Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My SS vs. Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My SS vs. Mach 1

I was driving/cruising around looking for fight and finally I see a Mach 1 pull a U and get on my *** so I immediately accept the challenge and get in a lane over so that we were side by side. Having great luck the light ahead turned red so I slam on my brakes so that we get a perfectly even chance at this. He rolls down the window and says "I always wondered what I would do against an SS" and I asked him if he wanted to find out. Turns green right when i turn back to look at the street from talking to him. He goes and gets the jump before me and then I go and we go till about 60 mph and it then was dead even. We go again from a 10 mph roll to 60 again (because of traffic couldn't go any faster) and I get half car on him. He claims he had 4.10's, tuning, and exhaust, should I have beat him worse? or Mach 1's faster than I thought? My car is pretty much stock but I haven't had a NA mustang keep up that well? So did I do okay or do I need to improve my driving skills? I basically don't know how that race should have went (should I have done better against him or am I on par)?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What are your mods? If your completely stock, or only a lid/catback away he should have honestly had you. Especially from that low of a speed.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Teching In

My friends 2000 SS A4 with lid runs close to my MAch 1, but I have a chip and H pipe. No gears yet, so I would say your car did well.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Teching In

good job, to me thats how it should be but i dont drive an ls1 just my friends do. and im wondering if this will turn into another 8 page thread? i hope so those are great!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good Job. Either you are a better driver than you think or the guy in the Mach could not row the gears as well. Those cars are real close stock to stock so if he had gears, tune and exhaust you did very well.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering these Mach's are rated at 320hp from a 4.6L DOHC 32v mod V8, why are they so much quicker than the older 96-98 Cobra's when they were rated the same 320hp from the same motor?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VTC_WS6
Considering these Mach's are rated at 320hp from a 4.6L DOHC 32v mod V8, why are they so much quicker than the older 96-98 Cobra's when they were rated the same 320hp from the same motor?
We've gone over this on a local board. It's not the same motor.

Good kill because you did damn good. Mach's are quick.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTC_WS6
It's the same engine as the GT's, just DOHC which gives it 40 more HP. They're running 305 hp...not at the wheels...probably more like 270 or so. Your SS, even stock should be at about 305 at the wheels. With a few mods, he could beat you maybe, but based on what he stated he car had, great kill...you deserved it! I raced one on the highway in DFW...my car was bone stock...his was definitely not just by the sound of it. We rolled at about 55mph, and I took him for a run, but then traffic slowed us down. When we got in the clear, at 65, i downshifted into 3rd and waited to see what he would do. He pulled next to me, then floored it without warning. I did the same and stayed right with him. When I hit 4th around 95mph, I started to catch up to him...(his bumper was about 10ft in front of mine) At 110 I was passing him but I had to exit the highway. Long story short, he got the jump on me (not fair), but I still caught up to him and it was even at the end when I left off the gas.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
It's the same engine as the GT's, just DOHC which gives it 40 more HP. They're running 305 hp...not at the wheels...probably more like 270 or so. Your SS, even stock should be at about 305 at the wheels.
How do you figure they are the same motor as a GT just with DOHC's There is nothing about this motor that is the same as the GT's.. That statement was gay... And yes our Machs are Rated at only 305 hp at the fly, But do you really thing that is what these cars put down.. If you do your very mistaken.. Ford under rated the Machs.. Mine bone stock 0 mods at all put down 289.9rwhp and 311.0 rwtq... You can do the math on that since there is a 15% drive train loss.. I'll go ahead and do it for you that comes out to 332 fwhp.. just a little bit under rated wouldn't you think..
If you ever want to run I'm in Arlington and go to K-Dale all the time..

BTW Chase_Z28 you did very well against that Mach if he had Gears, Exhaust, and tune... When my car only had and O/R X, Catback, 4.10's drop in k&n filter, and 17 ET Streets I was running constant 12.25's at a little over 110 mph.. Stock suspention, and tune... I have alot more mods now and its alot more powerfull now but I haven't gone to the track to get any new times... I will this fall once it cools down some... So great job, If you ever get a chance go to around 110 and see what the out come is.. I would like to know.. I know my car pulls real hard on the upper end..
Old 05-19-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

This topic has been beaten to death. Mach 1 vs. LS1 stock for stock is a drivers race and that's pretty much all there is too it.

