Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Death by Whipplecharged Cobra last night...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Death by Whipplecharged Cobra last night...

The owner of the car happened to be a member of the forums, gnxs. I was heading home from work and I noticed a black 03-04 Cobra behind me as we traveled east on ogden ave. in naperville. Looking at his car, I kinda got the idea I was gonna get beat, what with the triple A-pillar gauge set and the big *** nitto 555r's he had on the back...

We both threw it in 2nd and held at maybe a 45 roll, I gave the 3 honks and he walked away from me like I put it in reverse. We drove through Lisle towards Downers Grove, still on Ogden, and then we paced again, this time at 30 or so, and I honked and again I got smoked through 2nd into 3rd, but he missed 3rd, so I overtook him, which I don't really count as a win bc I was being walked on. Oh, well... We stopped and talked, turns out the car is Whipplecharged with boltons running 14psi, I think, and trapping in the low 120's.

Larry was a cool guy and we had some fun even though I got beat up on... At least it gives me more incentive to get faster!!!

I guess now I have a good black Cobra death to go with my black Cobra kill of a few weeks ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/288038-killed-black-snake-roll-starting-year-off-right.html
Old 03-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baddogz28
The owner of the car happened to be a member of the forums, gnxs. I was heading home from work and I noticed a black 03-04 Cobra behind me as we traveled east on ogden ave. in naperville. Looking at his car, I kinda got the idea I was gonna get beat, what with the triple A-pillar gauge set and the big *** nitto 555r's he had on the back...

We both threw it in 2nd and held at maybe a 45 roll, I gave the 3 honks and he walked away from me like I put it in reverse. We drove through Lisle towards Downers Grove, still on Ogden, and then we paced again, this time at 30 or so, and I honked and again I got smoked through 2nd into 3rd, but he missed 3rd, so I overtook him, which I don't really count as a win bc I was being walked on. Oh, well... We stopped and talked, turns out the car is Whipplecharged with boltons running 14psi, I think, and trapping in the low 120's.

Larry was a cool guy and we had some fun even though I got beat up on... At least it gives me more incentive to get faster!!!

I guess now I have a good black Cobra death to go with my black Cobra kill of a few weeks ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288038
Thanks Chris, it was fun. I must say you're the fastest pure bolt-on only LS1 I've come across. Later on I came upon a bolt-on automatic LS1 on 355 that wasn't anywhere near as strong as your car. I can easily see why you pull on stock (or lightly modded) "Terminators".

FYI, the trap speed you mentioned for me was on the Eaton setup as I haven't run it at the track with the Whipple. When I do, I'll run it with at least 16 psi, maybe even 18 psi.

I agree with you on "getting beat up as incentive to get faster". I'm sure the next time I get smoked will provoke me to make the smaller pulley a permanent fixture on my car.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm a GN and an 03 Cobra. Nice.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
Hmmm a GN and an 03 Cobra. Nice.
Yeah, sounds like fun.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnxs
Thanks Chris, it was fun. I must say you're the fastest pure bolt-on only LS1 I've come across. Later on I came upon a bolt-on automatic LS1 on 355 that wasn't anywhere near as strong as your car. I can easily see why you pull on stock (or lightly modded) "Terminators".

FYI, the trap speed you mentioned for me was on the Eaton setup as I haven't run it at the track with the Whipple. When I do, I'll run it with at least 16 psi, maybe even 18 psi.

I agree with you on "getting beat up as incentive to get faster". I'm sure the next time I get smoked will provoke me to make the smaller pulley a permanent fixture on my car.
I appreciate that, that's high praise man. Looks like you had mine for dinner and his for dessert, huh?

I would also like to add that when I said last night that you dyno "what, mid 400's?" I'm guessing that I was about 100 hp off, that sound about right?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Nice story, nice death and nice kill, seeing all members of this race are here. This is one of the better Cobra stories I have heard, because it hasn't gone on 30 pages of Cobra vs Camaro.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

I would also like to add that when I said last night that you dyno "what, mid 400's?" I'm guessing that I was about 100 hp off, that sound about right?
Not with the pulley I had on last night, but with the 16 psi pulley - yes. Hopefully I get the 18 psi pulley before Saturday's dyno day.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whipple = the silent killer.

Nice runs guys.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks fellas. It's always fun to BS with a member of the best board on the net.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Very nice run,
Id love to check out gnxs, GN and Cobra...
Old 03-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Joegt38
Very nice run,
Id love to check out gnxs, GN and Cobra...
We'll be at Sutton Ford for a Dyno Day tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, can't wait to see that dyno. It's good to see competition sharing information, but most importantly, friendly.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

The dealership has a dyno? Cool.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Nice run guys, nice toys as well. There aren't any Whipple cars out here yet that I know of. Soon to be a TT Cobra though, not mine unfortunately.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Love to see that, wheres the Sutton Ford and what time?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

The dealership has a dyno? Cool.
Chris,

Sutton Performance is the "racing" arm of Sutton Ford. They have their own dyno facilities and do their own tuning, performance work, etc.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288038

I had a run in at Commerce with a Cobra trapping 120. Real cool guy (SCSVT on SVTperformance). I would get him off the line, but after the 1/8 I just heard that sweet sound of the supercharger and he would walk past me. That's actually the guy who ran me when I ran that time in my sig. He ran 12.6@119.6
Old 03-26-2005, 04:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awsome. Whats the best part is respect for both cars. As you can see in my sig I own both Chevrolet and Ford. as does gnxs. I also owned a 03 SB cobra.
I get so sick of hearing Chevrolet and Ford guys fight. Why not fight with the ricer crowd instead. Dont get me wrong there is some cool ricer guys, but not many.