Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Sexgen vs S550 local action

Old 03-06-2017, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I said I would update so I am.

Best pass yesterday on pump 93:

I had a run or two with a hair better mph but the average 60ft was only 1.67 as usual. Unfortunately, again, the car wouldn't hold any timing and even at 20* total is was showing a ton of KR down the track. On the hit I can hear it so I know that part is real. I can't hear it all the way down though but I can feel the surging as the computer pulls the timing. The interior is very quiet since I am running cats and the stock exhaust. I think I would be able to hear any real KR. I looked back at some other pump gas runs from the past in similar weather and the car was holding another 5* of timing with no issues at a leaner AFR all the way down. I am going to have to tear into it again. Hopefully I can narrow it down quickly and attack the issue and get back at it. The car had 11.20's@122+ in it all day yesterday. I only got to make 5 passes and 4 of those were experimenting again. Anyway, it is what it is and I figured I would be a man of my word and post up even though the results were not good.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray

I had a run or two with a hair better mph but the average 60ft was only 1.67 as usual. Unfortunately, again, the car wouldn't hold any timing and even at 20* total is was showing a ton of KR down the track. On the hit I can hear it so I know that part is real. I can't hear it all the way down though but I can feel the surging as the computer pulls the timing. The interior is very quiet since I am running cats and the stock exhaust. I think I would be able to hear any real KR. I looked back at some other pump gas runs from the past in similar weather and the car was holding another 5* of timing with no issues at a leaner AFR all the way down. I am going to have to tear into it again. Hopefully I can narrow it down quickly and attack the issue and get back at it. The car had 11.20's@122+ in it all day yesterday. I only got to make 5 passes and 4 of those were experimenting again. Anyway, it is what it is and I figured I would be a man of my word and post up even though the results were not good.
Right on Pray, if anyone can sort a sis gen out it's you.

GL dude!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice job Pray

Camaro is grossly over priced.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hope you get it worked out man. Good seeing you again.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Nice job Pray

Camaro is grossly over priced.
I agree with you MM. I think they priced themselves out of the market. THe red tag sales picked up a bunch of sales.... they should price them similar to the Mustangs of that same year to stay competitive in sales.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised how much of the s550 sales are actual GT models. I can see why ford dropped the v6 model as the ecoboost models were much more popular. I'm sure they are doing some more ecoboost options to keep cafe in check
Old 03-06-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I will keep digging in to see what I can find. Of course back on my street tires today this dang car took what I threw at it with no issues. I swear this car and I are at odd's and it hates me. That is probably because it was way over priced and I bitch about it every day.

This is a nice car but if I didn't have to have back seats I would be driving my old shop 15' C7. We were already almost in the 10's on pump with a couple bolt ons almost two years ago. Heck, half the tuning stuff I really needed didn't even exist back then. I would have paid a grand less for that car already modded than I did for this Camaro and I got a pretty good deal considering there were no sales at the time. I walked out for under sticker. GM did up their game with this car by leaps and bounds over the 5th Gen but almost 50K is ridiculous. You guys wonder why people aren't smashing these things like I am, warrantee. Once the normal guys buys one of these things there is no mod money or money to eat what you break. This car turned most guys into Corvette owners. But most Corvette owners now a days mod their crap more than the Camaro guys do. Then you have that any new GM platform has the growing year, hardly do they get anything right in the first year of a platform change. This car was bought for the sole purpose of product development and perfecting my LT1 tuning skills. If not for that purpose alone I would have left it at the dealership. That I have gotten it to go kind of quick is just a bonus. It is still by no means fast. Actually, it probably won't ever be fast. It will be kind of quick though thanks to the A8. I can't believe I just thanked an automatic transmission. But this is just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Hope you get it worked out man. Good seeing you again.
Thanks brother, you too. Sorry I had to bail. It was either leave or light the car on fire. I think being at the track voids my insurance.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah pray like I said above 2ss 6G is damn near priced a nice used low mile z51 c7
Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Yeah pray like I said above 2ss 6G is damn near priced a nice used low mile z51 c7
Yep, lighter, faster, better looking, but no back seat. Don't get me wrong, the 6G is a great car. Maybe to great. I guess it isn't over priced for what you get but at the end of the day it is labeled a Camaro. GM way crossed the line of Muscle car and Sports car. They didn't blur it, they erased it. God bless them for doing it but they out priced their market of median income younger guys that want to build something and make it their own and make it stupid fast. Maybe they have some little kids they need to get around as well. Now you get older guys like me starting to hit their 40's with two full time jobs a wife and a couple kids that want a more refined car and can't afford a V but don't need a giant cam or dual 3" exhaust just to hear the pipes ring. Any mods, even a tune will void the warrantee and cause the wife to flip her lid if you break something. So you get the rep in the racing forums the 6G has gotten so far. Kind of sucks for such a fantastic car and lineage.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by V8EATR
If Cory and I make it out to the KY drag race thing, we can arm wrestle our way to victory over camp GM.
I sure wish the track event was a month later. I'm going to be there, but I can't race a coyote that won't shift. My turbo simply needs more time. If , by some miracle the turbo is in hard running shape I will run it for a mph run. See how many mph a 5 psi modular can run. I'm thinking 13.0 @ 140 mph
Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

