Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Some kills

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some kills

Ok long time lurker here, so I managed to get lucky and trade a 2003 2 valve 4.6 Gt for 2002 WS6 a year ago. The mustang was in good condition, but I itched for LS power. The transmission was bad, and the car had 97,000 miles. So I rebuilt it, and put a 3000 stall from a trailblazer by circle D. I have managed to beat my friends 2009 charger RT that had an intake by 3 cars. After that, he put an exhaust and ran door to door with me from a 50 roll . I thought those cars were no match for an LS1 car... I guess I was wrong. Also I do have to add that I raced a 2014 camaro at the same time that had a tune, intake, and exhaust and put 4 cars on it... I blew his doors off, and he made 286rwhp in his dyno sheet. Anyways right now my car is nearly at 100,000 miles and Im not sure if the transmission is slipping already or what. It shifts fine on every gear....but when I shift 3-4 gear at 75-80mph it starts hitting the rev limiter, the shift delays for a split second....could it be because I didn't tune the car on the stall? or is my 4l60 already going? It doesn't throw any codes in the scanner. And I didn't beat on the car much at all, I just did a few races here and there. Can a frost tune adjust shift points, or do I have to get a dyno ? The mods I have btw are just lid, exhaust, trailblazer stall, and ls6 since its an 02.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm lost as to how a 2014 camaro with intake, exhaust and tune made below 300whp. They make more than that stock. Was it a V6?
And your not supposed to be going into 4th at WOT, hell at 75-80 I'm just getting into 3rd and I've got 3.42's. However, if you didn't add a trans cooler along with the converter, you are over heating that 60e and that makes things break.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by termin8dWS6
Ok long time lurker here, so I managed to get lucky and trade a 2003 2 valve 4.6 Gt for 2002 WS6 a year ago. The mustang was in good condition, but I itched for LS power. The transmission was bad, and the car had 97,000 miles. So I rebuilt it, and put a 3000 stall from a trailblazer by circle D. I have managed to beat my friends 2009 charger RT that had an intake by 3 cars. After that, he put an exhaust and ran door to door with me from a 50 roll . I thought those cars were no match for an LS1 car... I guess I was wrong. Also I do have to add that I raced a 2014 camaro at the same time that had a tune, intake, and exhaust and put 4 cars on it... I blew his doors off, and he made 286rwhp in his dyno sheet. Anyways right now my car is nearly at 100,000 miles and Im not sure if the transmission is slipping already or what. It shifts fine on every gear....but when I shift 3-4 gear at 75-80mph it starts hitting the rev limiter, the shift delays for a split second....could it be because I didn't tune the car on the stall? or is my 4l60 already going? It doesn't throw any codes in the scanner. And I didn't beat on the car much at all, I just did a few races here and there. Can a frost tune adjust shift points, or do I have to get a dyno ? The mods I have btw are just lid, exhaust, trailblazer stall, and ls6 since its an 02.
Don't listen to everything you hear about hemi cars being slow lol. They respond the same as a ls car would with bolt ons.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it sounds like you're not letting it shift by itself, and it also sounds like it is running hot, add a external cooler if not installed

let that computer do its job, it will shift better
Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I forgot to say that it was v6. The LS3 should be superior from a roll I assume. Yeah the R/T's run harder than I thought, do y'all think it would be better if I raced the RT from a dead stop? And btw, no i didn't add a transmission cooler, because I was under the impassion that a trail blazer stall was small. But now that you mention it, that makes sense.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I forgot to say that it was v6. The LS3 should be superior from a roll I assume. Yeah the R/T's run harder than I thought, do y'all think it would be better if I raced the RT from a dead stop? And btw, no i didn't add a transmission cooler, because I was under the impassion that a trail blazer stall was small. But now that you mention it, that makes sense.
It would of been better for you from a dig. The 5.7 is a dog off the line with the a5 auto gearing sucks.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

At 75-80, I would think you are shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. If it's hitting the limiter and you have to back off, you most likely have a 3/4 clutch pack failure if this is a new characteristic. If it's always done this it may be tune related. Glad the converter is doing work for you. If you need to go faster let us know. We can make it happen.

