Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Blew my motor ... :o(

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:22 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blew my motor ... :o(

Yeah, so I was driving normally home from the bar at ~3am on friday night, and downshifted to slow for a light, and BOOM. Car starts idling real funny, doing funky stuff, smells like gas, etc. So I limp the car the other mile home, and look at it the next day. It seemed like it was just missing, possibly in 2 cylinders, but there was no metal noises or anything, so I figured maybe it was some fouled plugs from my oil problem a month or two ago. The next day I get in it to take it the 10 miles down to my shop so I can aTap it and see what cylinders are missing.

On the way to the shop, a little POS civic hatch is playin along side of me. Definately has a turbo and some other ****, and is pretty loud. He rolls down his window and starts talkin smack ... like, a lot of smack.

So strongly believing that it is just a fouled plug or two, I'm thinkin to myself, I'm gonna fug this guy up on 6 cylinders. He takes off, and hangs for a second, then I start pulling pretty hard ... laughing and misfiring the whole way.

Get to the shop and toss it on the machine, atap says there are NO misfires (wtf?!) ... So I take out the plugs, not fouled. At this point I'm real confused. I take off the valve covers and notice the inner part of the dual springs on 2 cylinders are f'd up. Pull the heads and the pistons are all marked up, & the 2 intake valves are sideways in the ports .... pretty much f'd it up good. So I'm guessing that first bang was blowing up two valves, and then the drive to the shop probably caused the broken valves to get wedged up into the head nice and tight. So basically, I beat his *** with a 6 cylinder, dragging 2 pistons, and with 2 open intake ports.

Anyways, extended warranty is giving me some money, and the rest is coming from my pocket = new engine.

Settled on a forged 402 ci LS2 stroker ... stage 3 heads ... big cam .... and some juice later on down the road. Lookin at 500rwhp n/a pretty easily, hoping for 550ish.

Even tho this is costing me a few G's .... I'm sure in a month or so I'll be quite happy about this whole situation. I even updated my sig a few minutes ago ...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry and happy to here that. You sure did teach that punk a leasson though.

i also blew my motor in november and got a good deal on a new motor...

congrates again..

good luck, keep us posted
Old 04-27-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

sometimes it really bugs me u will find only ricers....and not alwyas turboed ricers who wanna race...but when u see a ls1 or lt1 or a muscle car they never wanna race....good job on the rice lesson sorry about the motor...hope it all works out..post pics when ur all done
Old 04-27-2005, 04:30 AM
9 Second Club

Sorry to hear man,Chevy motors dont die they just go to a better place.It went out doing the planet a great service showing the rice rockets were they belong.I know you have been to eastside before but I would highly recommend them for your car.Phantom or Mike hopefully I got that right if there is anything I can do to lend a hand let me know.My email is chevyiron@hotmail.com

David
Old 04-27-2005, 07:52 AM
STF Veteran

Well, at least you're gonna improve the car. That 402 ought to run a lot stronger. I believe traction will be a thing of the past with all that torque and hp. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're gonna have a killer setup. Thank the ricer.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha, thats great and sad in a way, nice handicapped kill
Old 04-27-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn it, people are dropping like flies around these parts. Sorry to hear that man.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

i was waiting mike for you to make this thread! Hell i was the first one to know about this ****

good luck with the 402, and i have a few cam suggestions i want to throw your way a little later today
Old 04-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

**** Mike...sorry to hear about the motor letting go. Definitely sucks, but the new one is going to rock.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

nice kill, good luck on the new set up.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:53 PM
STF Veteran

Damn man that suxs to hear, but dont fell to bad i dropped the motor in the stang about a month or so ago racing a buddy of mine in his cobra...can we say totaly trashed but any way... i have a new project...ask ben he knows...but all im gona say now is LS1...muuuhahahahahah
Old 04-27-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BigBronco
i was waiting mike for you to make this thread! Hell i was the first one to know about this ****

good luck with the 402, and i have a few cam suggestions i want to throw your way a little later today

Yeah that's cool gray toss them over. I think I have pretty much made up my mind of which one is going in, but I would def. be open for some suggestions from someone who has had some more experience with bigger ci. motors than I have.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Justin ... LS1, in a cobra?! thats some twilight zones ****...
Old 04-27-2005, 03:01 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Justin ... LS1, in a cobra?! thats some twilight zones ****...
hehehe
Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

jesus christ, Justin is posting!?!?!? the world must be coming to an end or something.

And about time you are modding the cars up after the nitrous back fire and blower removal incident
Old 04-27-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

hey man that sux that you blew your motor. Although its not realy funny blowing your motor, i did find it really funny the coincidence that you raced that ricer, and smoked him with only 6 cylinders while knowing your ******* up your motor. Good luck with the new motor.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by WS6T/A98
hey man that sux that you blew your motor. Although its not realy funny blowing your motor, i did find it really funny the coincidence that you raced that ricer, and smoked him with only 6 cylinders while knowing your ******* up your motor. Good luck with the new motor.

Haha, we'll I didn't know I was ******* it up at that time. I thought I had some fouled plugs and was missing because of that. Funny either way, cause I am going to end up with another ~100rwhp n/a, and still be able to spray it. Should be interesting.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:33 PM
STF Veteran

******* great kill. Sorry to hear about the motor going . The new setup's going to be killer.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

me and mike have traded off some good setups.. i believe it is going to make some power

Old 04-28-2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigBronco
me and mike have traded off some good setups.. i believe it is going to make some power
You mean that you approved the one I picked...