Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cammed C5Z vs GTR and Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cammed C5Z vs GTR and Hellcat

So this is actually my first post on ls1tech, I'm on corvette forum but they don't accept kill stories and street racing so I figured I'd make an account here and share my story and get everyone's thoughts. I'm sure there will be some doubters so I'm hoping to get some of your opinions on the outcome

My car is an 02 Z, I have bolt on's and just a cam with unknown specs but just got tuned and made 438.

I was driving home from a night out and was with my friend who was in his GTR, (claims It should make 600) it was a 900hp car but took parts off to sale it, so it's still fast. And we saw a challenger scat pack unknown mods and I'm not even sure if it was auto or manual because I was on the other side of the gtr. They ran a few times, and each time the GTR walked him pretty good.

So they line up a 3rd time and this time I decided to join (thinking I'm the slowest of the bunch) 3 wide about 60-65 and I'm in 3rd gear and I hear the gtr go so I hit it also and he got a slight jump but I stopped his pull and was at his door, then I hit 4th and passed him by maybe just over a car before I let off.

We were both shocked, so naturally we line up again just me and the GTR this time, same speed and this time a clean run and he's at my rear fender at the end of 3rd, I shift to 4th and I'm probably 2+ cars ahead when I let off around 140ish

I know there will be lots of controversy here, I'm not just trying to start **** and be called a liar because I'm sure it will happen lol. There is video, it's on my phone and I'm not sure if he wants it on YouTube, so right now I'm not posting it (unless I get his ok) I'm honestly curious how this happened and if my car is just a lot faster than i thought. I know I got a huge weight advantage over both 4K lbs cars but this seems strange to me so let's here your opinions.

Last edited by QuickSilver_Z; 09-29-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

In 4 vid. Good kills are in order sounds like.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow man, streets can be brutal. Either way that's an amazing kill OP in4vids

ps. I ******* hate GTR's so this is great
Old 09-29-2015, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Lol thanks. I surprised myself, that's for damn sure... Before the Z I had a 650hp coyote mustang, I thought this was slower but maybe not? Lol

I plan on getting many races to really see where my car is against anyone and everyone for fun... just got my Mickey thompsons so I can do a lower roll and I plan on re running the gtr next weekend from a 40, along with a few other cars.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Z's are quick, and geared for it. When mine was stone bone stock, I had 390's and a 75 dry shot on mickey thompsons. Stock tune, and everything. I would lay the smack down on cars with much more horsepower. Car was more fun then, than with the forged procharger setup now.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Yes, that seems strange. If the GTR legitimately walked the Hellcat, he should have walked all over you. Same with the Hellcat. Especially with you starting out in 3rd gear at 60-65, which is a bad spot for a stock geared C5Z. In for vids.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Teching In

This one might draw out the Hitman to defend GTR's honor. How dare you beat a GTR in a bolton/cam C5Z!?

Nice kill, in for video.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like some fun runs but don't really believe the outcome.. As much as I really want to, I just can't. I hate GTRs but they're the most efficient performance vehicle on the planet basically. 500whp GTRs run like they got 700whp. I cannot see your cammed C5z pulling a 600whp GTR by two cars.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Op,

What does "full bolt ons" mean, what are all your mods? That term gets trown around so much and 99% of time its not accurate..

How is it a cam with "unknown specs"? Who puts a cam in their car and not know the specs? Did you buy the car cammed already?

"438rwhp" sounds about right for a mild cam c5z with a cai and full exhaust (definitely not a "full bolt on" car).

A lot of people used to (or still do) underestimate c5z cars. Problem for them was that due to their "price point/vette tax", not a lot of people out there modding them and running them right. Usually owners were fat, crusty old men that just wanted to cruise and "flash" their car around.

C5 Z06s can be extremely lethal on the streets, if set up right, and with the right owner. I know this because I used to own one myself.

Now about your runs, I noticed that you stated starting in 3rd at 60-65 for the rolls. This is a bad spot on a c5z much less a cammed one (unless you were geared appropriately with some 3.91s or 4.10s).

I can believe that under the right circumstances a cammed c5z can beat a "600HP" GTR but your story just sounds flawed and / or driver error / set up not working properly on the GTR (driver error CAN actually happen in those too).
Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Sounds like some fun runs but don't really believe the outcome.. As much as I really want to, I just can't. I hate GTRs but they're the most efficient performance vehicle on the planet basically. 500whp GTRs run like they got 700whp. I cannot see your cammed C5z pulling a 600whp GTR by two cars.
My guess is that the Hellcat was manual with an average or worse driver and the GTR, having been demodded, was not tuned properly for whatever mods were left.

This vette is probably a low/mid 120s trapping car in the 1/4.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Ok, so video will be posted later today the GTR owner doesn't care so i will work on that.

As for the questions, mostly from Zyborg (who btw, i know your old c5z from SVTP and have seen many of your kill stories be questioned and i know you know your stuff lol)

My car, which i claim full bolt ons (correct me if i'm wrong and its not) has long tubes, no cats, corsa xtreme, FAST intake, BBK throttle body, K&N filter with carbon fiber air bridge, Underdrive pulley and the cam is unkown specs because yes i bought it second hand. It doesn't have a huge lope, just assuming mild cam but i have no idea, it just made 438 on a ECS tune and their dyno, not sure if generous or low? not really concerned about the dyno number.

The reason i was in 3rd at 60-65 is because i didn't have tires, we were actually at a meet and i didn't race anybody because of this, but on the highway i wouldn't spin and tried to keep up, which resulted in a very long 3rd gear and me being ahead
Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red is Faster
My guess is that the Hellcat was manual with an average or worse driver and the GTR, having been demodded, was not tuned properly for whatever mods were left.

