Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mustang vs F-Body Owners Attitude Diferences??? (rant)

Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mustang vs F-Body Owners Attitude Diferences??? (rant)

Ok, In my short comeback to the car scene I've noticed a major difference between Mustang owners and F-Body owners. This difference revolves around showing or discussing what is under the hood of their car. I know I'm making some generalizations here that are not true 100% of the time, but it seems to me that more ofen than not Mustang owners are reluctant to tell or discuss mods, open their hoods or talk about dyno numbers. On the other hand the crew here spills their guts over the specific mods made and their gains. I would also suspect that this openness carries over to the street and track and most would open their hood if asked.

First I have to ask, is this how things are now, people keeping their cars power under raps not evening discussing mods or performance with other enthusiasts? Or, in general is the scene full of more people like F-body owners? I thought it just might be me until my Mustang owner friend said "What is up with you Camaro guys letting everyone know what your cars will do and what you have done to them".

Being the argumentitive type I told my friend it is bull crap to not discuss what is under the hood or at least open the hood. I said this gives every ricer wannabe the ability to put a spoiler and graphics on his car and claim that it is the fastest car in town. We both agree that the final test is the track, but is there really a point to hiding ones power and mods?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by solocus
We both agree that the final test is the track, but is there really a point to hiding ones power and mods?
If you race others for money, in a N/T contest, whether it be at the track, or on the street, than YES, there is a very big reason for hiding ones power and mods.

You state that the "group here" spills their mods. Venture over to the mustang sites, and you will see everyone spilling their mods there.

Lastly, it isn't just the "Mustang" guys. EVERY group of cars have people like this.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah.... if i didnt race for money, i would have no problem saying everything i have... but, letting someone know everything you have done, what kind of power you make, what kind of times you run, etc... is a quick way to get hustled. I give general ideas of what i have done... but i dont get into detail as not only dont i want that person im setting up a race with for $$ to know everything i have, i dont want that same person going around telling his friends, which inturn tell their friends, that tell all their friends, everything i have done, and what my car runs.

And like 5.8 said, its not just mustang people. Its EVERY car type people.

Theres a saying in the world of streetracing/grudge racing...."Hustle or get hustled". I prefer to not get hustled
Old 02-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SL0WNESS
Theres a saying in the world of streetracing/grudge racing...."Hustle or get hustled". I prefer to not get hustled
Good points made. I guess Ive been away from the street racing scene for a while. When we raced on the street in the past it was always for fun and very rarely for $$. We were all friends and all had good times with our camaros, cudas, TAs and stangs. We were proud of our mods and the power we produced. I guess things are more $$ oriented today.

Back in the day it was all about High compression and big cubes. Heh, what was it that used to be said "The bottle is for Babies".
Old 02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't race for money, therefore I have no problem disclossing what I have, just see my sig
Old 02-04-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like everyone else said, I wouldn't mind telling you what I have done to the car, but then who knows if your gonna go tell the guy that I'm suposed to race for money. Plus, I know of alot of LS1 owners that wont tell you anything about their mods.

But then again, if you ask what I have done,,,, It's just alot of bolt-ons.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

I would tell enough mods to bait, but would not tell all just in case I got snookered.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Stereotyping the difference between Mustang and F-body owners is rather......uh.....not real smart.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

I try not to let anyone no what I have done and I keep my cars looking 99% stock.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can always lie about what you have and the power you make, if you choose to disclose information.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Everyone has their own ****, civic owners think that "VTEC owns JOU", ford owners think their cars are built tough, Volkswagen " drivers wanted". Who gives a ****, if it makes them sleep better, then so be it. Everyone is different, and says and does anything they want with their car.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

there are more cool guys riding around in vettes or fbods then in mustangs. and tehre is prolly a 3-1 mustang ratio.. ricers are usually slightly worse then the local stang guys around here...

though i will tell u this, the three ppl ive met in my life i disliked most all drove stangs by coincidence..... nothing about me disliking them had anything to do with the choice of cars, ******** just tend to buy mustangs from time to time it seems.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

funny how the first three to post are mustang owners and all said just about the same thing. hmmmm?

hmhahahahaha!!!! j/k guys, no flames....got the hydrant ready....

