Bad luck with the 5.0's vs My 408 Z28 - LS1TECH

Log In 


Street Racing & Kill Stories a.sponlink:link {font-size: 9px;} img.surround{ border-color: #000000; border-width:1px; margin-bottom: 9.5px; } span.sponsortext { font-size: 10px; }
Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bad luck with the 5.0's vs My 408 Z28

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
chrdij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 246
Default Bad luck with the 5.0's vs My 408 Z28

Me and a few buds of mine are at the local car hangout in Northern Va, and decided to bring my Z28 out with only 3k on the motor. A few more of my friends show up to take a look under the hood, and could not tell the diffrence between the 408 and the stock ls1. So I hit the nitrous switch (hidden dry kit under the filter) and got the attention of this 5.0 rag top (fox style).

The 5.0 guy came over and Asked "how much are you spraying"?. I told him that it was a small 75 dry shot, then asked if I wanted to race for some $$. So then we agreed to race for $20 (that's the most i could get him for). He had a friend with him that has a LS1 T/A and that his 5.0 could take it pretty easily. I found out from one of his friends that he has a built 331 with 175 shot. We agreed to race from a dig, him with E/T streets, and me on street tires. We both line up and do a burnout. He let me have the kick, and as soon as my tired started to grip, my fornt bumper was at his door. When i sprayed, my car was pulling on him real quick. As i was about to pass him, i hit my rev limiter and the car started to overheat so i let off the gas and pulled off to the side of the road. I popped the hood and found that the serpintine belt had cut in half and the power steering pully had shattered to bits. Needless to say, the 5.0 guy took my money and will not give me a rematch.

Story 2: i was riding on the highway one night, when i see a red 95 cobra riding my ***.(my liscense plate cover says "i pimp slap mustangs") he finally pulls beside me, and doesn't do anything. i looked over and saw his pillar/boost gaugeand could hear his supercharger. i tried to gun it a few times but he still wouldn't do anything. As he got close to his exit, he floored it and pulled real hardbut didn't get a chance to react before he exited

Maybe next time i'll have better luck with 5.0's.
chrdij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
!LS1 11 Second Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 7,133
Default

Mechanical loss, not a driving loss- no biggie. Just sucks to have to pull over during a race. You'll find your fox soon enough.
SouthFL.02.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
BigBronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 10,588
Default

damn that sucks man! you have any idea of what caused that to come apart?'


also how was the car running before that. I am guessing pretty good
BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
chrdij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 246
Default

The car is running like a beast now. I think the problem was due to the power steering pulley, it had a little crack around the edge and im guessing it split right down the middle. It was a long night..had to go back to the shop get the trailer (40 miles 1 way) and limp it home! The car was up and going the next day though.
chrdij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
chrdij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBronco
damn that sucks man! you have any idea of what caused that to come apart?'


also how was the car running before that. I am guessing pretty good
The car was running really good before that! The rev limiter was set at 7300 and I still hit it going into 2nd! Thinking after the belt was cut in 2, it made the engine spin a little more with no load on the thing. Now the limiter is set for 7500 rpm and looking fro a rematch!
chrdij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
BigBronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 10,588
Default

well im glad that motor is running like it should be! Have fun and be safe bro!
BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
TECH Junkie
 
titanium barchetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: School, Texas
Posts: 3,305
Default

titanium barchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
12 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
black_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,324
Default

7500 Where did your TRex peak at in that 408?
black_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
chrdij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_z
7500 Where did your TRex peak at in that 408?
Never had the car on the dyno, but I slam the tech all the time. I have to be hitting around 7400 rpm with juice, now it's set at 7500 with HP tuners and no problems.
chrdij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 PM   #10
Too slow for YOU!
 
MillaTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cornwall, NY
Posts: 3,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrdij
The car is running like a beast now. I think the problem was due to the power steering pulley, it had a little crack around the edge and im guessing it split right down the middle. It was a long night..had to go back to the shop get the trailer (40 miles 1 way) and limp it home! The car was up and going the next day though.
Good to hear its running again! That stang guy knows he got extremely lucky. Maybe next time
MillaTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:51 PM   #11
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
chrdij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium barchetta
chrdij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 PM   #12
NKAWTG...N
iTrader: (3)
 
StoleIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,734
Default

408 ci with spray...not many street cars and keep up with that...put some slicks on that bad boy.
StoleIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #13
TECH Enthusiast
 
bottlefed5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kennedale TX
Posts: 694
Default

Oh man that sucks. I wouldn't have taken your money. If I'm runnin' someone for money and they broke, the manley thing to do is let him keep his money.
bottlefed5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #14
TECH Addict
iTrader: (13)
 
eric01ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: arlington aka aggtown
Posts: 2,677
Default

that suck get hte car fixed and go spank his *** so he looks stupid for taking some money instead of helping them out
eric01ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:29 AM   #15
TECH Resident
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrdij
Me and a few buds of mine are at the local car hangout in Northern Va, and decided to bring my Z28 out with only 3k on the motor. A few more of my friends show up to take a look under the hood, and could not tell the diffrence between the 408 and the stock ls1. So I hit the nitrous switch (hidden dry kit under the filter) and got the attention of this 5.0 rag top (fox style).

The 5.0 guy came over and Asked "how much are you spraying"?. I told him that it was a small 75 dry shot, then asked if I wanted to race for some $$. So then we agreed to race for $20 (that's the most i could get him for). He had a friend with him that has a LS1 T/A and that his 5.0 could take it pretty easily. I found out from one of his friends that he has a built 331 with 175 shot. We agreed to race from a dig, him with E/T streets, and me on street tires. We both line up and do a burnout. He let me have the kick, and as soon as my tired started to grip, my fornt bumper was at his door. When i sprayed, my car was pulling on him real quick. As i was about to pass him, i hit my rev limiter and the car started to overheat so i let off the gas and pulled off to the side of the road. I popped the hood and found that the serpintine belt had cut in half and the power steering pully had shattered to bits. Needless to say, the 5.0 guy took my money and will not give me a rematch.

Story 2: i was riding on the highway one night, when i see a red 95 cobra riding my ***.(my liscense plate cover says "i pimp slap mustangs") he finally pulls beside me, and doesn't do anything. i looked over and saw his pillar/boost gaugeand could hear his supercharger. i tried to gun it a few times but he still wouldn't do anything. As he got close to his exit, he floored it and pulled real hardbut didn't get a chance to react before he exited

Maybe next time i'll have better luck with 5.0's.
damn, too bad. It will come around again. That's why he won't race, you would of won easily I think. You need a larger shot of juice, I bet that beast you have hauls *ss.
wickedwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #16
TECH Resident
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed5.0
Oh man that sucks. I wouldn't have taken your money. If I'm runnin' someone for money and they broke, the manley thing to do is let him keep his money.
I'm with you on this one. Let him keep his money so he can get his car fixed. But than again, how many people say that when they lose. I mean, they may use that as an excuse.
wickedwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #17
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
chrdij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed5.0
Oh man that sucks. I wouldn't have taken your money. If I'm runnin' someone for money and they broke, the manley thing to do is let him keep his money.
I agree with you a 100%. The thing that pissed me off the most, he turned around (one way street) saw me pulled off the side of the road with my flashers on, passed right by me and went to the start line and collected from my buddys and didnt have the ***** to get the money from me! If it was myself, I would of stopped and helped out in stead of driving off...but then again thats just the kind of person I am.
chrdij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #18
7 Second Club / STF Veteran
 
68maro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 873
Default

where in northern va i'll see what i can find out about your fox.
68maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:06 PM   #19
TECH Fanatic
 
Mike 01WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 1,224
Default

Thats one shady *** fox driver! WTF??!! Just left your *** there...?

Oh and the reason he wasnt gonna give you a rematch is because when you smoked his broke *** for his 20 bucks, you'd have taken the paint off his doors in the process--I guess he just didnt wanna be out that much money for one night on the town.
Mike 01WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:50 AM   #20
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
chrdij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68maro
where in northern va i'll see what i can find out about your fox.
I live in centreville, but the race went down in Manassas.
chrdij is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.