Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

stock 98 auto Formula vs 04 6speed GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking stock 98 auto Formula vs 04 6speed GTO

Alright, so I always wondered if that HP under the hood of a GTO was there for more than show...now I know.

There's alot that happened during this, but I'll shortin it. I raced the GTO from 5 different red lights in Tallahassee. On take off he would have me by a hood...maybe a little more...I think my spinning on takeoff had to do with that....but every shift slowed him down. He was shifting fast and would bark the tires a little at every shift...but still, I caught up. After all of our playing, I talked to the guy...he asked what all had I done to my car, LOL! Should have seen the look on his face...I don't think he beleaved me when I told him it was stock, but I don't really care. I never did ask if he had done anything to his...I don't think he has.

In truth I do beleave that if we were in a a .25 mile race or even in a 8th mile race, it would be more of a driver race then a car race. I'll eventually get my car on the track and get some numbers, for now...I'll just say it's as fast as a GTO.

Any idea's on how fast I might be running?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firehawk6998
Alright, so I always wondered if that HP under the hood of a GTO was there for more than show...now I know.

There's alot that happened during this, but I'll shortin it. I raced the GTO from 5 different red lights in Tallahassee. On take off he would have me by a hood...maybe a little more...I think my spinning on takeoff had to do with that....but every shift slowed him down. He was shifting fast and would bark the tires a little at every shift...but still, I caught up. After all of our playing, I talked to the guy...he asked what all had I done to my car, LOL! Should have seen the look on his face...I don't think he beleaved me when I told him it was stock, but I don't really care. I never did ask if he had done anything to his...I don't think he has.

In truth I do beleave that if we were in a a .25 mile race or even in a 8th mile race, it would be more of a driver race then a car race. I'll eventually get my car on the track and get some numbers, for now...I'll just say it's as fast as a GTO.

Any idea's on how fast I might be running?

cool, the new gto for 2005 and up is 400hp. They don't make the 350hp version any longer.

I just got the new road and track, I think, or was it car and driver. I know when I get back home again. They tested the new chrysler 300c srt-8, cadilac CTS-V and the 400 hp gto. The 300c had an automatic with 20 inch tires and 3.06 rear. The cts-v had a 6 speed and 3.73s with 18s, the gto had a 6 speed, 3.42s with 17s or 18s (can't remember now)

I will check when I get home.

the cad cts-v ran a 13.1, the 300c posted a 13.2 and the 400hp GTO only ran a 13.3.

All I can say, is the 300c with a stick or better rear or even smaller tires would of posted a 12 something. For an automatic, it was extremely fast.

Anyway, the 350hp wasn't all that impressive, the 400hp is all go with the show.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-05-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
cool, the new gto for 2005 and up is 400hp. They don't make the 350hp version any longer.

I just got the new road and track, I think, or was it car and driver. I know when I get back home again. They tested the new chrysler 300c srt-8, cadilac CTS-V and the 400 hp gto. The 300c had an automatic with 20 inch tires and 3.06 rear. The cts-v had a 6 speed and 3.73s with 18s, the gto had a 6 speed, 3.42s with 17s or 18s (can't remember now)

I will check when I get home.

the cad cts-v ran a 13.1, the 300c posted a 13.2 and the 400hp GTO only ran a 13.3.

All I can say, is the 300c with a stick or better rear or even smaller tires would of posted a 12 something. For an automatic, it was extremely fast.

Anyway, the 350hp wasn't all that impressive, the 400hp is all go with the show.

Yea, I heard about the 2005 GTO, but I still don't quite understand the reasoning behing these newer style GTOs. I mean looke at 'em....the "grocery getter" body style (grand prix and grand am) with the corvette engine...I'm the type of person that I want a car to look as fast as it is.
I mean come on...while there at it, why don't they put a 4 cylinder in a corvette...... it just an't right!! LOL

I just hope when they come out with the new Firebirds and Camaros, they actually resemble the old styles and have the HP like they should.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firehawk6998
Yea, I heard about the 2005 GTO, but I still don't quite understand the reasoning behing these newer style GTOs. I mean looke at 'em....the "grocery getter" body style (grand prix and grand am) with the corvette engine...I'm the type of person that I want a car to look as fast as it is.
I mean come on...while there at it, why don't they put a 4 cylinder in a corvette...... it just an't right!! LOL

I just hope when they come out with the new Firebirds and Camaros, they actually resemble the old styles and have the HP like they should.
their will not be any new firebirds from what I have read, they now have the GTO, lol.

There is going to be a 2007 camaro. It looks to be an ls2 with 400 hp. That should be enough for a low 13s or high 12s. Depending on weight of course and gears.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
their will not be any new firebirds from what I have read, they now have the GTO, lol.

There is going to be a 2007 camaro. It looks to be an ls2 with 400 hp. That should be enough for a low 13s or high 12s. Depending on weight of course and gears.

