Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GT500 VS ZL1 @ the RING

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The ZL1 is ~18 seconds behind the Z06 on the Nurburgring, and nearly a full second and 10mph slower in the 1/4 mile... I think there is a little wiggle room.
Right? Lol, like it's nipping on the vette's heels...this isn't a 97 vette and 98 Camaro comparison we're talking.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
did ford ever release ring numbers for the gt 500?
Did you read the Svtp thread?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Took longer than I thought it would for someone to bring in the Vette comparison. Sports car vs pony car, no comparison to be made here.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
Z28?

Dude we're fanboys talking about cars. If GM or Ford want to make a 2000whp street car I'm sure they can. It's not rocket science. It's just not business. This is all about sales and profits. The 5th gens make profit for GM, why spend millions re-designing when 90% of people who buy 5th gens aren't going to go out and find a gt500 to race it around the parking lot?
I understand that it is about sales and profits. And GM is definitely going about it WAY better this time around, thankfully. But don't forget that Al Oppenheimer had some strong words about how this car would stack up against the '13 GT500... and I don't think those words taste as good as he thought they would.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I can say as a 5th gen owner the ZL1 is an overpriced pig but it's damn nice... Just like the 2013 GT500 is damn nice.

These cars are turning into luxury sports cars. It's not about who's the fastest anymore, it's about who is comfortable and fast.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
You guys still don't understand that GM simply won't make a 5th gen that can beat a vette....

Unlike Ford, who has nothing better in overall performance aspects, GM has the vette. They're not going to make a 5th gen that can lap a vette because they want to run with a GT500... It's that simple.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by snake95
Lol just keep hurdling the fact that all the ZL1 lovers had big mouths then got embarrassed that their chest thumping was based on a false pretense. Good vette fallback, though. Maybe if you talk about the vette more, people will forget all this gt500 zl1 nonsense. Let's avoid the topic of the zl1 falling short at all costs!
Snake, I respect you, but 2SS is dead on. Look a the history of GM. This has rung true the entire time.

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Typical ghey *** gm fan boy move. When their camero gets beat now all of a sudden a mustang is a sports car and gets compared to the Vette!
Got Hemi, you sir are awesome. What car are you rolling? Mind you ALL of these cars spoken about will stomp your broke Dodge. There's no reason to even speak about dodge in ANY of these conversations because they still don't have a car worth running!

Then again, Fiat is trying to do away with the a Dodge brand totally (i.e. "Ram" and "Viper"), so I guess, enough said.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand that it is about sales and profits. And GM is definitely going about it WAY better this time around, thankfully. But don't forget that Al Oppenheimer had some strong words about how this car would stack up against the '13 GT500... and I don't think those words taste as good as he thought they would.
Agreed. People who try to compare them are just lost. The GT500 is a lot better in EVERY aspect, but all I'm trying to point out is GM has ceiling they can't pass when making these cars... While Ford's sky is the limit.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 427zm
Exactly. Snake, I respect you, but 2SS is dead on. Look a the history of GM. This has rung true the entire time. Got Hemi, you sir are awesome. What car are you rolling? Mind you ALL of these cars spoken about will stomp your broke Dodge. There's no reason to even speak about dodge in ANY of these conversations because they still don't have a car worth running! Then again, Fiat is trying to do away with the a Dodge brand totally (i.e. "Ram" and "Viper"), so I guess, enough said.
Thanks man and you, too, but you know the vette wasn't brought up and the ZL1 competes with the Shelby. 2SS was dead on about money and sales, the 98-02 f-body bitch slapped the mustangs of those years and was discontinued for that reason. x2 on Oppenheimer eating his words.
Edit: I'd love to see a new Ford GT just as much as anyone.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
Took longer than I thought it would for someone to bring in the Vette comparison. Sports car vs pony car, no comparison to be made here.
The point is there is a WHOLE nother level GM has that Ford doesn't. This is why EVERYTHING performance wise is thrown into the GT500 whereas, the ZL1 and Z28, get Lowe tier performance parts from GM.

The Gt500 isn't just an exercise of sport car, but also a marketing tool for Fords highest level of performance parts to sell aftermarket. The ZR1/Z06 Corvette is the same.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Poor 5th gen...
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Typical ghey *** gm fan boy move. When their camero gets beat now all of a sudden a mustang is a sports car and gets compared to the Vette!
Well that mustang does have more hp than both of those Vettes and cost nearly as much as a base C6Z mind you. Plus heard Dodge is coming out with a S/C 6.4L SRT cant wait to see what that does.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 427zm
Exactly.

