Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a Cam'd Intercooled + Boost Evo

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran a Cam'd Intercooled + Boost Evo

Damn its been a long time since I have made a kill post since my solid roller 83 mustang has been down but I have since purchased a 95 Cobra that is stock with a 100 Dry shot on it and I had a pretty good race last night with a Evo. We were having a little GTG at my house with some friends and a guy comes up in this nice stock White EVO, I promply went out and checked it out since I have never been in a evo and it was a nice car, well a friend of mine with a bone stock 99 vette wants to run him so we headed out to the spot and my friend in the vette handed it to him from a stop, from a roll, whatever he wanted to run from the vette pulled him by a few cars each run.

After the race we meet up at a coffee shop and the guy in the White EVO tells us his friends got a modded one thats pretty fast, (said he pulled a 500rwhp 03 cobra "bullshit") but the guy had to work till midnight so we said **** it and went back to my place but another friend of mine hung around up there at the coffee shop, about 15 mins after we get home the guy in the fast evo says he wanted to run my car, which I wasnt even thinking about running cause its nowhere near as fast as my old 83 but I said what the ****, bolted on my prostars with BFG Dr's and went out there to run him, the first race we ran from a real low punch, I dumped the clutch and got a little spin and he pulled my by about 1/2 a car and kept that 1/2 car all the way to 130, next race I hooked right up got him by 1/2 a car then pulled past him about 130 once he went into 5th is when I yanked him up top. I was very suprised, I thought I was going to get it handed to me with all the crap he had on the evo, said it dynoed 340awhp. T70 turbo will be in in about 3 weeks that will be fun
Old 02-20-2005, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

How would you like your rice cooked? Chicken fried rice? Shrimp fried rice? White rice?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mach1
Damn its been a long time since I have made a kill post since my solid roller 83 mustang has been down but I have since purchased a 95 Cobra that is stock with a 100 Dry shot on it and I had a pretty good race last night with a Evo. We were having a little GTG at my house with some friends and a guy comes up in this nice stock White EVO, I promply went out and checked it out since I have never been in a evo and it was a nice car, well a friend of mine with a bone stock 99 vette wants to run him so we headed out to the spot and my friend in the vette handed it to him from a stop, from a roll, whatever he wanted to run from the vette pulled him by a few cars each run.

After the race we meet up at a coffee shop and the guy in the White EVO tells us his friends got a modded one thats pretty fast, (said he pulled a 500rwhp 03 cobra "bullshit") but the guy had to work till midnight so we said **** it and went back to my place but another friend of mine hung around up there at the coffee shop, about 15 mins after we get home the guy in the fast evo says he wanted to run my car, which I wasnt even thinking about running cause its nowhere near as fast as my old 83 but I said what the ****, bolted on my prostars with BFG Dr's and went out there to run him, the first race we ran from a real low punch, I dumped the clutch and got a little spin and he pulled my by about 1/2 a car and kept that 1/2 car all the way to 130, next race I hooked right up got him by 1/2 a car then pulled past him about 130 once he went into 5th is when I yanked him up top. I was very suprised, I thought I was going to get it handed to me with all the crap he had on the evo, said it dynoed 340awhp. T70 turbo will be in in about 3 weeks that will be fun
On the STI and I belive the EVOs the ECU will pull boost at top end so you wont blow the motor. My friends STI will go to 17-18 lbs mid gear and fall off on teh top of the RPM? They will have to have a boost Cont. to keep the ECU from doing that
Old 02-20-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

The modded STIs and EVOs are getting handled daily on this side (west side)
Nice kill!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

The AWD hurst them as speeds increase. They sure are tough from stoplight to stoplight though.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I think apart of the problem with these guys is they couldnt launch their Evo's and I had some BFG DR's so I didnt have too much of a traction problem like most people would racing one of them. I asked the guy with the faster one to go from a stop and he gave me this, oh its my first 5 speed and I dont want to break anything, you gotta pay to play/win so he should have jumped all over that offer...
Old 02-21-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is kinda strange I only know of a handfull of dyno's that are all wheel drive and none of them are in TX. sorry but I would call his bluff and tell him to show you the dyno sheet.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

was it white pearl paint,blue graphics on the side w/ cf hood???
Old 02-22-2005, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Alamo in Arlington, TX is the local AWD dyno, big time DSM guys there.

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
was it white pearl paint,blue graphics on the side w/ cf hood???
Nah it was all blue, stock paint job.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet. that would be a good benifit if I only had an AWD vehicle. cool that they have one though.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Good Kill man.. I need to go out and do some racing pretty soon.. I'm going to get my car dyno tuned on Sat.. At HPP.. Its running very lean right now from that JLT RAI I put on there a few weeks ago..
Old 02-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Nice kill!

Shane
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Good kill man!
Old 02-23-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

nice kill...

but i know of two EVOs that make more whp with stock cams and stock intercooler. all it takes is a turbo back exhaust, boost controller and tuning.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mulletwearingtadrive
nice kill...

but i know of two EVOs that make more whp with stock cams and stock intercooler. all it takes is a turbo back exhaust, boost controller and tuning.
He's got 3" exhaust but im not sure if it goes all the way to the turbo and a boost controller, not sure on the tuning. Dont the Evo's come almost maxed out boost wise from the factory?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Teching In

The Evo's stock will spike to 19 and tapper down to around 16psi by 6000rpm, but as far as beening maxed out from the factory that is not true. Just with a boost controller holding that 19-20 psi till redline will make a pretty big difference. On race gas the stock turbo can be run up to 26lbs or so, but it will fall off in the higher rpm as the turbo can't keep up with the cfm flow of the head.

He's got 3" exhaust but im not sure if it goes all the way to the turbo and a boost controller, not sure on the tuning. Dont the Evo's come almost maxed out boost wise from the factory?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Stock internals can handle 30psi of boost, stock turbo won't ,it will spike then taper down to about 22 at redline. By the way you shift into 4th @ 118 on Evo unless you have headwork done. You know what cam combo he was running?

Shane
Old 02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99badta
Stock internals can handle 30psi of boost, stock turbo won't ,it will spike then taper down to about 22 at redline. By the way you shift into 4th @ 118 on Evo unless you have headwork done. You know what cam combo he was running?

Shane
Stock internals can handle more than 30psi of boost, it depends on cylinder pressure, and lack of knock. I would consider low 500 whp to be pushing the stock bottom end to the edge. I know you aren't shifting into 4th gear at 118mph in that Evo, that's closer to the top of 4th going into 5th.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cosmo44
Stock internals can handle more than 30psi of boost, it depends on cylinder pressure, and lack of knock. I would consider low 500 whp to be pushing the stock bottom end to the edge. I know you aren't shifting into 4th gear at 118mph in that Evo, that's closer to the top of 4th going into 5th.

Oops mistyped that, u r correct into 5th at about 118-120 . Well I have done alot of talkin to alot of tuners 500-530 on stock is absolute max. Anything over 500 is up there if one thing hiccups its bye bye motor. Coming from both AMS and Turbo Trix. What I mean is to safely push over 500awhp with no worries you want to build the bottom end, not saying on stock internals it hasn't happened, just not recommended. None of these guys recommends anything over 30 psi on stock internals.

Shane
Old 02-26-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I most definately wouldn't push more than a few pounds over stock boost on the stock turbo race gas or not. The friction buildup inside the stock turbo is so high and heat would get so bad in it you'd risk melting those blades to the inside of the housing. Of course it's not my car do what you like to it. Oh and good kill for the stang.

Last edited by King02SS; 02-26-2005 at 08:06 PM.