Ah man, are you kidding me!!! I hope they really don't plan on selling as many GTOs as Firebird. I haven't really checked in on the future cars, I was just under the impression that the Firebirds and Camaros were coming back out in 2007, at least thats what I head back in...2002ish. Pontiac would be gambling without the Firebirds.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, Pontiac would be gambling WITH the Firebirds. Hell, they're gambling enough as it is with just the GTO (sales are horribly sluggish, unfortunately). The GTO was very hyped up, but also is very underrated.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
The GTO was very hyped up, but also is very underrated.
Ha! Underrated, I say it is very OVERRATED!!! Like Firehawk6998 said, grocery getter looks, C'mon, it's pathetic. And what are they thinking with this new Cobalt? It looks more plain than a GTO, someone needs to do something at GM, and in a hurry!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the GTO is not intended to be marketed to a college kid. It is for the guy in his mid-late 30's driving those fruity BMW's.....GM wanted these guys to trade in those cars for their own GTO. As far as styling, the original 'aussie GTO was a little lame, but the new body styles and power options are a good kick to help with the sales....
Old 01-06-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Nothing but a bunch of GTO haters in this thread.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey, when did you get a GTO?

Nice Kill

I really like the style/looks of the GTO. It may be a little bland and look like the grand prix, but I saw one up close and I was drooling a bit. As for the 2007 Camaros... I don't anything is set in stone, and we may not even get another camaro. Ya never know though. And there is virtually no difference between the motor in the 04 GTO and those in the vettes/f-bodys. The f-body should be a little bit faster simply because it is lighter.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I picked her up on the 14th Kevin. She's sitting in the driveway right now, covered in ice. Darn inconveniencing midwest winter weather. The only advantage an M6 gto is the tranny gearing, the M12 has some sweet ratios. Can't wait to get this thing to the track in the spring, then it's time for the Kooks and the cam....i'll just tell people my grand am is only firing on 3 cylinders
Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey im in olathe/overland park my SS is coverd in ice to! join www.MOFBODY.com if you already havn't there's a couple of GTO's on there and lots on LS1 knowledge
Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been meaning to join, i'm just too lazy.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stupid stupid weather...

Blue I order my gaskets and extensions today. Guess we need to start planning a project day for my header install
Old 01-06-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Bob, didn't you read my last post, i'm lazy.

I think you should wait until you beat your old camaro before you install the QTP's. Kinda like i have to wait to install the Kooks (after i buy 'em) until i out drive him.

/thread hijacking

to the poster of this thread....good runs, if you're ever in Kansas City i'd be up for a race...
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Anybody critisizing the "bland" looks of the GTO need to take a few history lessons. The original GTO in 1964 was simply an option package on your everyday, plain jane Tempest. In 65, GTO became its own seperate model, but still retained the same, understated styling. I commend GM for sticking to that strategy and putting the LS1 in a very classy, understated coupe. Also, what hurts the GTO, performance wise is the extra added weight it carries around compared to an fbody.

I like all GM performance cars, Camaro, Firebirds, Corvette, GTO its all good, better than a mustang...
Old 01-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Ha! Underrated, I say it is very OVERRATED!!! Like Firehawk6998 said, grocery getter looks, C'mon, it's pathetic. And what are they thinking with this new Cobalt? It looks more plain than a GTO, someone needs to do something at GM, and in a hurry!!!!
Cobalt still looks better than a neon, only question is will they make stage packages like dodge does for the srt-4.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:54 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FRMRGM
Anybody critisizing the "bland" looks of the GTO need to take a few history lessons. The original GTO in 1964 was simply an option package on your everyday, plain jane Tempest. In 65, GTO became its own seperate model, but still retained the same, understated styling. I commend GM for sticking to that strategy and putting the LS1 in a very classy, understated coupe. Also, what hurts the GTO, performance wise is the extra added weight it carries around compared to an fbody.

I like all GM performance cars, Camaro, Firebirds, Corvette, GTO its all good, better than a mustang...
True, but in this case they had to search for a platform from overseas (and there's nothing wrong with that) due to the lack of attractive, viable domestic GM platforms to bitch from.
I like the GTO, don't get me wrong. But if understated is the look, then what's with the two nostrils now on the hood of the ls2/ '05 variant?
Let's just say, it's better to have this GTO out there than no GTO at all, but GM really coulda done a much better job piecing this one together to achieve a more attractive package.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume those of you who dislike the new GTO because it looks to much like a family car (example: a Grand Prix), are also harsh critics of the original GTO? If not, you had better insert your foot into your mouth and take a few automotive history lessons...

Compare these two cars:
http://www.pontiacserver.com/blackha...to2-fr800c.jpg
http://media3.motorcities.com/03K3A340683819C.jpeg

The first is a 1964 GTO, the second is a 1964 Grand Prix. Even back then, the two cars shared appearances- just as they do now. As somebody already stated in this thread, he GTO option was created as a performance option for the Tempest/LeMans (389ci V-8, 6pack, etc).

The very heritage and idea of the original GTO is present in the current LSX powered GTOs. The only thing that strays from the original idea that you could make an argument for would be the plush interior or the IRS.