Dan03mach: That's a very nice ET for the mods you have done, your trap speed will probably leave you a bit closer to some cars in roll races that you would kill at the track. What kind of 60' do you pull?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by LoPeY
This topic has been beaten to death. Mach 1 vs. LS1 stock for stock is a drivers race and that's pretty much all there is too it.

Dan03mach: That's a very nice ET for the mods you have done, your trap speed will probably leave you a bit closer to some cars in roll races that you would kill at the track. What kind of 60' do you pull?
Yes the topic has been beaten to death but I still like to read them and inform some people that really don't know too much about these cars and what they do.. I really do like the LS1's though, they are great cars and almost all my friends drive them.. I'm the odd ball that has a mustang..

But my 60ft's are usually very low 1.6's still on the 100% stock suspention, I have added alot more modds since the times I ran above... I have put in a set of Hooker Longtubes, Ram 900 Dual friction clutch, TKO 500 tranny, JLT CAI, Tune, Weld draglites Big and littles with 26x10x15 ET Drags.. I have also upgraded my rearend by putting in Moser 31 spline axles and ford 31 spline differential.. Weld in Axle tube braces so I don't bend my rearend.. I am also putting in a 31 spline detroit locker here in a few weeks to make sure the rear don't break.. I have already gone through 3 of those Ford 31 spline truck carriers.. Bent the flang on 2 of them and broken the spider gears on 2 also.. They are weak and can't take any hard launches...

I haven't ran it at the track since I put in all of these new mods to find out what times it will run but I'm pretty sure that 11.9's are in my future.. And it wouldn't surprise me if I trap anywere around 113-115 mph..

Last edited by dan03mach; 05-19-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dan03mach
I have put in a set of Hooker Longtubes, Ram 900 Dual friction clutch, TKO 500 tranny, JLT CAI, Tune, Weld draglites Big and littles with 26x10x15 ET Drags.. I have also upgraded my rearend by putting in Moser 31 spline axles and ford 31 spline differential.. Weld in Axle tube braces so I don't bend my rearend.. I am also putting in a 31 spline detroit locker here in a few weeks to make sure the rear don't break.. I have already gone through 3 of those Ford 31 spline truck carriers.. Bent the flang on 2 of them and broken the spider gears on 2 also.. They are weak and can't take any hard launches...

I haven't ran it at the track since I put in all of these new mods to find out what times it will run but I'm pretty sure that 11.9's are in my future.. And it wouldn't surprise me if I trap anywere around 113-115 mph..
Can't wait to hear your new times with the additional go-fast goodies...
Old 05-21-2005, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Good lord, 1.6's that is very good. I think that size of tire will fit my car. Maybe I should get rid of the nittos.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
It's the same engine as the GT's, just DOHC which gives it 40 more HP. They're running 305 hp...not at the wheels...probably more like 270 or so. Your SS, even stock should be at about 305 at the wheels. With a few mods, he could beat you maybe, but based on what he stated he car had, great kill...you deserved it! I raced one on the highway in DFW...my car was bone stock...his was definitely not just by the sound of it. We rolled at about 55mph, and I took him for a run, but then traffic slowed us down. When we got in the clear, at 65, i downshifted into 3rd and waited to see what he would do. He pulled next to me, then floored it without warning. I did the same and stayed right with him. When I hit 4th around 95mph, I started to catch up to him...(his bumper was about 10ft in front of mine) At 110 I was passing him but I had to exit the highway. Long story short, he got the jump on me (not fair), but I still caught up to him and it was even at the end when I left off the gas.
I got a similar story with an 03-04 cobra. I saw him hit the on ramp behind me while I was cruising about 70, he raced up next to me and I slowed down to around 60........I down shift to 2nd and he punches it. By the time I hit the gas, he's a good 2 car lenghts ahead of me. I pull up maybe up to his bumper but couldn't pass. Traffic made me slow down. I was pissed cause my N/A Vette could of beat him I think.........Now I'll never know Haven't seen him since
Old 05-22-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dan03mach
How do you figure they are the same motor as a GT just with DOHC's There is nothing about this motor that is the same as the GT's.. That statement was gay... And yes our Machs are Rated at only 305 hp at the fly, But do you really thing that is what these cars put down.. If you do your very mistaken.. Ford under rated the Machs.. Mine bone stock 0 mods at all put down 289.9rwhp and 311.0 rwtq... You can do the math on that since there is a 15% drive train loss.. I'll go ahead and do it for you that comes out to 332 fwhp.. just a little bit under rated wouldn't you think..
If you ever want to run I'm in Arlington and go to K-Dale all the time..