-Brian
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the Charger an RT or SRT? Not knocking the RT but I would think the RT would be a little behind the LS1 while the SRT 6.1 would have the advantage. The 392 would be in a different league though.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Don't listen to everything you hear about hemi cars being slow lol. They respond the same as a ls car would with bolt ons.
Girth is the hemi cah issue. They do make good power for what they are and the limited aftermarket help due to gay doge ecm's.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by islander033
Girth is the hemi cah issue. They do make good power for what they are and the limited aftermarket help due to gay doge ecm's.
This got me laughing.
DD, can an ecm be gay?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Lmao that was nice ! Idk about the newest hemi cars but I was able to tune my 2012 392 charger.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:38 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
This got me laughing.
DD, can an ecm be gay?
When it's locked up in a doge, it is gay as *** on a mustache!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Lmao that was nice ! Idk about the newest hemi cars but I was able to tune my 2012 392 charger.
did you tune it yourself or have someone do it for you. I hear they are a bitch and a half to tune.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by freaky57fast
did you tune it yourself or have someone do it for you. I hear they are a bitch and a half to tune.
I had hemifever do the tuning for me.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Teching In

That's what I've been thinking... I don't know if my car Is just a slow ls1 compared to people in this site....or the 5.7 with an intake and exhaust is really on par. From a roll it would make sence since it makes 368 bone stock bit counting the intake and exhaust. Anyways yea I'm starting to think it's my 3-4 clutch because it used to shift fine under WOT during 75 mph. It's pretty disappointing how this tranny is already letting go with a rebuild 3,000 miles ago. And not to mention it's rare that I dog on my car.... I dog on it maybe once every 2 weeks. This was just a friendly rivalry deal.. It's weird because if I drive normal, it shifts just fine. And if go WOT in any other gear it doesn't hit rev limiter only 3-4 shift.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Teching In

When it's locked up in a doge, it is gay as *** on a mustache!

LOLL!
No arguing the *** on the stach. That is about as gay as it can get! lol
Old 04-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Default underestimated

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Was the Charger an RT or SRT? Not knocking the RT but I would think the RT would be a little behind the LS1 while the SRT 6.1 would have the advantage. The 392 would be in a different league though.
Alot of people underestimate the hemi 5.7. I had a 2013 charger RT road and track. I added a cold air intake, flowmasters and a diablo can tune. the charger ran door to door in the 1/4 mile with a camaro SS l99 AUTOMATIC with shorty headers, air intake and upgraded 305 width rear tires. Everybody was in shock, and we inclusivley ran twice to make sure it wasnt a fluke. There is a cam outthere for the 5.7 eagle engine that can make 485rwhp on bolt ons and cam only. the problem with these engines is they are very delicate and hard to find someone to work on them. the LS platform is much better in my opinion, easier to work with and cheaper. I love both tho.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

That's what I've been thinking... I don't know if my car Is just a slow ls1 compared to people in this site....or the 5.7 with an intake and exhaust is really on par. From a roll it would make sence since it makes 368 bone stock bit counting the intake and exhaust. Anyways yea I'm starting to think it's my 3-4 clutch because it used to shift fine under WOT during 75 mph. It's pretty disappointing how this tranny is already letting go with a rebuild 3,000 miles ago. And not to mention it's rare that I dog on my car.... I dog on it maybe once every 2 weeks. This was just a friendly rivalry deal.. It's weird because if I drive normal, it shifts just fine. And if go WOT in any other gear it doesn't hit rev limiter only 3-4 shift.
Where is your fluid level? I would do a pan drop and when you refill the tranny fluid fill it about a 1/8 in. over the top full line, that will help prevent sucking the pan dry at wot.
Fluid filled up to just the bottom warm hole is a no go, over fill it a titty tit
Old 04-17-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

O ya...... And if you're going wot 3-4, don't do that
Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Since you're new to the LS crowd, you should know the 4l60e is a pile of hot ****. It can be made to work with moderate power, but even then it's not advised to shift into 4th at wot.
Since you have a higher stall converter, even normal driving is causing a lot more heat to build up until the converter locks up. You need to add another cooler. They all have one from the factory, but it's pretty small. Add another one.

Quick Reply: Some kills