Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Evo vs Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo vs Cobra

Went out Friday night to just cruise in the car (Evo) with my friend to kill some time. Silver Cobra pulls up next to me and kept doing second gear pulls, I don't race on the busy streets, cops are known for watching the ones we were on. I pull into a gas station to fill up and see if we can get some more friends out. Met another Evo owner and the Cobra owner pulls up. Asks what is done.. Full bolt ons (bigger turbo, full 3' exhaust, FMIC, cams, etc), 1 PSI over stock (22) stock block, heads, intake manifold, throttle body, transmission, etc, my winter baby 92 pump tune. I ask him about his and he seems very hesitant to talk about the mods.. All I get is exhaust, pulley, and intake, come to find out after the race he put down 455RWHP.

We set out for a highway that no one is ever on, he wanted to do a 60MPH race and wouldn't do a 20 or 40 because he couldn't hook . We do the 3 horn count and he punches it right before the 3rd honk getting about half a car on me. I reel him back to about his tires then shifted to fourth, by about 130 we were dead even with me slowly inching him. We both do the thumbs up.

My Evo and the other Evo head back to the gas station to let the cars cool down and meet up with more friends. 20 minutes later some people came over from a small meet and they were asking if I was the "lying" red Evo... I guess the Cobra owner thought I was lying about what was done to the car
Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Teching In

But he gave you a thumbs up so da fuq.

Outcome of a 450whp cobra, and your mods sounds right
Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Well I did tell him bigger turbo and cams.... I didn't specify that it was a GTX35R and GSC S3's or pretty much a 280 cam. It is like a Honda power curve in an Evo, Full boost around 5200-5300 but due to cams and turbo it pulls all the way to 8500 without giving up steam. It put down 430 in 90* weather on 22PSI (Friday was around 35-45*). I also have an E85 tune that did 510 on about 25PSI. He refused to race me on that. Stock block so I have to rev it high and keep the tq low to make sure she stays happy.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
Well I did tell him bigger turbo and cams.... I didn't specify that it was a GTX35R and GSC S3's or pretty much a 280 cam. It is like a Honda power curve in an Evo, Full boost around 5200-5300 but due to cams and turbo it pulls all the way to 8500 without giving up steam. It put down 430 in 90* weather on 22PSI (Friday was around 35-45*). I also have an E85 tune that did 510 on about 25PSI. He refused to race me on that. Stock block so I have to rev it high and keep the tq low to make sure she stays happy.
Oh damn lol. Is it an EVO 10?

Revs are more risky then more boost from my experience. Forces on the rod and piston are exponentially greater the higher you go. More boost is fine with conservative timing and the right fuel.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
Went out Friday night to just cruise in the car (Evo) with my friend to kill some time. Silver Cobra pulls up next to me and kept doing second gear pulls, I don't race on the busy streets, cops are known for watching the ones we were on. I pull into a gas station to fill up and see if we can get some more friends out. Met another Evo owner and the Cobra owner pulls up. Asks what is done.. Full bolt ons (bigger turbo, full 3' exhaust, FMIC, cams, etc), 1 PSI over stock (22) stock block, heads, intake manifold, throttle body, transmission, etc, my winter baby 92 pump tune. I ask him about his and he seems very hesitant to talk about the mods.. All I get is exhaust, pulley, and intake, come to find out after the race he put down 455RWHP.

We set out for a highway that no one is ever on, he wanted to do a 60MPH race and wouldn't do a 20 or 40 because he couldn't hook . We do the 3 horn count and he punches it right before the 3rd honk getting about half a car on me. I reel him back to about his tires then shifted to fourth, by about 130 we were dead even with me slowly inching him. We both do the thumbs up.

My Evo and the other Evo head back to the gas station to let the cars cool down and meet up with more friends. 20 minutes later some people came over from a small meet and they were asking if I was the "lying" red Evo... I guess the Cobra owner thought I was lying about what was done to the car
A Cobro doing the Automach jump... what a surprise
Old 03-09-2015, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
seems to be a mustang thing.... aaaand a fenix thing
Old 03-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Oh damn lol. Is it an EVO 10?

