Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

street racing (5.0s, srt8s, nitrous, 3deep,and more)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street racing (5.0s, srt8s, nitrous, 3deep,and more)

Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

nice video !!!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the Chrysler
Old 09-02-2015, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wtf was up with the first bolt on 5.0? He was literally barely edging out that stock 5.0..
Old 09-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Wtf was up with the first bolt on 5.0? He was literally barely edging out that stock 5.0..
Stock car had some sticky tires or something. "on a tire"
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2003Cobro
Stock car had some sticky tires or something. "on a tire"
I know but a tire doesn't magically increase acceleration/power lol. Even after the bolt on 5.0 caught traction, he was still barely pulling. Just seemed off to me.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Teching In

I know but a tire doesn't magically increase acceleration
Your kidding right??
Old 09-03-2015, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Your kidding right??
How does putting a tire on a stock car increase its acceleration tremendously? School me. You might run a faster time with a tire due to getting traction right away or much earlier in the run. But how would a tire help someone in a roll race where acceleration is all there is? Or a 60-120 time. Or a 100-200 time. How would a bigger tire help that?

I assume, in theory, a taller tire would slightly increase acceleration due to a larger surface area making each rotation a longer distance gained. But noting substantial. However, in the real world, this doesn't happen. A smaller tire will increase acceleration. But I don't know hardly anyone, when installing a "tire," that puts on a smaller than stock tire...

Last edited by NateLS1Mustang; 09-06-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys glad you enjoyed it lol.
The first 5.0 spun pretty bad you can kinda hear it. The green one had an exhaust and a 305/45/18 nto5r he jumped out about 1 car maybe 1/2 a car and still got pulled by 2-3 cars
Old 09-03-2015, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Still waiting for 2003Cobro to school me. After he made me feel like a dumbass last night when I posted that, I did some more extensive research about it. I'm getting mixed answers still, but most of them are saying that a bigger tire will make acceleration slower.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Teching In

A tire will increase acceleration when it's lighter, smaller, or prevents loss of traction. In this case the 5.bro was spinning... If he had hooked he would have accelerated faster, and that's something tires can help with.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

So if the stock 5.bro in the video has a 305/45/18, then that means he went a size down from 50/18 (in diameter). He went up in width: 305 compared to 235. In this situation, I can see where his tire choice would help him accelerate slightly faster than a factory tire 5.0. My first post was assuming that the tire he was on was not only wider, but taller as well. Didn't realize he actually went one step smaller.

However, a taller tire will not increase acceleration. Which was where my original statement started. I was thinking of taller tires when I made that comment. I should have specified more than I did the first time.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

In most cases but depending on power curve a taller tire is going to decrease acceleration unless the shorter tire was spinning and the new taller tire now has traction. Taller tires take away from your effective gear ratio while going shorter increases it. The only new question I have about gear ratio's is no matter what size tire you put on, is there a difference in torque multiplication and gear ratio effectiveness when the ring and pinion is changed. Regardless if you changed tire size to keep the effective gear ratio the same. Kind of like changing a stall in a automatic.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Still no sign of JP I see? Hmm.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Teching In

How does putting a tire on a stock car increase its acceleration tremendously? School me. You might run a faster time with a tire due to getting traction right away or much earlier in the run. But how would a tire help someone in a roll race where acceleration is all there is? Or a 60-120 time. Or a 100-200 time. How would a bigger tire help that?

I assume, in theory, a taller tire would slightly increase acceleration due to a larger surface area making each rotation a longer distance gained. But noting substantial. However, in the real world, this doesn't happen. A smaller tire will increase acceleration. But I don't know hardly anyone, when installing a "tire," that puts on a smaller than stock tire...
Originally Posted by Red is Faster
A tire will increase acceleration when it's lighter, smaller, or prevents loss of traction. In this case the 5.bro was spinning... If he had hooked he would have accelerated faster, and that's something tires can help with.
This is all you need to know. When you have a high hp car and try a low roll you roast the tires and spin. Spinning = not accelorating. Im sorry i drove you into a research frenzy. Even stock on shitty stock tires my buddies 14 5.0 would roast the tires on a low 1st roll. Now the modded one is on crappy tires the stock one is on a sticky tires. He can hook and immediately is accelerating and putting power down. Modded car is spinning all his EXTRA hp is going no where. Once he finally hooks he is now playing catch up. Make sense?

edit: rewatched the video. Its a freaking dig race. If you dont see how having a stock POS 255 tire vs being on a sticky tire can help then there may be no helping you.

Last edited by 2003Cobro; 09-06-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

This is all you need to know. When you have a high hp car and try a low roll you roast the tires and spin. Spinning = not accelorating. Im sorry i drove you into a research frenzy. Even stock on shitty stock tires my buddies 14 5.0 would roast the tires on a low 1st roll. Now the modded one is on crappy tires the stock one is on a sticky tires. He can hook and immediately is accelerating and putting power down. Modded car is spinning all his EXTRA hp is going no where. Once he finally hooks he is now playing catch up. Make sense?
Alrighty, so when I said, "how does a 'tire' increase acceleration?" you took it as literal as possible lol. I can't really explain it over text but the way you just answered me back wasn't what I meant in the first place. I understand that spinning means no acceleration, so therefore, in that situation, it does help you accelerate.

In my head, I was thinking of a totally different way. As in, if this was a perfect world and traction wasn't an issue ever, then how would putting on a tire help acceleration in that case? That's what I meant. That's why i stated how would it help a 60-120 run or a 100-200 run where traction problems are usually nonexistent unless you have a monster of a vehicle.

I didn't think you were gonna take it as literal as possible and use not having traction as not accelerating lol.

However, understood. Good pep talk.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Alrighty, so when I said, "how does a 'tire' increase acceleration?" you took it as literal as possible lol. I can't really explain it over text but the way you just answered me back wasn't what I meant in the first place. I understand that spinning means no acceleration, so therefore, in that situation, it does help you accelerate.

In my head, I was thinking of a totally different way. As in, if this was a perfect world and traction wasn't an issue ever, then how would putting on a tire help acceleration in that case? That's what I meant. That's why i stated how would it help a 60-120 run or a 100-200 run where traction problems are usually nonexistent unless you have a monster of a vehicle.

I didn't think you were gonna take it as literal as possible and use not having traction as not accelerating lol.

However, understood. Good pep talk.
Ok this makes more sense then. In reality higher end runs if traction wasnt an issue you would want a stiff wall low profile tire that is preferably a little shorter than stock to give you a more aggressive final gear ratio.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like 2003Cobro lives in the real world..... Ya know, an un-perfect world. LOL
Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Sounds like 2003Cobro lives in the real world..... Ya know, an un-perfect world. LOL
As all of us do.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmm... I just thought I saw perfect world a couple times.... My bad.

Quick Reply: street racing (5.0s, srt8s, nitrous, 3deep,and more)