Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

STI goes down

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STI goes down

Driving on the 60 East going home from school I see a group of integras maybe following each other somewhere. I just look and keep driving. All of a sudden WOOOOOSH WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??? I look and it's a STI I follow and tail him, but we hit a bit of traffic. The traffic clears and I get on his left and he guns it and pulls me instantly. I was in mid 3rd and nailed it. The *** of the car started sliding to the right and then caught traction. I stopped his pull immediately at the top of 3rd. I heard his BOV (which sounded really nice), but he needed more. 4th I pulled him like a dog on a leash. He then gave up and got off at the next exit. Finally I slow to about 65 and continue my cruise home and the Integras come up and look at me like I have **** on me. Can anybody tell me what I did wong?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

good kill and i get those same dumb look's all the time from the import guy's i just dont pay them any mind.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They prob thought the sti was gunna kick ya ***, and when you showed other wise it would have pissed them off big time. Had you lost they would have been laughing, typical ricer reaction.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

I work with a guy who asked if the Lingenfelter 427 TT was faster than a bolt on RSX type S. This after flipping through the supertuner challenge. I had to inform the lad that all the cars in the challenge would lay a prison raping on an RSX when they were stock.

Ricer's are just blissfully unaware.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sinner
I work with a guy who asked if the Lingenfelter 427 TT was faster than a bolt on RSX type S. This after flipping through the supertuner challenge. I had to inform the lad that all the cars in the challenge would lay a prison raping on an RSX when they were stock.

Ricer's are just blissfully unaware.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

A stock STi from a roll is basically dead against a stock LS1 from a roll - not nearly as much power and too much parasitic loss. I suspect that one you ran was probably stock with maybe a ricer-type BOV on the vehicle. No surprise on the outcome - you should have and did win.

You gotta watch out, though - STis can be made to run in the 11s pretty easily (or at least I think so, as I am about to find out). But I don't think they can be made any faster than that with any type of sanity - though they can be made to have 500 HP to the wheels, turbos that big have too much spool time, and this is pushing the limit of what 4-bangers can do. Another thing is that the import crowd (at least what I have seen in the world that works with STis and Evos) does not seem to be nearly as sophisticated as the LS1/6/2 world - while there are ones out there with good mods, many do the ricer thing.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

so the integra's went 65?!
they must've been real modded to keep up like that.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WeatherGuy
A stock STi from a roll is basically dead against a stock LS1 from a roll - not nearly as much power and too much parasitic loss. I suspect that one you ran was probably stock with maybe a ricer-type BOV on the vehicle. No surprise on the outcome - you should have and did win.

You gotta watch out, though - STis can be made to run in the 11s pretty easily (or at least I think so, as I am about to find out). But I don't think they can be made any faster than that with any type of sanity - though they can be made to have 500 HP to the wheels, turbos that big have too much spool time, and this is pushing the limit of what 4-bangers can do. Another thing is that the import crowd (at least what I have seen in the world that works with STis and Evos) does not seem to be nearly as sophisticated as the LS1/6/2 world - while there are ones out there with good mods, many do the ricer thing.
well said.....when u race them from a dig its like oh ****. because they jump you out of the whole sooo bad but then its like you blow past them pretty easily from the loss of power like u said.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:48 AM
12 Second Club

Tonight, one of my friends sti was next to me, she is stock just has a cat back, so i was mid 3rd gear, and she guns it, so she hoped like half a car then i guned it to, and i was gaining, i was at her rear bumper and gaining more, but then the lane murged and had to pull off, if i was at a 2nd gear launch, i would have beatin it.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WeatherGuy

If I had the cash I'd drop in a built 2.6L with a custom sequential twin turbo setup. Then when you get the Z, just for kicks, slap a couple turbos on that too.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet kill on the STi.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Kill. I have 2 kills on stockish STi's from rolls who pulled up next to me expecting to whip my ***.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by NightHawk_WS6
Good Kill. I have 2 kills on stockish STi's from rolls who pulled up next to me expecting to whip my ***.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Default Coming out

I have to say I sold my 04 sti, but before I did I raped gtos, ls1 ,and a nondriving punk in a cobra. that kid was scared to dig a gear deeper. I ran a 03 m3 top end many times . No winner could be determined. RIP 04 stock sti that ran 8.3 in the 1/8 ht in Savannah , Ga.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You ran even with an M3 in top end races in your stock STi? Was the M3 driver at 3/4 throttle or what?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowec
I have to say I sold my 04 sti, but before I did I raped gtos, ls1 ,and a nondriving punk in a cobra. that kid was scared to dig a gear deeper. I ran a 03 m3 top end many times . No winner could be determined. RIP 04 stock sti that ran 8.3 in the 1/8 ht in Savannah , Ga.
You expect us to believe you outran LS1 cars from a roll in a stock STi?

I also can share in the experience of mangling STis from a roll... from 70-120 I put about 4-5 car lengths on one coming back from the drag strip last spring...

He was a cool guy -- couldn't believe how good my car sounded, and I think he was surprised to get waxed as bad as he did...
Old 01-31-2005, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

I have a "friend" with an STi, he claims to have beaten a WS6 on the highway. I believe him, which makes me believe the WS6 driver wasnt such a good driver.

Thats the problem with street races, anything could happen. Doesn't mean his car is faster, just that he did a better job driving.

Anywho, I intend to make him fall victim once the track opens
Old 01-31-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to repeat what I said earlier - ignoring driver error, there is *no* way that a stock STi is going to beat a stock LS1 from a roll. Now an STi is still going to be very competitive or even pull starting from a 30 mph roll (gotta love the very low gearing), but it is dead when it is a 60 mph roll or higher.

And or course, all bets are off when people start doing serious modding, but none of us do that
Old 01-31-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced an 04 sti from a dig put about 5 cars on him because he could not launch. I raced a guy from a dig who could race and it was a different story. I barely ended up putting about a car on him. I raced one from a roll and put about a bus length on one.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Default almost hot

From a roll From a roll from a roll . that **** is old . Red light and trees are what i am talkin bout. the m3 race was tight , im talkin 60 to 160 many times . you guys have not met up with the right driver in an sti. where is your stock ls1 thats runnin 8.3 1/8ths and hangin w/ M3s on I 95. Maybe i just need to trade my chevy and pop in some vanilla ice. RICE RICE BABY.Dont take it personal , just take it. p.s. Sean and his M3 were pissed.