Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Beat a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beat a WRX

Right as I merged onto the highway I see these bright blue headlights behind me. I'm thinking wtf is that? There is a bit of traffic and I was stuck in the right lane (2 lane highway) with everyone on my left passing by. I found my break right in front of the car with blue headlights..

Well he gets right on my ***, so I'm like oh yeah here we go. He's on me for about 2 miles and finally the traffic clears up, I switch to the right lane and he flys right by me, a yellow WRX! Although this wasn't an STI, it had some work done to it. Every time he shifted it blew a nice flame out the exhaust

So I pull behind him and ride his ***, throw into 3rd at about 75. He pulls over, downshifted (another nice blue flame, looked sweet cuz it was at night) and I floor it. I started to creep up and I put his front fender at my doors, shift to 4th and walk away a little better. Put him about 2 cars back by 130... that little ****** was quick!

I thought I was gonna murder him from a roll, seeing as they have AWD and all. But he did pretty good... make me wonder if he'd beat me in a 1/4 mile

Mods are - SLP Loudmouth, MAF, Smooth Bellows and Lid
01 Black Trans Am, M6
Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Many more to come when you mod it

Good race man better get some mods asap. Great race
Old 02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

dont think he'll beat in the 1320 but a few more mods, when ever possible, is a good insurance policy.

About the flames, do all WRX do this? Ive seen a black one do the same thing....is that to much fuel in the tune or un burned gases in the exhaust?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obZidian
About the flames, do all WRX do this? Ive seen a black one do the same thing....is that to much fuel in the tune or un burned gases in the exhaust?
I've seen numerous turbo cars that have done this...especially my buddies' RX7s. One of them told me it was because he had it tuned rich, but who knows...

To the original poster, nice kill. I would like to line up against one one of these days.

Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill, few years back alot of the stick 5.0 supercharged cars i saw a round shooting flames out 1 pipe now that i think about my boys old SC 2002 4.6 GT blew a couple of flames
BTLFEDSS
Old 02-07-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BTLFEDSS
Nice kill, few years back alot of the stick 5.0 supercharged cars i saw a round shooting flames out 1 pipe now that i think about my boys old SC 2002 4.6 GT blew a couple of flames
BTLFEDSS
My 5-speed procharged truck used to shoot flames between 3rd and 4th. Now that it's tuned right, it doesn't do it .
Old 02-08-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of the Supra guys do it. For a WRX to keep up would take a big turbo. My cousin has an 02 with a VF22 and I can still walk him from a roll. I know that isn't a very big turbo, he put down 285 after his tune. I was only at 16lbs. He wouldn't even try when I suggested me turning up my boost
Old 02-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Staging Lane

I think the flames happen when they take the cats off. The unburned fuel in the exhaust catches fire. I guess its because turbo cars run really rich from the factory.