Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

478rwhp '03 Cobra goes down

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 478rwhp '03 Cobra goes down

i raced a beautiful blue '03 cobra with my SS the other day. I have all the bolt-ons short of tuning and TNT 150 wet shot. We raced from about 40-140 a bunch of times and i beat him by about 3-5 cars. That was definetely a strong running car and he said he had never been beat before. The mods he told me he had were air intake, borla stingers, different pulley (14lbs) and intercooler, and tuning. He also said it dynoed 478rwhp and when it was all stock it ran 12.6 @ 113. My car puts down 350 rwhp NA and ive never had it to the dyno with the 150 but ill bet its about 500rwhp. We talked to the guy after the race and he was very nice and he wouldnt even try racing my buddies 02 zo6 with headers on the hose after he saw what my car did to him. I think i got the guy in the cobra talked into putting a 40 shot of nitrous on his car now. The worst enemy for my car is the stock clutch because it sticks to the floor on the nitrous runs even on the street. Just thought id share because i have been dying to race a modded cobra.... im just glad he didnt have anymore mods because i would have been in trouble if he was running a few more pounds of boost.

Erik
Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Nice kill. I haven't had the opportunity to run a modded spraying LS-1 yet but the result sounds about right without a driver mod.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good kill. I know what you mean when you say the stock clutch will stick to the floor with the hose. Time for an upgrade.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Talking

Nice kill, with the weight advantage and a TNT 150, your story sounds perfectly legit to me. Id say you are easily over 500RWHP. My bud with heads cam and the TNT150 makes over 620rwhp...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
I haven't had the opportunity to run a modded spraying LS-1 yet...
I have. The sause didn't help him all that much apparently.

Nice run / kill!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by unit213

Nice run / kill!
I reckon you're pushing just a tad more than I am. Of course, if he (my competitor) can't get it to the ground, what use is it? I can get every pony to the pavement in every gear and no freakin' hop with my current setup. I've raced better power to weight ratio cars and cars with more HP and haven't been beat yet with my current config.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!!

My buddy with the '04 Snake just got his X-pipe and catback and I've added the LT's and ORY since our last run, we need to line it up again
Old 05-11-2005, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213

Nice run / kill!

Do you ever lose ?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

One day he will. There is always someone bigger, faster, stronger, etc. out there. Not talking **** but that is just the way it works. Thank God I've never raced a '03+ Cobra because I know I'd get my *** handed to me very badly. But then again, the Cobra owner didn't pay $5,000 for his car either. Just imagine what my little LT1 could do if I had $15,000 or $20,000 to mod it with. Hell, that would still be well under the price of a Cobra wouldn't it? I guess its not really what car you have, whether it be a Cobra, LS1, LT1, etc., its how much money you have to put into the car.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FLeXNuTZ
the Cobra owner didn't pay $5,000 for his car either. Just imagine what my little LT1 could do if I had $15,000 or $20,000 to mod it with. Hell, that would still be well under the price of a Cobra wouldn't it?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

SSpeedracer, what was that for? Last time I checked the Cobras were at least $25,000 cars. Considering the sometimes extreme LT1 negativity on this board I just thought I'd point out that while they aren't as fast as the newer cars, they are a hell of a bang for the buck. And IF an LT1 owner had an extra $15,000+ to mod his car with, would it not be faster than an LS1 or '03+ Cobra? Or even certain crotch rockets for that matter? I doubt you'd want to race me in your LS1 if I had $15,000 into my LT1 which is paid for, while you are more than likely still making payments on yours. So right back at you for spending all that money on a car that closely resembles a catfish.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Launching!

SSpeedracer, what was that for? Last time I checked the Cobras were at least $25,000 cars. Considering the sometimes extreme LT1 negativity on this board I just thought I'd point out that while they aren't as fast as the newer cars, they are a hell of a bang for the buck. And IF an LT1 owner had an extra $15,000+ to mod his car with, would it not be faster than an LS1 or '03+ Cobra? Or even certain crotch rockets for that matter? I doubt you'd want to race me in your LS1 if I had $15,000 into my LT1 which is paid for, while you are more than likely still making payments on yours. So right back at you for spending all that money on a car that closely resembles a catfish.
WhOoaA...so your gonna talk **** about the LS1 (SS) huh...well its to bad you got that lil **** of yours. Can't get the all mighty LS1 over the LT1 huh?? Closely resembles a cat fish, but it still looks a hell of a lot better than yours (LT1). You keep saying IF, but if is pretty big now days. Its to bad you don't have the money to get a 03/04 cobra or even a LS1...IF only huh..