This vette is probably a low/mid 120s trapping car in the 1/4.
This is very possible, i am by no means claiming my car is faster than every hellcat or 600hp gtr, i can only go by what i was told and what happened.

I will say, the GTR also raced a 2016 m3 with some work and a tune who said his car makes 570 to the motor on 93 octance, and he was running 100 octane that night. He put about 5 cars on the M3 he said. So the GTR does run good.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by QuickSilver_Z
Ok, so video will be posted later today the GTR owner doesn't care so i will work on that.

As for the questions, mostly from Zyborg (who btw, i know your old c5z from SVTP and have seen many of your kill stories be questioned and i know you know your stuff lol)

My car, which i claim full bolt ons (correct me if i'm wrong and its not) has long tubes, no cats, corsa xtreme, FAST intake, BBK throttle body, K&N filter with carbon fiber air bridge, Underdrive pulley and the cam is unkown specs because yes i bought it second hand. It doesn't have a huge lope, just assuming mild cam but i have no idea, it just made 438 on a ECS tune and their dyno, not sure if generous or low? not really concerned about the dyno number.

The reason i was in 3rd at 60-65 is because i didn't have tires, we were actually at a meet and i didn't race anybody because of this, but on the highway i wouldn't spin and tried to keep up, which resulted in a very long 3rd gear and me being ahead
Ok, so your car is not a "full bolt ons"'car, as it is still missing other bolt on parts that would increase its performance. Your car is just a bolt ons car. By saying "full" bolt ons you make it sound like it is a MAX EFFORT car, which it is not. People will expect more out of it. By the sounds of your combo, I can see your car being a mid 120s car. With it being properly driven, I can see it hurting some feelings fo sho!

When you start the race on a "very long gear", this will put you at a disadvantage a will not accurately represent the performance your car has, as it puts it out of its power band. Should you have "no tires", start at a speed that gets you traction but still at peak power in the band.

I never pay attention to dyno numbers themselves, they really dont mean much... Good of you to do the same. And like I always say, anything can happens in the streets, so it is good to have a camera to back it up!

Cant wait for the video...
Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZYBORG
Ok, so your car is not a "full bolt ons"'car, as it is still missing other bolt on parts that would increase its performance. Your car is just a bolt ons car. By saying "full" bolt ons you make it sound like it is a MAX EFFORT car, which it is not. People will expect more out of it. By the sounds of your combo, I can see your car being a mid 120s car. With it being properly driven, I can see it hurting some feelings fo sho!

When you start the race on a "very long gear", this will put you at a disadvantage a will not accurately represent the performance your car has, as it puts it out of its power band. Should you have "no tires", start at a speed that gets you traction but still at peak power in the band.

I never pay attention to dyno numbers themselves, they really dont mean much... Good of you to do the same. And like I always say, anything can happens in the streets, so it is good to have a camera to back it up!

Cant wait for the video...
Ok so enlighten me on what other parts I can do that are considered bolt on? I'm from the mustang world, this is all new to me, it took a while to understand "cam only" when it had other bolt on's but it makes sense now lol. So let me know what else I can bolt on and I will not call it full bolt on. It is definitely NOT a max effort build, but in my eyes, I have intake manifold, throttle body and intake, and headers all the way back. With under drive pulley, so unless I take the heads off I can't bolt anything else on. Once the heads are off, not just bolt on's. That's why I said full bolt on's with a cam, meaning the cam is not a bolt on.

As far as the racing in a long gear, I've had many races in all my cars, I'm not new to racing, just vettes and LS motors, I have some shitty Yokohama tires on the back now that break loose at anything in 2nd gear which is why I only lined up with them because i was in 3rd and figured I wouldn't spin. I know it's a huge disadvantage and not a true representation, but at the same time if I'm in the wrong gear and win, it should just be worse when I'm in the right gear...

I got my Mickey thompsons, I will be mounting them and racing lots more so I can really see how my car does. It's all in fun for me. I'll race anybody win or lose and not be a sore loser or have excuses

Last edited by QuickSilver_Z; 09-29-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Just to name a few, gears, CF DS, 2 piece rotors, wheels, etc..
Old 09-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZYBORG
Just to name a few, gears, CF DS, 2 piece rotors, wheels, etc..

I guess... But I was thinking "engine bolt on's" so in that sense, no my car isn't. But those (besides gears) are more weight reduction than bolt on's. At least in my eyes, lighter wheels and driveshaft absolutely make you faster, but it's weight reduction. And my car does have 2 piece Baer rotors, but I didn't list it because I didn't consider it a bolt on.

I never say "full bolt on's" anyway i always just say bolt on's. For whatever reason when I made this thread I said full bolt on's and the dyno number instead of listing all my mods. My mistake
Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Heres he videos, just uploaded so quality may not be great right away... And don't mind the sandwhich between shifts, my shift **** doesn't stay tight so I didnt want to rip it off. New **** on the way lol

Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Car a sounds sick.

Nice videos and thanks for sharing. Nothing better than some video action!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kills!! Put work in on both of those jokers....

Your car is a runner for sure.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I'm still not claiming my car is faster than a hellcat or a true 600hp GTR, but in this case it was so I wanted to share.

I got my tires, and I got my shift **** on the way so I can actually do a real race and drive this thing. Stay tuned for many kill stories lol and hopefully videos with each one

Quick Reply: Cammed C5Z vs GTR and Hellcat