Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Formula vs. 02 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Formula vs. 02 GT

OK, tonight a friend of mine was in town for X-mas break and he had his 02 GT out. We kinda talked about racing last night but of course we were both under the influence of the alchohol beverage . Well, today we go out and decide to race. We did video tape it and if someone wants to host the video I can post it. Anyways, his mods are as followed:

JBA Headers
O/R X pipe
Flowmaster cat-back
CAI
Custom Shifter

Mine are:

Moroso CAI
Pulleys
GMMG Exhaust

1st Race: We will talk about that later.

2nd Race: Both came off the line hard. He missed second then missed third. ended the race and decided to start over.

3rd Race: very good launch on both of our parts, good race until i missed 3rd really bad (damn stock shifter). so end of that race

Now back to the 1st race. We both came off the line spinning hard. Almost actually slid into each other. I pulled him off the line pretty good with no problem at all. Then when we both hit 2nd he started to pull on he and evened up the distance and then actually got a little ahead of me. Went into third and I started pulling on him. The race was neck and neck the whole way. At the end we could not tell who won. Definetly one of the best races I have ever had. Close all the way. Well just thought I would tell my story. PEACE
Old 01-01-2005, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds about right to me. Those 99-04 GTs seem to be neck and neck with the LT1 F-bodies. Like the Mach 1s are to the LS1 boys. Great runs! I hope someone host that video for you. I would love to see it!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, they are pretty fast cars. my friend is an excellent driver too so that evened it up even more. hopefully someone will host the vid its a pretty close race all the way. And I love the way my GMMG sounded on flyby
Old 01-03-2005, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Very nice race and your right they are very close Ive owned a few LT1s and I still have one.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I would pull my ex-wifes GT off the line by about half a car, then she would stay on my tail till we shut it down most of the time. Shes a damn good driver.

Last edited by slowmofo; 01-03-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Sounds about right to me. Those 99-04 GTs seem to be neck and neck with the LT1 F-bodies. Like the Mach 1s are to the LS1 boys. Great runs! I hope someone host that video for you. I would love to see it!
think so? He's got a few more better mods on that gt. I think the gt has a little bit better mods. Besides, I can't wait to see that video too.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
think so? He's got a few more better mods on that gt. I think the gt has a little bit better mods. Besides, I can't wait to see that video too.
O/R X pipe
Flowmaster cat-back
CAI
Thoughs three mods on the GT will not add anything HP O/R X pipe is only good if he goes FI not N/A. Flowmasters are junk no power gains there. CAI is crap to, you gain more by just taking out the silencer in the fender well and adding a K&N. CAI are usually made with metal which heat soaks more then the stock plastic.
The headers are the only thing that added any power to the GT, and the shifter lets him shift a little better.

K&N drop in (remove rubber silencer and MAF screen)
Headers
Catted X pipe
Magnaflow cat back ( I perfer)
4.10 gear and DR.

Then I would say the GT out modded the LT1.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joegt38
O/R X pipe
Flowmaster cat-back
CAI
Thoughs three mods on the GT will not add anything HP O/R X pipe is only good if he goes FI not N/A. Flowmasters are junk no power gains there. CAI is crap to, you gain more by just taking out the silencer in the fender well and adding a K&N. CAI are usually made with metal which heat soaks more then the stock plastic.
The headers are the only thing that added any power to the GT, and the shifter lets him shift a little better.

K&N drop in (remove rubber silencer and MAF screen)
Headers
Catted X pipe
Magnaflow cat back ( I perfer)
4.10 gear and DR.

Then I would say the GT out modded the LT1.
magnaflow and flowmaster put out similar numbers on the dyno. The gt has headers, best upgrade for either motor over the factory. I agree on the x-pipe, but should gain with it since he has headers. Those jba headers gained my tbird 22hp at the wheels with the intake. The k&n was plastic which have been known to gain more power when having exhaust work done, it. I use to own a tbird 95 4.6L before my formula. Same exact motor except for the intakes on them. The later years put out more hp, the early models only put out 220hp. my k&n was plastic for the year and so was the mustang for that year up to 97. The parts were nearly identical.

gear swap is the best install to do. But when I checked last, i believe the newer mustangs came with 3.55s or 3.31s from the factory. Cobra had the 3.73s. my tbird was only 3.08s, same with the mustangs. The stick came with 3.27s of that time.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-04-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

magnaflow and flowmaster put out similar numbers on the dyno. The gt has headers, best upgrade for either motor over the factory. I agree on the x-pipe, but should gain with it since he has headers. Those jba headers gained my tbird 22hp at the wheels with the intake. The k&n was plastic which have been known to gain more power when having exhaust work done, it. I use to own a tbird 95 4.6L before my formula. Same exact motor except for the intakes on them. The later years put out more hp, the early models only put out 220hp. my k&n was plastic for the year and so was the mustang for that year up to 97. The parts were nearly identical.

gear swap is the best install to do. But when I checked last, i believe the newer mustangs came with 3.55s or 3.31s from the factory. Cobra had the 3.73s. my tbird was only 3.08s, same with the mustangs. The stick came with 3.27s of that time.
I had flowmaster on my GT first and gained 0 on the dyno, my magna flow gained I believe 8rwhp.
I agree the headers make a nice difference but on his car its only making up for the off road x pipe and flowmasters.

99-04 GTs all came stock 3.27
03/04 machs and cobras came with 3.55
99/01 cobras came with 3.27
96-98 cobras came with a 3.27 also
Thats why the 96-98,99/01 Cobras are slow for the power they got, to low of a gear for a high revving motor keeps them outta there power band.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joegt38
I had flowmaster on my GT first and gained 0 on the dyno, my magna flow gained I believe 8rwhp.
I agree the headers make a nice difference but on his car its only making up for the off road x pipe and flowmasters.

99-04 GTs all came stock 3.27
03/04 machs and cobras came with 3.55
99/01 cobras came with 3.27
96-98 cobras came with a 3.27 also
Thats why the 96-98,99/01 Cobras are slow for the power they got, to low of a gear for a high revving motor keeps them outta there power band.
wow, that's crazy. I got about 8 rwhp from the flowmaster and only 6 from the magnaflow. Isn't that ironic. You should of retested. you should of gained at least 6 with either.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

wow, that's crazy. I got about 8 rwhp from the flowmaster and only 6 from the magnaflow. Isn't that ironic. You should of retested. you should of gained at least 6 with either.
I thought it was odd to but a buddy of mine got like only 1 rwhp with his Flowmasters (on a 96 GT) but he kept them. After that I was kinda convinced. Every cars different but I was against them after that, plus I read somewhere else that they either lost or gained nothing themselves so...
Old 01-05-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Someone Please Host This Vid For Me!!!! I Want To Post It!!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

its only about a 18 sec video. so im sure it wont take up that much space.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by needals1
its only about a 18 sec video. so im sure it wont take up that much space.
email me or pm me. I can host it for you.