Personally, here in miami the typical stang owner can be categorized as a "ricer" that got smart. But they're are some f-body owners that definitely fit this same discription. I think to stereotype people for their car of choice is incorrect but think about this; the people choose the type of ride so that KIND of ride they drive is representative of who they are.

I have no problem in sharing my specs even if your not. Just trying to prove a point. Even for a race that involves $$, which i will never do, i dont mind lifting the hood if yours is still with the locks on. I find it plainly obvious that your not into the hobbie and are just into the money making, "im hard, and i want my props" scene that has emerged from the fnf genre.

your right solocus, things have changed and are very money oriented...well not everywhere, but mostly that is the norm. As for the bottle, i have a high comp. 408ci and im trying to stay away from the salsa as much as possible but it...is.so.tempting......
Old 02-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Launching!

I know stereotyping is never a good thing and there will always be exceptions to any generalzation. I knew my observation would be met with some disagreement but in the period of one week two stangers both were reluctant to discuss their mods. The first was my friend who I work with and he refused to discuss his dyno numbers and the other was a soldier we met while at lunch and would never have the opportunity to race anyway because we were leaving town in a week, the roads still suck in Watertown, NY. We admired this guys stang and asked him to goin us for luch since he was alone. When we asked what he had done to his car he said something like thats secret. Then when my friend with the stang was checking out this forum he was shocked to see so many dyno charts and such. I went to MustangForums to check out how the stangs do and struggled to find one chart. There was no topic of "Dyno Results" like LS1Tech has.

Anyway, The race for money side makes sense. Yes there are different people in each car group some cool some jerks.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
there are more cool guys riding around in vettes or fbods then in mustangs. and tehre is prolly a 3-1 mustang ratio.. ricers are usually slightly worse then the local stang guys around here...

though i will tell u this, the three ppl ive met in my life i disliked most all drove stangs by coincidence..... nothing about me disliking them had anything to do with the choice of cars, ******** just tend to buy mustangs from time to time it seems.
Well since you own an Fbody, I see your point. I own a mustang and have not ran in to any "uncool" guys in mustangs yet, however, I have ran in to a couple of dicks in fbodies and vettes. HOWEVER, since just about all my friends have either an LS1 or LS6 car, than I know that it's just random people being dicks, and probably has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of car.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know stereotyping is never a good thing and there will always be exceptions to any generalzation. I knew my observation would be met with some disagreement but in the period of one week two stangers both were reluctant to discuss their mods. The first was my friend who I work with and he refused to discuss his dyno numbers and the other was a soldier we met while at lunch and would never have the opportunity to race anyway because we were leaving town in a week, the roads still suck in Watertown, NY. We admired this guys stang and asked him to goin us for luch since he was alone. When we asked what he had done to his car he said something like thats secret. Then when my friend with the stang was checking out this forum he was shocked to see so many dyno charts and such. I went to MustangForums to check out how the stangs do and struggled to find one chart. There was no topic of "Dyno Results" like LS1Tech has.

Anyway, The race for money side makes sense. Yes there are different people in each car group some cool some jerks.
What mustang forum did you go to that didn't have a dyno/racing forum???? The 3 that I go to, in this order, modularfords, corral, and svtperf. all have racing specific categories. However, the latter two, the results are usually posted in engine specific forums. There's LOTS of times/dyno's being posted on those sites though. Honestly, in my short 6 years of searching mustang forums, I have never heard of "mustangforums"....or was that just a generalization of them?

At any rate, check out modularfords and you will find all the results you wanted, especially in model specific forums. While they do have a dyno specific forums, 99% of the results are posted in the car specific forum.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, In my short comeback to the car scene I've noticed a major difference between Mustang owners and F-Body owners. This difference revolves around showing or discussing what is under the hood of their car. I know I'm making some generalizations here that are not true 100% of the time, but it seems to me that more ofen than not Mustang owners are reluctant to tell or discuss mods, open their hoods or talk about dyno numbers. On the other hand the crew here spills their guts over the specific mods made and their gains. I would also suspect that this openness carries over to the street and track and most would open their hood if asked.

