Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Fatcat VS Sis Gen ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:10 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Right there with detoxx. Never leaving a car stock for long
New LT eats itself too often to void the warranty.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Good runs
Old 12-17-2016, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly the shifting sucked in the ZL1. The Hellcat would pull a half car on every ZL1 shift. I think an Auto ZL1 will beat the Hellcat, but not by much.

Honestly, I kind of thought the ZL1 would have beat the Hellcat even with the bad shifting. I mean a Hellcat is usually a 125 mph trap car....surely a stick ZL1 will trap that..?

This is a repeat of Hennessy's Z06 vs ZL1 test a few weeks ago, the Z06 driver was straight up TERRIBLE.

Hennessy probably has both of these cars parted out by now anyway and their parts for sale on eBay.....and the cars were probably loaners...lol
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

As expected. Auto to auto should be close.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Faster stock in a straight line doesn't concern me. I like the looks and styling of the ZL1 better and if I had one it wouldn't be stock anyway. On top of that I love cars that can handle so give me one with a manual so I can hit the twisties.
Umm, the auto ZL1 is faster around a track then the manual ZL1. Though I am going to pre-agree with you that a stick is a whole lot funner and more involved then a auto on a track.

In a auto ZL1:
10 turns of perfect shifting/downshifting/holding gears followed by 1 time it doesn't do what you want and there is nothing you can do about it. NOTHING.

M6 ZL1:
10 turns and there is probably 2 times you made a error that could have improved your track times. And you know exactly what to do about it. And that perfect lap or two that you absolutely nail? Pure bliss that erases the 8 other laps where you made slight errors.

It's not like 90% of regular road course drivers are actually out there trying to earn a living off of it. Those that are, will undoubtedly drive the auto's for the consistency.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't care about all that. I like driving myself.

ajrthom makes a good point about Hennessey when it comes to the last test they did and the whole shady business.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 PM
7 Second Club

It's always been stick for rolls and auto for digs.

Then the Sis Gen ZL1 M6 gets gapped on a roll, all of a sudden it's automagic for everything. lol

Old 12-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
I am tired of getting confused if you are replying or if its Islander. Someone has to sell their GT100. This SRK section has place for only 1
Not sure how... lol... avatars and signatures are totally different.

Originally Posted by islander033
Kinda nice having a car with some ballz huh? Now you gotta learn how to drive. lol
Not too impressed, so far... Kinda missing my camaro.

Looks like Zyborg has a pretty good chance against the new ZL1, both being bone stock.

https://youtu.be/qK2c0cJw3n4

I just came back from a little cruise with a buddy in his GTR. Ran into a guy with a new black ZL1, open road, lined up and the guy rolls his window down amd says "only has 100 miles" and didnt want to race. Bummer.

That is, IF Zyborg learns how to handle all his new found powa and can shift decent.....I know that was a few "IFs".
Had a chance to test the shelby vs my buddies GTR with only a mid pipe. I expected to get him, but race was dead nuts even. Very dissapointed in the shelby. Ran him in Comp mode. Not sure if that is affecting how the car runs in order to keep traction. Need to learn this car better.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:59 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZYBORG
Not sure how... lol... avatars and signatures are totally different.

Not too impressed, so far... Kinda missing my camaro.

Had a chance to test the shelby vs my buddies GTR with only a mid pipe. I expected to get him, but race was dead nuts even. Very dissapointed in the shelby. Ran him in Comp mode. Not sure if that is affecting how the car runs in order to keep traction. Need to learn this car better.
No Idea, I just turn all nannies off and rip gears.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Idea, I just turn all nannies off and rip gears.
Yeah. Gonna have to say **** the nannies and grow some huevos.

What have you done to the failhundred to help the traction situation?
Old 12-17-2016, 09:27 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZYBORG
Yeah. Gonna have to say **** the nannies and grow some huevos.

What have you done to the failhundred to help the traction situation?
Adjustable upper and non adjustable lower control arms, then roll on 305mm MT DRs at 20psi.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

I think times have changed to where the autos are better on rolls. It only makes sense to. The only real advantage the stick cars had on rolls was better gearing/more gear choices and a little better efficiency. Now the autos have gained alot in efficiency and have more gearing ratios and shift quicker than the manuals.

It only makes sense.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I think times have changed to where the autos are better on rolls. It only makes sense to. The only real advantage the stick cars had on rolls was better gearing/more gear choices and a little better efficiency. Now the autos have gained alot in efficiency and have more gearing ratios and shift quicker than the manuals.

It only makes sense.

Regardless they admitted to not shifting hard. And it was obvious.

Guess we will see what happens when they test auto to auto. Although from a roll the weight isn't as much of a hindrance to the hellcat.

I've always been unsure if the zl1 would be faster but I'm guessing the a10 should do better. Especially compared to casual shifting
Old 12-18-2016, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

I'd be stunned if the auto ZL1 beat the auto hellcat. Wouldn't be surprised to see it a damn close race though. Like I thought when they announced the HP of the ZL1: "nice, but not enough to dethrone the hellcat".
Old 12-18-2016, 05:39 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
...Guess we will see what happens when they test auto to auto. Although from a roll the weight isn't as much of a hindrance to the hellcat....
A=F/M changes on a roll? Is there a fudge factor that I'm not aware of?

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I'd be stunned if the auto ZL1 beat the auto hellcat. Wouldn't be surprised to see it a damn close race though. Like I thought when they announced the HP of the ZL1: "nice, but not enough to dethrone the hellcat".
I agree with this, the math wasn't really in favor of the ZL1.

I do think the ZL1 is a better platform than the Fatcat and I was actually hoping the ZL1 would have took the title.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It's always been stick for rolls and auto for digs.

Then the Sis Gen ZL1 M6 gets gapped on a roll, all of a sudden it's automagic for everything. lol

There are some here who can bang gears. Some will never.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones

I don't think there is much doubt the zl1 will beat the hellcat. Auto to auto or stick to stick.

As quick as the lt4 has gone in the vette stock and lbo it's a given.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It only makes sense.
An auto CAN better on rolls. There are big losses through the trans. The manual needs an extended power band. My power and peak at 6800 and holds flat to 7800. I have a 1500 rpm drop in shifts. Same result as an eight speed. Never dropping power on shift. Of course I can't shift there until a magnum trans but the point is, a manual has the power advantage.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

This isn't the 8 speed...it's the 10 speed in the zl1. So there lots of improvements even vs the 8 speed with was pretty damn good.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:34 PM
7 Second Club

This isn't the 8 speed...it's the 10 speed in the zl1. So there lots of improvements even vs the 8 speed with was pretty damn good.
It's probably a good thing GM is moving to a A10 that was co-developed with Ford.

Starting to hear of a few GM A8 failures as of late. I know of one C7Z that is on it's 3rd A8. They race it hard but the first trans failed bone stock and GM wouldn't warranty it....due to them racing, which I thought GM didn't have issues with.

Quick Reply: Fatcat VS Sis Gen ZL1