Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobra and turbo 350z kill

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra and turbo 350z kill

Wasnt sure if it will count since at track. But since test n tune not prepped and not really giving results but kills, so here goes. Sorry didnt get vids but got all kinds of slips. Anyways i got to toy with a cobra (i don't hate em) tonight on my street radials to his dr's. ran him twice but let him stay within a car on first pass bc he chased me down to get beside me and i wanted him to run me again. Second run Light turns we both go but i only roll to about 1/4-1/2 throttle he's got half fender. I nail it 20' out and squall the tires to fender him, hit second and pull three cars by the 1/8. There you go mystic have fun it's genuine real. He had a cam he called it something and trick flow heads with other stuff he said. If it makes up for it i got a turbo (dont know st or tt)350z on way home (hour drive). I was on 40 heading east and i see led lights coming up fairly quick and im diong 75. So i jump in right lane and slow down bc it looks like maybe a sports car. He gets to me in a few secs and cruises by so i speed up and stay close just in case(i always give the hit). We come up on a truck and, just as i thought, i heard a spool, well i let him go and swerved over to his lane and had to bounce my headlights( on and off throttle) in his mirror to keep from hitting him waiting to clear the truck. As soon as he cleared i floored it and went around him in right lane. Put a couple and let off. Ha ha iz ready for the old kick it when they cant. He gets beside me then slows waaay down. Cool he wants to try 60 instead of 75 ish. NIIIICE, open lanes and i can hit second. He hits it, i down shift and put about ten cars on him by the time i hit 120. So i ran it to 145 and let out about three football fields out. Dont know when he let out.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Launching!

cool story bro....
Old 07-12-2014, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill just leave this here.
Attached Thumbnails Cobra and turbo 350z kill-coolstorybro.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

expected outcome.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kills. Nice to see a 2nd gen Camaro built correctly.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
expected outcome.
This^^^

Cobros run poorly most of the time.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Must have been an old 5.0 Cobra (a cam, Trickflow heads, etc).

Nice kills OP!.......Love seeing nice running Gen IIs......
Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by islander033
This^^^

Cobros run poorly most of the time.
So i need to just understand i cant compare people to you..lol yours seems strong as $hit. I dont hate any american muscle just so that's known i just like my old chevys a little more. I always gave cobras props. My buddy, a ford nut, said with his mods he should be putting down 500ish. I didnt listen bc i didnt really care about mods i just wanted to race. The difference was .4 in the 1/8 thats pretty substantial considering slicks to street tires and i had a horrible night. He seemed like a good driver with a 1.8 60' so i was expecting closeness. The Z was puppy kicking even with forced induction, but he started it. So did cobro, thats why i like a good old second gen they gets picked on, i like being picked on. Ask me what i got and you will usually get ah it's just a 350 based motor with a little work. I'd rather say i got less than i do im weird like that. I love the fully modded 3/4 race cam bunch....with 1,000,000 hp. Ive learned that most parts store 600 hp warriors can be taken with my 200hp carb'd motor. Just sayin.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by flextrainer1980
So i need to just understand i cant compare people to you..lol yours seems strong as $hit. I dont hate any american muscle just so that's known i just like my old chevys a little more. I always gave cobras props. My buddy, a ford nut, said with his mods he should be putting down 500ish. I didnt listen bc i didnt really care about mods i just wanted to race. The difference was .4 in the 1/8 thats pretty substantial considering slicks to street tires and i had a horrible night. He seemed like a good driver with a 1.8 60' so i was expecting closeness. The Z was puppy kicking even with forced induction, but he started it. So did cobro, thats why i like a good old second gen they gets picked on, i like being picked on. Ask me what i got and you will usually get ah it's just a 350 based motor with a little work. I'd rather say i got less than i do im weird like that. I love the fully modded 3/4 race cam bunch....with 1,000,000 hp. Ive learned that most parts store 600 hp warriors can be taken with my 200hp carb'd motor. Just sayin.
Haha, winning is winning. Be it 100whp or 1000whp, dynos sheets don't win races.

I'm a fan of all fast cars....except for hondahs. lol
Old 07-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Good kills OP!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

If it hadn't of been for that novel, I probably wouldn't of known that it wasn't a 03-04 Cobra.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaxxRPM
Must have been an old 5.0 Cobra (a cam, Trickflow heads, etc).

Nice kills OP!.......Love seeing nice running Gen IIs......
Yeah it was. But ive never bitched about a cobra being blown nor has one ever bitched about me being na. Not sayin you were just making a point. He was fully modded na and so was i and thats why ford went fi. Besides hp doesnt matter. There's claims of high 5's here that ive seen quicker times than. Thats a good comparison of Ford/Chevy na as well. We were modded the same pretty much, except he had 20 year newer technology in his motor. Waay better engine management and such.
I can and have taken blown cobras too from a dig but it is a street car so i have more up top which is their claim to power any way. My advantage is my ability to pull hard all three gears and instant shifts and they are continually shifting. Another is my monster torque and the ability to carry it high up in the rpm band making power everywhere. I pull everytime a stick car shifts and when i shift. They hardly ever pull, if so maybe a foot then i start pullin and get a few when they shift. Thats the few close races ive had, not had many on street.
Best example i can give you is i race on street tires so my average 60' is 1.83. Many nights i have ran 1.63 60' cars and edged them out so if its not bottom it's top. Have a slip of one i had those exact stats 1.83 to 1.63 and i won by .001 and 5.3 mph. Was a 1/8 mile drag car using all three gears, i only use 3/4 of second and trap 93-95 on average, but due to overpowering i can add weight, drop mph and gain et. Thats why i havent done any weight reduction. I could lose 200 lbs and you'd never know it, but it'd slow me down anywhere below a 35 kick. I know slicks would help me, but they dont help much on street (where 90% is roll) which it sees about everyday. Plus the look of shock on people's faces when they thought they had a sucker on street tires gets beat, that's priceless.
Sorry was responding to several posts but havent figured out how to do multiple quotes yet, new to this. Bear with me i'll get better with a little guidance.

Quick Reply: Cobra and turbo 350z kill