Snake, I respect you, but 2SS is dead on. Look a the history of GM. This has rung true the entire time.

Got Hemi, you sir are awesome. What car are you rolling? Mind you ALL of these cars spoken about will stomp your broke Dodge. There's no reason to even speak about dodge in ANY of these conversations because they still don't have a car worth running!

Then again, Fiat is trying to do away with the a Dodge brand totally (i.e. "Ram" and "Viper"), so I guess, enough said.
are you serious? Do you know about the Viper ACR-X or how about the fact that the Chllenger/Charger SRT has a 470hp/trq N/A engine and yet neither Ford or Chevy has that except in their Vette and just recently their new Z/28 which is the LS7 C6Z engine. But Dodge doesn't have a car worth mentioning right......
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by "MAC"
are you serious? Do you know about the Viper ACR-X or how about the fact that the Chllenger/Charger SRT has a 470hp/trq N/A engine and yet neither Ford or Chevy has that except in their Vette and just recently their new Z/28 which is the LS7 C6Z engine. But Dodge doesn't have a car worth mentioning right......
He did bring up the Viper, even though it was a cheap shot at it not being called a "Dodge" anymore. And as impressive as the SRT-8's 6.4 Hemi is, the car itself (like he said) has no place in the discussions involving the ZL1/Z28 and the GT500.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If everybody wanted a 4200lb coupe...
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

i agree put both of these cars at the track at the same time temp and stock tires and i would think the ZL1 would still ever so slightly match the GT500. SVT is trying to say GM stopped the film early on both the Z28 and ZL1 which makes me laugh because if its official then they had to have done the full track.

and laugh at all the "ZL1 fan bois" all you want but the car is $6,000 less than the GT500, 100hp less than a GT500, and 227lbs more than a GT500 but you still feel the need to make fun of the fact that even in a high speed road course the ZL1 at least matches the GT500 performance.

heres sometrack times for you ford fans to view.
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
Ford doesnt even register on the standings board until lowly number 23.... and the Camaro is .3 seconds slower. I am pretty sure everyone on this site understands the camaro is a heavy pig of a car and really doesnt perform as it really should. I cant wait for the Z28 to put an end to the GT500 "spanking" with AGAIN less horsepower and more weight.

and as for the guy with the Hemi... why are you even talking, dodge has only made 1 great sports car in the past nearly 40 years, the Viper. nothing good has ever come from charger let alone challenger.

but i do find it funny yet again you have the same ford fan boys trying to find any possible way to show their cars are "better". im not even a 5th gen fan that much but i do have to put my 2cents in on this one.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Did you read the Svtp thread?
what? no.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

the ring times:
Dodge Viper ACR 7:12.13(2010)
C6 Zr1 7:19.63(2012)
Z/28 7:37.4(2014)
Zl1 7:41:27(2012)
After so research looking on the SVT performance website and google turns out Ford has excuses as to why they haven't posted a lap time of the 13 GT500, Claiming weather conditions kept the driver from unleashing all the power well if thats the case then who ever said the ZL1 was suffering from heat soak his comment is just as valid. So Snake95 STFU again with your attempt to make the ZL1 look bad and talking down to other GM guys on a GM fan base website.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

ford never released the times because they were sub standard, period.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned

He did bring up the Viper, even though it was a cheap shot at it not being called a "Dodge" anymore. And as impressive as the SRT-8's 6.4 Hemi is, the car itself (like he said) has no place in the discussions involving the ZL1/Z28 and the GT500.
I wouldnt count it out considering it was put up against the GT350 around a track and the gt350 couldnt get away from it I know Dodge is the heaviest of the group but when that S/C version comes out it should be a good match!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, You have made my point. The ZL1 and Z28 are getting called slow here, and BOTH of those cars dogg the challenger and charger. It's not even close.

As for the Viper ACR, the ZR1 and Z06 both beat the viper around the track (Laguna Seca) when equipped with the Cup tires. Track car, for track car, again Vette wins.

Quick Reply: GT500 VS ZL1 @ the RING