6G backseat a hair smaller than 5G backseats but think S550 and Challenger hold a bit of an advantage in backseat room.

That being said, I've owned a s197 for 2 years and have used the backseat maybe 2-3 times. All for my nieces.

c7 seems better
Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn...all this bagging on the 6G price, yet I see them for mid $30s everywhere..fairly cheap if you ask me. I remember paying $28k for a WS6 Formula new back in '99, and the 6G is a second faster, better on gas, much nicer interior, pretty much better in every way...for only $7-8k more...that's a bargain, and not counting 18 years of inflation.

I don't see what everyone is bitching about on the cost....

Especially considering Ford is trying to hock GT350s for $70k+
Old 03-07-2017, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Damn...all this bagging on the 6G price, yet I see them for mid $30s everywhere..fairly cheap if you ask me. I remember paying $28k for a WS6 Formula new back in '99, and the 6G is a second faster, better on gas, much nicer interior, pretty much better in every way...for only $7-8k more...that's a bargain, and not counting 18 years of inflation.

​​​​​​​I am talking about the sticker price of the 2SS. 47K was the lowest I saw at the time I bought mine.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am talking about the sticker price of the 2SS. 47K was the lowest I saw at the time I bought mine.
​​​​​​​Same here. $47-48k. They were reasonable when GM was running 16-20% off deal
Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
I sure wish the track event was a month later. I'm going to be there, but I can't race a coyote that won't shift. My turbo simply needs more time. If , by some miracle the turbo is in hard running shape I will run it for a mph run. See how many mph a 5 psi modular can run. I'm thinking 13.0 @ 140 mph
Lol....more like 115-120 maybe.

I seen 6gens advertised for 32k.

Mark up on gt350s are outta sight. When talking price points the furd guys never consider that tho.

Any way to monitor/log fuel pressure on it?

Ls stuff will feel just as you described with a fuel filter that's not even to bad.

Thanks for continuing to share your progress.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Goes both ways. The gt350 is outrageously overpriced (smh), On the other hand a fully loaded 2ss coupe fifty with mrc and sunroof, navi etc will be around 48k in manual and almost 50k for an A8. That is ridiculous for a damn Camaro and I own one. Yes maybe a base 1ss manual with absolutely zero options can be found for 33-34k but I would buy a base 5.0 and add a blower (maybe 4k more), OR a used C7 Z51.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fast02Z06
Goes both ways. The gt350 is outrageously overpriced (smh), On the other hand a fully loaded 2ss coupe fifty with mrc and sunroof, navi etc will be around 48k in manual and almost 50k for an A8. That is ridiculous for a damn Camaro and I own one. Yes maybe a base 1ss manual with absolutely zero options can be found for 33-34k but I would buy a base 5.0 and add a blower (maybe 4k more), OR a used C7 Z51.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. For that price point may as well get a superior lightly used c7 z51.

I agree that gt350 dealer markups are sad. Anybody paying over msrp is an idiot though so I don't know what to tell them.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast02Z06
My 1ss with a8 option and npp was 30,600. Msrp was just over 40k.

I got 20% off plus more
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
My 1ss with a8 option and npp was 30,600. Msrp was just over 40k.

I got 20% off plus more
Nice, I though I did well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sexgen vs S550 local action