Z28 M6 Vs WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 M6 Vs WRX STi

My Car: 99 z28 m6 stock except for borla exhaust
WRX: Completey stock, manual as well

Racing this weekend at a local track, best of 3 runs for 100 bucks (it is me vs a good buddy)

What are you guys bets? Do i stand a chance?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a section of the forum for these threads, and I don't think it's this one.

My bet: If you can drive and hit a 2.0-2.1 60', and he is totally stock, you should win.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cr0y
My Car: 99 z28 m6 stock except for borla exhaust
WRX: Completey stock, manual as well

Racing this weekend at a local track, best of 3 runs for 100 bucks (it is me vs a good buddy)

What are you guys bets? Do i stand a chance?

i pretty much have the same car and from my experience with a pretty heavily modded WRX, i came to the conclusion that you have to launch fairly well on them cuz they launch very well. but if u dont launch well, i think you will pass him up at the very end like i did. so my money says you'll win.

so launch well and dont miss any gears and you'll be bankin'!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:26 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you positive he is stock?

if he's done any homework at all he should know his chances for winning arent very good

take off your front swaybar, it will help you move out of the hole a little better, and it's free
Old 05-08-2005, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

It wouldn't be a bad idea to take that swaybar off. I took mine off last summer and never put it back. Free mods and some quick weight reduction couldn't hurt either.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Restricted User

I had a nice post here about why you have nothing to worry about with a stock WRX. Then I noticed you said STI.

I belong to a Subaru forum also (gf has one), and the concensus is, it's all in the launch. If you stay with him or get the jump on him off the line, you own him.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny you ask... just raced a STi this weekend. My car is comepletely stock except for an airlid and the Fernco mod. He told me that all he had was a downpipe, a catback and some kind of tuner(ing?).

We went twice from a dig...first time we went I stayed with him dead even on the launch and just put space on him the whole way until sometime in 4th gear when I stopped and I had two cars on him.

He says "I got a shitty launch...lets go again" I say alright then he does I dont know WTF..starts configuring something in his dash while he revs the **** out of his car. He then says confidently Alright, Lets go."

This time he gets a better launch and immediately puts his fart pipe just in front of my front bumper; I still evened it back out by the end of first, then proceeded to put even more space on him.

Cliffs notes: Race him, you will probably win if you know how to drive.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

well my firehawk is stock except for a flowmaster muffler that the previous owner put on there and a k&n filter. so I probably have a wopping 5 more hp. I've raced 2 sti's. dont blister the tires on launch (I know its hard). By doing this i caught up to a stock one and ended up takin him. another guy who has several mods. he has upper and lower manifolds, exhaust, and a BOV. He may have more but I know he has that much. if he doesnt spray (which he would...lol) that guy would only beat me by a car or so. I know you have a bit less hp than I do stock. and it depends a lot on the shiftin but I agree with everyone else about launches.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get some Drag Radials and that will guarantee victory if he is stock and you are stock!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:40 AM
11 Second Club

Don"t forget to lower the tire presure in your rear tires.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:23 AM
12 Second Club

Pretty much a driver's race.

My buddy was getting consistent 13.4's out of a bone stock one(temp dealer tag still on it lol) but he was still learning how to drive/launch the thing.

If you can get a good launch your chances are very good
Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Teching In

I think the people that are saying it depends on the launch are right. I ran into one on the street about a week ago and it was a close race. It was a roll from 40 to about 90 or 95 and then i shut down, I was only able to pull about half a car on him. All I have is a lid and catback, I dont know if he was modded or not.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

dont spin off the line and you got him

youd probly get better responces if you posted in the street racing section
Old 05-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

last time i went to the track and there were a bunch of STi's they all ran 13.8 they were all bitches that didnt rev it up and slip it up at the line... you should have no prob dude.. just rev er up to about 2300 at the line.. and flat foot it when it goes green.. i get 2.0 60 foots on a stock ss
Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone else says it's a totally drivers race. Stock vs. stock it's a toss up and even with your exhaust, it's not enought to just say you'd win. Dependiong how long he has had his car/how well he shifts it'll be a good race. I was horrible for the first few times I was at the track. Now I feel MUCH more comfortable driving my car around.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure to keep your car cool... don’t idle a long time in the staging lanes...

hotlaping is also going to help you... what I mean is run; then go right back in the lanes and run again.

More gas in your tank may also help get you off the line a little faster... 1/4 tank at least... more will help but might slow you down on the big end.

Also watch some races before you run and see what lane seems to be hooking best... and run on that one

When you stage... roll into the light a little more... this will help your reaction time... depending on the tree hit the gas the sec you see the last amber light up. That’s if the light goes 1 2 3 green…

You should have no problems winning... I have seen stock mustangs keep up with a STi. What ever you do don’t pay attention what he is doing… just image him not even next to you… oh and do what everyone else said in this thread.

Post back with the results!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nitto 555r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
Nitto 555r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually when I ran them on my car a few years ago when it was basically stock I bogged off the line. They might make it hard to spin too much, but they usually bog. A good driver with good standard radials might do better, and I have an A4 so I don't know how the M6 would take it.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by '02 WS/6
He says "I got a shitty launch...lets go again" I say alright then he does I dont know WTF..starts configuring something in his dash while he revs the **** out of his car. He then says confidently Alright, Lets go."
He was probably adjusting his electronic boost controller...
Old 05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

If he can drive, he'll rip you out of the hole for sure. If you find yourself staying even with him on the 60', he's a **** driver. It's up to you to catch him through the rest of the quarter if he lays down a 1.7 or 1.8 60'.