Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a C5 vette, 5th gen ss, and 98 cobra last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ran a C5 vette, 5th gen ss, and 98 cobra last night

My buddy in the cobra was lining up to the right of the C5 vette in front, the SS was to the left of the c5 and i was behind the c5 vette just following to see how i do.

They slow down to a 30ish roll, i was in 2nd and said "eh **** it" put it in first, when i heard them get on it i got on it spun 1st pretty bad, banged 2nd spun a bit of 2nd caught half way through 2nd gear i was right on the c5s *** i zoomed passed the cobra and 5th gen when i got into third and started chasing down the vette.

When i got far enough infront of the 5th gen (2 cars-3 cars) i got in his lane (I know ******* stupid) i was catching up hard in 4th was inching away from him when i through 5th and pulled half a car he let out at 140ish. Fun night.

Sorry no vids, i was riding solo as was everyone else.

Mods on cars as far as i know

Cobra- Intake, gears, plenum spacer, header back exhaust, and tune.
C5- From what he claims intake and header back exhaust, auto, and street radials on stocks.
5th gen ss- intake and header back exhaust L99

I need a tune, bad. Makes me want to tune on E85, ill probably go through with it since its so available by my house.

Last edited by adamantium; 09-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you started a car down on everyone, meaning you didn't get the jump on anyone, and you still managed to pull multiple cars on a 5th gen who is similarly modded as you and the C5. Forget the Cobra. They are slow.

This is going to be good.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

I can see it if the C5 was an auto and no gearing changes. The Cobra was dead long before he even heard the first honk and the Gen 5 Camaro, well it weighs to much.

Nice hat trick.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
So you started a car down on everyone, meaning you didn't get the jump on anyone, and you still managed to pull multiple cars on a 5th gen who is similarly modded as you and the C5. Forget the Cobra. They are slow.

This is going to be good.
Believe what you like the vette and 5th gen were auto, 5th gen was an L99. My car def has alot more in it. Its full weight with jack no tune and the o2s are acting up.

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
I can see it if the C5 was an auto and no gearing changes. The Cobra was dead long before he even heard the first honk and the Gen 5 Camaro, well it weighs to much.

Nice hat trick.
Yeah the vette was auto, forgot to add that in there.

To be completely honest i was expecting to pull them harder than i did.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamantium
Believe what you like the vette and 5th gen were auto, 5th gen was an L99. My car def has alot more in it. Its full weight with jack no tune and the o2s are acting up.
Way to leave out the details.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Teching In

they should have never made an automatic vette
Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
Way to leave out the details.
okay.
Originally Posted by Arctic
Yeah i agree aswell, autos are boring. Def not something that should even be an option in a sportscar.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the vette was auto, forgot to add that in there.

To be completely honest i was expecting to pull them harder than i did.
So your o2s were acting up.... at WOT.... interesting...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by evangto87
So your o2s were acting up.... at WOT.... interesting...
o2s have been throwing codes since i installed them with the longtubes brand spanking new denso's. Car is running rich just as it should with slow switching o2 sensors....
Old 09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

But it's funny when you pound an LSX stick car with a LT1 auto. Then they usually see the bottle and cry foul.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Banned

But it's funny when you pound an LSX stick car with a LT1 auto. Then they usually see the bottle and cry foul.
Ive yet to lose to an auto car with similar mods to me. Not saying itll NEVER happen but its yet to happen.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive yet to lose to an auto car with similar mods to me. Not saying itll NEVER happen but its yet to happen.
How much do you run from a dig?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZFreie
How much do you run from a dig?
I usually race from a 20 roll, the vette lined up from a 30 because i guess since hes auto he gets a better hit from that roll.

But no i have yet to do a dig with my car, there isn't any spot where you can dig at out here. There is a place but its 40 min out. Not happening.

But im sure i wont have any problems digging an auto when i get some tires, im not a cobra driver/owner.

Why should it matter though? If an auto is superior to a stick car it should destroy me from any race.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

o2s have been throwing codes since i installed them with the longtubes brand spanking new denso's. Car is running rich just as it should with slow switching o2 sensors....
my point is your o2 sensors have no effect on what happens at WOT. Disabling the o2s until youre done tuning is very common. Enable them later on to grab better gas mileage. Your running WOT based strictly off MAF and MAP.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by evangto87
my point is your o2 sensors have no effect on what happens at WOT. Disabling the o2s until youre done tuning is very common. Enable them later on to grab better gas mileage. Your running WOT based strictly off MAF and MAP.
Nice! Never knew this. Thanks, you learn something new everyday lol. Im thinking about just saving my tuning money and throwing in a cam. Im like $200 away from buying a cam kit or piecing something together or waiting a bit longer and just buying prc 2.5 5.3 heads and an MS3. What do you guys think? I don't mind waiting, im patient.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and then you'd NEED a tune with a cam
Old 09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

I usually race from a 20 roll, the vette lined up from a 30 because i guess since hes auto he gets a better hit from that roll.

But no i have yet to do a dig with my car, there isn't any spot where you can dig at out here. There is a place but its 40 min out. Not happening.

But im sure i wont have any problems digging an auto when i get some tires, im not a cobra driver/owner.

Why should it matter though? If an auto is superior to a stick car it should destroy me from any race.
I don't think an auto is superior to a stick car but not as boring as you may think.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by odthetruth
... and then you'd NEED a tune with a cam
Its just hard justifying $500 to pick up 30whp, rather spend the $500 when i have a cam or H/C in it atleast.

Its pretty dumb to spend $500, then $700 on the cam and supporting **** and then another $400 (or whatever it would be to retune) after that to tune all over again.

I don't think an auto is superior to a stick car but not as boring as you may think.
Ive riden in some, its pretty boring to me. Unless its a turbo car id guess.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I totally disagree! I'd hate to be in a world where you couldn't drive a stalled/cammed AUTO c5 .
okay.

Yeah i agree aswell, autos are boring. Def not something that should even be an option in a sportscar.
Yeah, because manuals are so exciting...especially driving to work in stop and go, smoking a cig, and spilling coffee all over your lap. That's awesome!!. Not mentioning how pathetic most of the manuals do against the stalled autos both street and strip.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I honestly have never seen how banging gears is so much fun after you actually know how to shift. Once you know you know, and after that it's just extra work imo. I guess maybe when you're a teenager just learning a manual seems like the cat's ***, and a decent challenge. I'm not looking for a challenge when I drive, and in fact have modded up to take away every last bit of challenge in exchange for simple, and effective. But that's me...and me no nutswing for high school girls.

Quick Reply: Ran a C5 vette, 5th gen ss, and 98 cobra last night