Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Rod run destination

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rod run destination

Went along with one of the local clubs on a run this weekend. They try to pick an interesting place every week during the summer months and this week was a trip to a drive in at a local airport.
I took my bud along who is also a car nut and also an FAA agent who does accident investigations.
Not my cup of tea.....
Anyway, we had a great drive. A couple of us lined up in town and had a couple of short races and it really was a hoot.
The cafe at the airport was a 50's kind of place with lots of pictures and car models and even the front end of an old 55 chev where the cash register was located.
We picked our seats and a few of us were discussing our cars but I wasn't paying much attention.

I was watching a young fellow taxi up to the gas pumps in an old canvas covered Aronca Champ.
Geeze, I hadn't seen one of those in years but it looked really well preserved.

An Aronca was a 65 horse two seat tandem light aircraft. It looked like a late 40's vintage.
Anyway, the guy gets to the pumps and starts to fuel the plane while I watched.
There were lots of other aircraft around. A couple of business jets and some turbo prop jobs that were also waiting to get fuel.

Anyway, the kid gets done and walks around to the front of the plane and
gives the prop a yank and it starts up with a muffeled put put put.
Damn thing was that it started to move forward.
The twit didn't set the brake.
Even at idle, the plane started to move forward very quickly but the kid was
fast and moved out of the way avoiding getting chopped to pieces.

As the main wing passed him by, he grabbed the struts on the wing and held on tight.
The plane starts going around and around just like some kind of weird merry go round with the kid still holding on.

The plane is passing inches from the closest twin engine business jet and the guy in it's cockpit has a look on his face of shear terror.

Everybody in the cafe is on their feet by this time yelling advice the kid can't hear and my buddy Marv and I are both headed for the door.

By the time we get to the tarmac, one of the mechanics has come running out of the hanger and grabs the same strut the kid is hanging on to allowing him to run up to the cockpit door and jump in and set the brake.

My buddy Marv goes over and talks to the kid and it turns out he only had a student license and no insurance on the plane.

I don't know how it's all going to turn out but I'm thinking the kid must have been blessed with a considerable amount of Irish luck.......
Any more adventures like this I might just join this local club.

Dogtag

Last edited by dogtag; 06-06-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a swell story dogtag. Just swell. The only thing I don't get is "did they have to pay to get into the pie eating contest?"

Oh, wait wrong story.

Still, I'm glad nobody got hurt.