Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Scat Pack vs. Cammed FBO Bro

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Scat Pack vs. Cammed FBO Bro

So after helping a friend take his pier out at his lake house today and eating out I start heading home. After almost getting home around 10:30p.m., I decide to drive around and try to find some cars to run. After being unsuccessful for about a hour I start to head back home. As I am heading down a main 4 lane road I see a red 13' Bro go by in the opposite direction.

I turn around and catch up to him as we are getting on the highway. I can hear he has exhaust and can tell it is a stick but that is all at this point. We get on the highway and as we merge he nails it. I just somewhat keep pace and wait for him to slow back down. Once he slows back down I just slowly pass him on the highway maybe going 2 mph faster. That way he can see what the car is. As I creep past him he starts to speed up so I nail it just show that I have some get up. He follows suit but had to switch a few lanes due to cars. He falls behind and catches back up as we come to the next exit on the highway.

He puts his turn signal on so I jump over two lanes to get off the highway. The particular exit has a stoplight with two lanes both of which have to turn right. He pulls up next to me in the left lane and turns with me as we merge on to the road. As I merge, I use the paddle shifters to lock it into first gear while being in sport mode. I ease the throttle down and wait until I hear him nail it and I follow suit. He started out a car behind me and I pull a half car from 15-60 and shut down.

Next we get stopped at a light and I tried using traction control. He launched out a car then let off. Later I found out there was a cop. The last run I get behind him on the same road but it is now it is one lane. The light turns green, he launches then I hit it. He pulls out a car and half and I stop his pull by the time he is shifting into third. He winds out third and hits 4th and I have his pull stopped sitting there just over two cars back. I let off at about 110-115 not feeling comfortable being that close while accelerating.

After letting off I flash my brights and put my turn signal on being there was a gas station on the left. We pull in and start talking. Younger dude in his early 20's named Steve. Turns out it is a Brenspeed car 3:73, header, exhaust, tune, CAI, TB, CAMMED 5.0. After he told me it had cams I said it must be high 400 wheel and he acknowledged it was. He popped the hood and had a bunch if things powder coated. I commented on the cams being quiet and was told he had two different tunes. One was quieter and the other sounded more radical. One of the first things he said is that my car is strong. I told him I just had a CAI as far as power mods.

Now I know people are going to call bs but the best explanation I can come up with is he was not winding his car all the way out. He was powershifting the car and hitting gears well. In this cool 50 degree weather some guys have trapped 118 in these cars with almost the same as I have done. Still doesn't add up to running with a modded 5.0 like that. I was lost thinking about how it played out as it did. Only thing I have gotten pulled on by so far has been a cammed C6 ZO6 in this tank.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe your automagic 8 speed??
Old 10-11-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Anything can happen on the street. Nice job
Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work with the mopar, anything can happen on the street especially with a scat and a 8 speed. Also the best looking car out there right now in my oppion
Old 10-11-2015, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you forgetting it didn't sound cammed so it was likely on its lesser tune !
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
Are you forgetting it didn't sound cammed so it was likely on its lesser tune !
Yea I know. But lesser tune hell so we will just say it canceled the cams out. Still plenty of bolt-ons. I even forgot he said he had a one piece drive shaft. He was happy to show me everything which tells me he was proud. So he was leaving something on the table so think. I agree about automagic 8 speed. I have also witnessed two cobras get slightly below common HP numbers due to Brenspeed being very conservative on their tunes. I don't blame them though. Less headaches from customers.

I need to get my opti spark fixed today in the camaro. Then find some races. I am going to get my go pro setup too damnit.Just converted it to e85 and it makes my challenger feel average.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol has two different tunes for cam lope? He's Bama tuned with no cams I bet. Just uses the "ghost cams" tune to throw people off more than likely.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Lol has two different tunes for cam lope? He's Bama tuned with no cams I bet. Just uses the "ghost cams" tune to throw people off more than likely.
^that. Either way, good kill. Despite haters, bolt on br0s are quick.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All these "cammed" 5.0s running around. I dont believe this personally. A set of cams for a coyote is like $1500 plus install. I dont see people wasting money on that mod when they are getting up in the blower price range. I know a lot of tooners offer the "Cammed" tune which give it a lopey idle. I think thats what most of these guys have.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

The car would idle smooth, start to lope for 3-4 seconds then stop. It would repeat every 5 min or so. We talked for 15 minutes and he left his running. Bros are quick. My big tank gets down so any bro that takes it runs good. This one just underperformed, lied about mods or both. He was driving the hell out of the car though. It was nice hearing him power shift and not go anywhere on the 2-3 and the 3-4.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

I agree people sleep on the scat pack
Old 10-11-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats actually not hard to achieve. If the dude didnt have cams why lie? Would have been better beating him with just bolt ons than admitting you had cams as well.

