...very nice setup and stalker quiet with cut out closed! loud enough to to hear from a mile away with cutout open!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by why87
Nice kills. You need to carry a camera with you in the T/A.
I'm going to grab the go pro and start shooting footage of first time ride alongs of my friends and family. That look on their face is funny
Originally Posted by ttranssam
your cars still slow.....lol

nice! seems like i never run into cars while driving mine!
very slow. I might need to upgrade to a t6 kit. You know anyone who could fab a kit?

I hear you, i have the same luck. I never come across anything. The best race I had previously was against an "import Patrol" TA with minor bolt-ons lol. Joliet doesn't exactly represent with any fast cars.
Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Here you go teg and thanks.
here is a quick walkaround. This is before building a CAI, upping the injectors and going e85.
cutout open/closed
Originally Posted by Beans
E85 is race gas.

You could never do that on pump.

Wait nevermind we're not talking about an import here.
Hey it comes out of a pump and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get. Pump gas at it's finest.

Originally Posted by ttranssam
you have nooooo idea...very nice setup and stalker quiet with cut out closed! loud enough to to hear from a mile away with cutout open!
Thanks Joe, I like keeping it quiet but man when I open it up it's just damn loud.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I could puppy kick like that. Pshhh stock headed vette = 1/2 throttle lol

Car must be an animal.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car is sick man,you did a great job with it,
Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Sounds sick. can't wait to see it run
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Fastest car I have ever been it.
That TA is all kinds wrong.

I just hope he floors it Aug 5th ALL the way down :-)
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
Hey it comes out of a pump and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get. Pump gas at it's finest.
I agree, it's just funny when people (mostly HioSS) get upset because an import is on E85.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Should I stir the pot and go take a picture of the 110 leaded pump like 5 min from my apartment? lol
Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZFreie
I wish I could puppy kick like that. Pshhh stock headed vette = 1/2 throttle lol

Car must be an animal.
It's a fun hooligan that is for sure. Highly predictable even when it's spinning. I love this car.
Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Your car is sick man,you did a great job with it,
Thank you sir!
Originally Posted by 1TFROT
Sounds sick. can't wait to see it run
If you come out to us41 on Aug 5th I should be there. I want to get a couple runs on low boost before I turn it up so we shall see what it can do.
Originally Posted by hugger1975
Fastest car I have ever been it.
That TA is all kinds wrong.

I just hope he floors it Aug 5th ALL the way down :-)
Lol, what do you mean. It's a quiet, mild mannered car and running on a renewable source of energy. It can't be that wrong can it?
Originally Posted by Beans
I agree, it's just funny when people (mostly HioSS) get upset because an import is on E85.
It is funny, but then again for turbo imports to use something like e85 to me is fair game considering v8 guys have it easy to make great power with relative ease. It levels the playing field a bit. To say that e85 isn't fair is like saying having twice as much cylinders isn't fair.
Originally Posted by ZFreie
Should I stir the pot and go take a picture of the 110 leaded pump like 5 min from my apartment? lol
True it is "pump" gas, but how often would people pump high octane racegas at over $7 a gallon and drive it daily on the street? Probably not many unless they had a crap ton of disposable income. e is poor mans racegas that is readily available around me.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willizm
True it is "pump" gas, but how often would people pump high octane racegas at over $7 a gallon and drive it daily on the street? Probably not many unless they had a crap ton of disposable income. e is poor mans racegas that is readily available around me.
Oh I know, I'm just being an ***. Lol I think we all take turns stirring the pot.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM

What size turbo are you running?