First I have to ask, is this how things are now, people keeping their cars power under raps not evening discussing mods or performance with other enthusiasts? Or, in general is the scene full of more people like F-body owners? I thought it just might be me until my Mustang owner friend said "What is up with you Camaro guys letting everyone know what your cars will do and what you have done to them".

Being the argumentitive type I told my friend it is bull crap to not discuss what is under the hood or at least open the hood. I said this gives every ricer wannabe the ability to put a spoiler and graphics on his car and claim that it is the fastest car in town. We both agree that the final test is the track, but is there really a point to hiding ones power and mods?
Many car owners (GM/Ford/Etc) aren't truthful about their mods because they want to seem like they are running incredible times for a "stock" or minimally-modded car.

In my experience (which may or may not be typical), LS1 owners are the worst offenders - maybe because it's so easy to hide some of their common big power-producing mods like mild cam/heads/stroked engine/etc...

I once ran against a guy in Kansas City (before I moved) @ KCIR.

He said ONLY his mods were:

Lid
Drag Radials
Aftermarket exhaust (no headers)

All of which I could easily see.

When I ran him, he trapped 118 - 119 mph.

So I'm guessing he had a mild cam/heads/gears at least.
None of which he mentioned BTW...

Mustangs (at least the 4.6 crowd) are WAY more limited in what they can hide.

Cams/stroker engines/head work are all just now becoming mainstream mods for the 4.6 engine & are NOT cheap yet due to cost/availability.

For example, ask (100) 4.6 Mustang owners if they have aftermarket cams in their engine.
I bet you MIGHT find one owner that's done that mod.

Now ask (100) F-body LS1 owners if they still have the stock cam.
How many will still have the stock bumpstick? 40% ? 50% ?
Same story with heads for the 4.6 vs the LS1.

Gears & nitrous are about all the (4.6) Mustang owner could hide if the hood is open,
while the LS1 guys could have 100+ over stock that isn't visible.

Who do you think would be more inclined to hold-back their true mod list???

Last edited by Angus66; 02-05-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got bolts i'll tell people that but then again everything aftermarket is a bolt on On the street its run what ya brung leave the bench racing for the bar
BTLFEDSS
Old 02-05-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BTLFEDSS
I got bolts i'll tell people that but then again everything aftermarket is a bolt on On the street its run what ya brung leave the bench racing for the bar
BTLFEDSS
I agree with you.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

angus66, true...i see your point.

But i would have to disagree in saying that since most of the f-bodies can have mods that are unnoticeable; i would think they are the ones that would be more willing to open their hoods since most of the mods are not visible. (well, unless you can tell the difference between a stock cam/aftermarket cam)

With that, wat are the typical mods on a stang. Intake, exhaust, gears, pulleys, DOHC swaps, NITROUS and a possible FI kit. Sine most of the mods on a stang are visible, (nitrous lines, bottle, blowers etc.) and the norm is to keep your mods secret on the street so to avoid hustles or exposure. (since people know your fast then they wont be as quickly hustled as someone who doesnt know your mods) than logic would tell me that a stang rider would keep their hoods closed more often than a f-bodies.

Also, i would like to say that most of the 03-04 boosted cobra owners are more willing to share their mods than a N/A modded, nitrous stang owner.

"5.8litrels1eater" and yes there are uncool people in a f-body, trust me, ive pulled up to guys in f-bodies and instead of the head nod, i get a "screw you face" and vrooommm!! off they go!!! The point is that no matter wat you drive, your personality is representative of your ride of choice with obvious exception and much needed deliberation. Those kind of f-body owners i refer to them as a "ricer" (and i hate using that word but thats the only one that comes to mind) who got smart but want to be different....(no stang)

hmmhahahahahahaha...."its all fun and games until someone 'loses' an eye!"

Search this Thread