Its very easy to hide lobe with a tune. No matter what you do cammed cars will usually sound cammed but I can easily take a lot of lobe away at idle by adding or subtracting a little fuel at idle, then bumping up timing, and finally adjusting idle speed. I could make a 224r cam idle like a trex or almost to where you couldnt tell the car was cammed. With VVT that coyotes have it would get even easier since you could play with cam timing as well.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

I second that. If I was bolt on only beating a scat pack i would make sure they knew it
Old 10-11-2015, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Am I the only one here that thinks a bolt on bro should still be beating stock scat packs? I like the new Scat Packs a lot too. But y'all talkin' rowdy lol.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Jabroni, is your Scat Pack running mid 11s according to your timing thing on the dash? I can't remember what time you said it ran...
Old 10-11-2015, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
So after helping a friend take his pier out at his lake house today and eating out I start heading home. After almost getting home around 10:30p.m., I decide to drive around and try to find some cars to run. After being unsuccessful for about a hour I start to head back home. As I am heading down a main 4 lane road I see a red 13' Bro go by in the opposite direction.

I turn around and catch up to him as we are getting on the highway. I can hear he has exhaust and can tell it is a stick but that is all at this point. We get on the highway and as we merge he nails it. I just somewhat keep pace and wait for him to slow back down. Once he slows back down I just slowly pass him on the highway maybe going 2 mph faster. That way he can see what the car is. As I creep past him he starts to speed up so I nail it just show that I have some get up. He follows suit but had to switch a few lanes due to cars. He falls behind and catches back up as we come to the next exit on the highway.

He puts his turn signal on so I jump over two lanes to get off the highway. The particular exit has a stoplight with two lanes both of which have to turn right. He pulls up next to me in the left lane and turns with me as we merge on to the road. As I merge, I use the paddle shifters to lock it into first gear while being in sport mode. I ease the throttle down and wait until I hear him nail it and I follow suit. He started out a car behind me and I pull a half car from 15-60 and shut down.

Next we get stopped at a light and I tried using traction control. He launched out a car then let off. Later I found out there was a cop. The last run I get behind him on the same road but it is now it is one lane. The light turns green, he launches then I hit it. He pulls out a car and half and I stop his pull by the time he is shifting into third. He winds out third and hits 4th and I have his pull stopped sitting there just over two cars back. I let off at about 110-115 not feeling comfortable being that close while accelerating.

After letting off I flash my brights and put my turn signal on being there was a gas station on the left. We pull in and start talking. Younger dude in his early 20's named Steve. Turns out it is a Brenspeed car 3:73, header, exhaust, tune, CAI, TB, CAMMED 5.0. After he told me it had cams I said it must be high 400 wheel and he acknowledged it was. He popped the hood and had a bunch if things powder coated. I commented on the cams being quiet and was told he had two different tunes. One was quieter and the other sounded more radical. One of the first things he said is that my car is strong. I told him I just had a CAI as far as power mods.

Now I know people are going to call bs but the best explanation I can come up with is he was not winding his car all the way out. He was powershifting the car and hitting gears well. In this cool 50 degree weather some guys have trapped 118 in these cars with almost the same as I have done. Still doesn't add up to running with a modded 5.0 like that. I was lost thinking about how it played out as it did. Only thing I have gotten pulled on by so far has been a cammed C6 ZO6 in this tank.
I have run one scatpack so far. he started out in front and nailed it. I went by him at the top of 2nd and had no problem pulling away in 3rd. traffic stopped the rape train.

I have three mods.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

#3mod
Old 10-11-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jabroni, is your Scat Pack running mid 11s according to your timing thing on the dash? I can't remember what time you said it ran...
From what I HAVE READ ON THE INTERNET a bolt on bro should be beating me for sure. I have only raced one 5.0 so far. I also have seen a drag pack, mids, tune cai, and I think one other mod run 12.2 at 114. Dont know where the video is but it got posted on SRK a month ago.

I have a inch taller tire and the ecm is not calibrated for it. Looking at the 0-60 and and trap speed it adds up that the readings are skewed 2-3 tenths. Here is the best slip so far in the performance pages. In the cooler weather we were in it could trap another 1-2 mph but that is a moot point cause the 5.0 would be faster too being in the same weather. I have only tried running the quarter on the street with performance pages 3 times. I am sure I could do better if I cared to try more. 20 inch tires are not cheap. I got my bigger 275/45/20 Yokohama Advan Sports on closeout for 150 a tire. Normally they are 350. The JLT intake noticably picked up power. Should not be full bolt-on bro speed though not denying that.

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 10-11-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice runs.

I think "high 400's" is a bit generous tho, maybe 450 if he has cams, I know brenspeed specifically did a test with a set of comp cams and only made 20hp more, a total of 440 or so, I don't remember exactly but that was with headers too. And unless things have changed brenspeed never did a "ghost cam" tune so I'm a little confused on why he said it has two tunes and one lopes more, but there's tons of guys running the cammed tune with stock cams.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by QuickSilver_Z
Nice runs.

I think "high 400's" is a bit generous tho, maybe 450 if he has cams, I know brenspeed specifically did a test with a set of comp cams and only made 20hp more, a total of 440 or so, I don't remember exactly but that was with headers too. And unless things have changed brenspeed never did a "ghost cam" tune so I'm a little confused on why he said it has two tunes and one lopes more, but there's tons of guys running the cammed tune with stock cams.
If everything was right with his car 440 would make more sense. Cause these 485hp 8 speeds are putting down around 430 to the tire stock. The extra gears help negate the weight disadvantage.

Quick Reply: Scat Pack vs. Cammed FBO Bro