Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 T/A vs 04 GTO...I was setup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 T/A vs 04 GTO...I was setup!!!

Ok, so here's a little background on what went down before you watch the video. I have a buddy that I met through the car scene not too long ago. He has a 98 ss camaro that he was making a custom turbo for. He told me to swing by to go for a ride because he had just gotten it done. He mentioned he had a buddy over that has a cammed GTO, which is nothing new because there's always someone over there working on cars. So me and my kid jump in my car and headed on over.

When we pull up there's another guy in a pickup that shows up at the same time we do. So we all just sit around and shoot crap for a few, then me and my kid jump in his Camaro to go for a ride. So we get back and are all talking about his car, when all of the sudden my buddy looks at me and says, you guys should go run each other. So I ask the guy in the GTO what all he has done and he says, just a cam, exhaust, 3.91's. So I said ok I'm game I guess. My buddy and the other guy says man I can't wait to see this as they were heading for his car to follow. I looked at my kid and said I think we've just been setup lol. I had only ran one other car since I got my cam and stall, so I really didn't know what it could do since I only have 2.73 gears. Not sure what the weight difference is but he didn't have a passenger and my kid is a little over 220lbs. He had a little weight reduction, but I'm guessing he still weighed more.

1st run got cut short, he jumped a little early. 2nd run I was maybe a half fender ahead on the start, but I don't think it would have made a difference. My mods are in my sig along with my 2.73 gearing. His is custom cam, full exhaust dumped, 6 speed, ls7 clutch, eaton trutrac posi, pedders full suspension, slp underdrive pulley, 3.91's, and drag bags... 406rwhp/392rwtq.

I was told afterwards that it was a setup and that the guy in the gto was told he was probably going to win. Either way it was fun and gave us something to laugh about.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha....nice.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

thats some granny shifting tho
Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah he's a pretty bad driver, you could almost swap drivers between shifts lol. The outcome would still be the same though even with a driver mod. He wouldn't do a dig, but I don't blame him since mines a stalled auto.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Good run, and nice looking cars
Old 02-22-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd run looked and sounded like he wasn't in his powerband. He's also pretty slow on shifting.

Looks like they set up a good run, not necessarily set you up.

And 220lbs... thats not a kid, thats a grown *** man by then. LOL I was thinking like 10-12 year old until I read 220lbs. lol
Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by odthetruth
2nd run looked and sounded like he wasn't in his powerband. He's also pretty slow on shifting.

Looks like they set up a good run, not necessarily set you up.

And 220lbs... thats not a kid, thats a grown *** man by then. LOL I was thinking like 10-12 year old until I read 220lbs. lol
Lol yeah guess I should specify that, he's grown and has a 99 ws6. I have another run with him on a 25 roll, but it was way worse for him so I didn't post it. Anything up top I just pull him pretty good. I guess everyone needed to be there, because no matter what driver or rpm that car would be in as far as powerband goes, that car had zero chance of keeping up lol. We all came to a conclusion that an automatic is the car for him, driver included.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good run. You beat up on him pretty bad.
Not sure if you do not want to post your Hp/Trq #s but are you close to his numbers? That GTO is making good power.
Would you attribute that win partly due to your 3600 stall?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Good run. You beat up on him pretty bad.
Not sure if you do not want to post your Hp/Trq #s but are you close to his numbers? That GTO is making good power.
Would you attribute that win partly due to your 3600 stall?
I honestly don't know my numbers, unfortunately the tuner moved to a new shop and didn't have the dyno it yet. It's just street tuned right now, I'm hoping to get some numbers this spring. I'm not sure how much my stall played into it against a stick on roll racing. I know it definitely makes a difference from when it wasn't stalled. I was wondering how much it played into myself though being I have 2.73's vs his 3.91's. I have a couple videos running a 07 c6 vette that's a 6 speed and I did ok with it too. This guy could actually drive his car though, I was im pressed because you couldn't really see his car fall back on the shifts.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Teching In

I think I ran that guy one night a few months back in my 2V......(it was much closer than your race)..........
Old 02-22-2015, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah he sold the car after our run. He doesn't take losses well evidently. Because he bought a ls1 as camaro that put down 448 at the wheels through a locked converter. Then bought a fast 102 setup, fuel rails, injectors, and is tearing it all down right now to do a turbo install after getting pulled hard by the buddy that setup this race. I guess he has a lot of money lol.

Here's the video of them two running with his camaro that put down 448 locked before the fast setup. The silver ss is on low boost (10lbs) and is tuning it for 14lbs this month.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Nice kill OP. When I first read the title to this thread, I figured you were set up to lose lol.

And who in the blue balled butt **** would sell their car just because you got beat in it? How can someone be that big of a little bitch. Why not just put more mods on it? Or learn how to drive it. I guess that old saying is true. An angry mind is a narrow mind.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LikeAB0ss
Nice kill OP. When I first read the title to this thread, I figured you were set up to lose lol.

And who in the blue balled butt **** would sell their car just because you got beat in it? How can someone be that big of a little bitch. Why not just put more mods on it? Or learn how to drive it. I guess that old saying is true. An angry mind is a narrow mind.
That is deep and so true.
I also never understood that mentality either. To sell off a car because it was beat in a race is just ludicrous. It happens and will most likely happen again.

For the guy in the GTO to think, that by going from a 406Hp car to a 448Hp car (plus a little extra for the FAST) is going to prevent from getting beat again, is pretty foolish. On average, 600 - 800Hp street cars are pretty abundant today.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, we're kind of interested in seeing what's going to happen if he gets pulled pretty hard after his turbo setup. He even had a 150 shot he just put in it and all it needed was to be tuned. I never even got a chance to run him before he pulled everything out for the turbo. He would have won, but I still wanted to run him just to get an idea what heads will do for my car. We pretty much had the same setup except my 2.73 vs his 3.42, our cam is pretty close, but I have stock 241 heads vs his prc stage 2.5 5.3L heads. I'm guessing that I am probably close to 400rwhp going by others that has this cam and setup give or take 5hp. He's a pretty cool guy though and jokes about it, I just wish I had the money to change stuff like he does lol.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LikeAB0ss

+1 just run your **** and have fun. More drama with dudes and racing then watching basketball wives nowadays.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Is the guy withe the silver camaros name eric by chance??
Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2kgtp
Is the guy withe the silver camaros name eric by chance??
Yeah, you know him? How close do you live by us, have to get together for some car cruises some time. I see you have a gto, is this Travis that's procharging his right now?
Never mind, I see it's a gtp not gto, so you're not Travis lol.

Last edited by Deeohgie69; 02-23-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: mentioned the wrong car for this guy.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds good too
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I live in wisconsin. I went to college with erik. Hes a good guy. My gtp is now the winter beater and have a heads cam fast 92 ws6
Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Ah ok cool, yeah he's a good guy. Met him last year and he's been trying to talk me into going the turbo route on mine. How do you like your third gen? I've got an 89 ws6 also that I really like. It runs pretty good for what's done to it and has surprised quite a few mustangs and ls cars. Always been a fan of third gens.

Quick Reply: 01 T/A vs 04 GTO...I was setup!!!