BTW Chase_Z28 you did very well against that Mach if he had Gears, Exhaust, and tune... When my car only had and O/R X, Catback, 4.10's drop in k&n filter, and 17 ET Streets I was running constant 12.25's at a little over 110 mph.. Stock suspention, and tune... I have alot more mods now and its alot more powerfull now but I haven't gone to the track to get any new times... I will this fall once it cools down some... So great job, If you ever get a chance go to around 110 and see what the out come is.. I would like to know.. I know my car pulls real hard on the upper end..
I understand you are upset being a ford guy and having a Chevy guy mis-read your car. But remember the web address your in. It don't say anything about fords. You are correct about the undrated motor and the difference betweent the 32Valve Mach 1 motor AKA cobra motor, and the 16v GT's. But don't be an ******* to the guy. State your point and leave it at that. Unfortunately you are in Texas and I'm in Washington. I got a Vette that would hand you your ***. N/A...........I have owned mustangs in the past and from experiance, you can't beat the LS1/LS6. Now if Chevy could just adopt the overhead cam concept and run with it!!!!........Game over everyone else.......LOL
Old 05-22-2005, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree, an improved northstar design would be awsome.

and yes you did real well against a mach1 with 4.10 gear.
its sad because when i pull up to one i think.....man im not going to be able to totally destroy this guy.

nice kill
Old 05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I understand you are upset being a ford guy and having a Chevy guy mis-read your car. But remember the web address your in. It don't say anything about fords. You are correct about the undrated motor and the difference betweent the 32Valve Mach 1 motor AKA cobra motor, and the 16v GT's. But don't be an ******* to the guy. State your point and leave it at that. Unfortunately you are in Texas and I'm in Washington. I got a Vette that would hand you your ***. N/A...........I have owned mustangs in the past and from experiance, you can't beat the LS1/LS6. Now if Chevy could just adopt the overhead cam concept and run with it!!!!........Game over everyone else.......LOL

I'm in Washington....
Old 05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LoPeY
I have to disagree with you on this one. About 2 years ago I ran one when I was stock, Dont know what he had, dont care. We went from no more then a 10 mph roll, wasnt a dig. Thru ever gear i pulled about 1/2 to 1 car length on him. No driver error, no excuses. Stock for stock its not a drivers race. Why does everone think it is? TTT Your race sounds about right to me.

P.S. dont respond unless youve raced one k. I dont care about what you heard on the internet.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01SSDRVR
I have to disagree with you on this one. About 2 years ago I ran one when I was stock, Dont know what he had, dont care. We went from no more then a 10 mph roll, wasnt a dig. Thru ever gear i pulled about 1/2 to 1 car length on him. No driver error, no excuses. Stock for stock its not a drivers race. Why does everone think it is? TTT Your race sounds about right to me.

P.S. dont respond unless youve raced one k. I dont care about what you heard on the internet.
So just because you pulled 1, stock for stock, its not going to be a drivers race? How do you know there was no driver error? If you raced 1 2 years ago, you must have raced one of the VERY first Mach's to hit the streets. I doubt it was even broken in yet.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteTXMach
So just because you pulled 1, stock for stock, its not going to be a drivers race? How do you know there was no driver error? If you raced 1 2 years ago, you must have raced one of the VERY first Mach's to hit the streets. I doubt it was even broken in yet.
"I doubt", thats funny. I wont argue that it was new, (so what). Ive seen the guy around town and I remember when he got it. He had a 99+ GT before. There was "NO" driver error. Side by side, windows down, both punch it and I pulled every gear. He did not "miss a gear" or "give me the jump". Im not going to start a pissing war with you. Im going by my own experiences, on the street and at the track. Im not saying your car is slow ok, but stock for stock, my car (2001 SS when it was stock) did not and would not have gotten beat by a stock or lightly modded mach 1.