Last edited by SSmoked99; 05-12-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm 22 and haven't had everything handed to me, I've had to earn it. Eventually I'll be able to buy a Corvette or whatever I want but the difference between us will be that I'm not an *******. I actually respect people and their cars, regardless of cost. If someone has a $5000 Camaro with $5000 in mods that will beat a Viper then they're okay in my eyes. I took a poll a while back that favored the LT1 SS over the LS1 SS based on unbiased opinions from non-fbody owners via a Yahoo! chatroom. Out of the 120 asked, 87 liked the LT1 SS better and 33 liked the LS1 SS better. 2 responded that the LS1 SS looked somewhat like a catfish. They said all it needed was those curb warning wires that stick out from the fenders for the "whisker" effect.

FYI, the poll I took made me decide to just fix my car with the stock components rather than updating the look to '98+. Wouldn't want people thinking I drive a catfish, lol.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Play nice boys....
Old 05-12-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

No, let them fight. Fighting is healthy.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 22 and haven't had everything handed to me, I've had to earn it. Eventually I'll be able to buy a Corvette or whatever I want but the difference between us will be that I'm not an *******. I actually respect people and their cars, regardless of cost. If someone has a $5000 Camaro with $5000 in mods that will beat a Viper then they're okay in my eyes. I took a poll a while back that favored the LT1 SS over the LS1 SS based on unbiased opinions from non-fbody owners via a Yahoo! chatroom. Out of the 120 asked, 87 liked the LT1 SS better and 33 liked the LS1 SS better. 2 responded that the LS1 SS looked somewhat like a catfish. They said all it needed was those curb warning wires that stick out from the fenders for the "whisker" effect.

FYI, the poll I took made me decide to just fix my car with the stock components rather than updating the look to '98+. Wouldn't want people thinking I drive a catfish, lol.
FWIW, you're arguing ricer style. "I bought my Civic for $2000, with $12000 it could smoke your LS1 for the same amount of money you spent to buy it". Point being that the car DOESN'T have $12000 in it, and is still slow.

In other words, nobody cares what your LT1 could do with $15k in it because in it's current state it doesn't outperform a Cobra. And that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by Shackleford
No, let them fight. Fighting is healthy.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm through fighting. I shouldn't have even started, considering that this is a LS1 based site. There isn't much respect for the LT1 here on this board and that irritates me a little bit. Its not like its a damn Pinto or Yugo. I apologize for the rants.

Back to the topic: a bolt-on, 150 shot LS1 is pretty damn fast and is obviously competitive with a lightly modded Cobra. I'm not sure what unit213 has done to his car but it is obviously a lot to be able to take a car that is lighter and has around 500 rwhp on the spray.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vendetta
FWIW, you're arguing ricer style. "I bought my Civic for $2000, with $12000 it could smoke your LS1 for the same amount of money you spent to buy it". Point being that the car DOESN'T have $12000 in it, and is still slow.

In other words, nobody cares what your LT1 could do with $15k in it because in it's current state it doesn't outperform a Cobra. And that's all that matters.

You're right, I'm sorry. However, I'll eventually be able to back that statement up if I can ever get through with school, lol.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Well it might look like a cat fish, but its a fine one at that. It can also blow your ****. Don't be mad that you can't touch the LS1 or the 03/04 cobra. No one cares if you got **** handed to you or not cuz you know if it was like that you wouldn't care, you would just love to have **** handed to you too. Who cares about how many people like the Lt1's over the LS1's. Point is that the LS1's are superior over those ugly LT1's and so is the 03/04 cobras
Old 05-12-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSmoked99
Well it might look like a cat fish, but its a fine one at that. It can also blow your ****. Don't be mad that you can't touch the LS1 or the 03/04 cobra. No one cares if you got **** handed to you or not cuz you know if it was like that you wouldn't care, you would just love to have **** handed to you too. Who cares about how many people like the Lt1's over the LS1's. Point is that the LS1's are superior over those ugly LT1's and so is the 03/04 cobras
The fastest F-Body is a LT1. Does that still make the LS1 "superior"? Oh, but I am sure you mean stock.