Revs are more risky then more boost from my experience. Forces on the rod and piston are exponentially greater the higher you go. More boost is fine with conservative timing and the right fuel.
Usually only take it to 81-8300 but if I need to, I have the limiter set to 8700. Tuner is highly knowledgeable and said it is safe as long as I'm not doing 8500+ for long periods of time like 5th gear pulls over and over again. Unless I'm at a roll racing event or neck to neck with a car, I short shift a little. I also refuse to do 5th gear pulls, 8500 in 4th is 130ish, plenty of speed for me. The last part is what they focused on, low timing even on E85 to help keep a happy motor. Plus we kept it on the rich side 11.5, 92
and 11.8 on E85. I made sure to tell them to keep things conservative so the block will stay together.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes I wish I would have went with an Evo like I had planned instead of my 5.0, but I could never find the one I wanted close enough. Was gonna do an FP Red on S3's setup and let her eat. Good runs, OP, car runs strong. Bet that 510whp tune feels great.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Its Stock
Sometimes I wish I would have went with an Evo like I had planned instead of my 5.0, but I could never find the one I wanted close enough. Was gonna do an FP Red on S3's setup and let her eat. Good runs, OP, car runs strong. Bet that 510whp tune feels great.
I'm into all cars (no brand loyalty but come from an import background), I honestly thought he was going to walk me a little which is why I think he was mad after the race. We don't have many "fast" cars here. 90%-95% are 13 seconds and slower, 5-8% 12-11 second cars and maybe 1-2% can run 10's or faster. I'm not joking, a bolt on LS1 would beat pretty much anything here. However, it is fun to run into bikes and ask if they want to run on the street with the E85 tune, most think I'm just a stupid ricer until they hear the external wastegate dump open.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Used to hate evo's because of their drivers, but OP here restores faith. I really like a mean sounding, tastefully set up evo.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Banned

Still no time slip for that of yours?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I don't think the choice of tune is his...kill mode and let him worry about it.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 200HP/Ltr
More fun when the races are close. I turn mine down all the time for those cam only fbodies and bolt on brobras
Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nick.H
seems to be a mustang thing.... aaaand a fenix thing
Come on man. Don't stereotype ALL mustangs into that category. lol I currently drive a Cobra and I never jump. In fact the last "close" race I had was a 7 liter C6 and he wouldn't even let me get 2 honks in before he would take off. lol

As far as the fenix part though, I'd have to agree from the few videos of his I have actually watched.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by automach1
Still no time slip for that of yours?
Still running 12's with a blower swapped turd? I'm in Michigan you moron. My car doesn't leave the garage til the salt's washed off the road. There's still a foot of melting snow in my yard. Get a clue.

I'm putting a different catch can system on and adding more timing and meth, and a set of DR's before it goes back to the track.

What's your pile trap in the 1/8th?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 200HP/Ltr
Correct sir, in order to change tunes I have to run the tank pretty much empty and fill up with E85 and switch maps, drive easy for the next half tank, fill up again with E85 then she is ready to roll. They are coming out with flex fuel patches/maps that work with the stock ECU and will be fully integrated flex fuel set ups. Its pretty cool the things people are coming out with. I wish they would've had that when I got my tune, I'd be able to turn the power up by just filling up with E85 and letting the computer do the rest.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Teching In

I want AEM just for that
Old 03-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Teching In

The AEM EMS V2 has the capability, but I don't have the cash to fork out $2,000 after sensors and another $500-800 for the tuning. I have a sweet stealth switch in the glove box for to switch maps on the run.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Good run
Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Banned

Still running 12's with a blower swapped turd? I'm in Michigan you moron. My car doesn't leave the garage til the salt's washed off the road. There's still a foot of melting snow in my yard. Get a clue.

I'm putting a different catch can system on and adding more timing and meth, and a set of DR's before it goes back to the track.

What's your pile trap in the 1/8th?
Yup 12s but I trap 119 in the 1/8th lololololol Not my fault you live in a place that doesn't allow for year round racing derp.

Quick Reply: Evo vs Cobra