Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 WS-6 vs. 68 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 WS-6 vs. 68 Chevelle

I have a story I would like to share with you all. First, let's go back to the month of May, Mother's day to be exact. I was at my aunt and uncle's house celebrating my papaw's birthday. This was the first day that my dad's side of the family had seen my car since I got the heads/cam etc. work done to my T/A.

Everyone was really impressed by the way it looked, sounded and so on. So I started taking family members for "joy rides" in the car. I'd do one run on the motor, and then one with N20.

Well it comes to the point where my uncle Greg, (owns 2 Chevelles, a 66 and a 68, both 396 ci. and 4spd manuals) says, "I bet that can't take my old 68." I said, "****, are you willing to put money on it?" He then told me to take him down the street in it. So I left with him, went out, ran the nuts off of it. He didn't seem to impressed. He never once said anything.

So we get back to his house and my dad asks him what he thought of the car, and he said, "Well it runs pretty good, but I don't think it will keep up with my 68." I was livid, I told him to get his car out and we'd run 'em. My aunt chimed in that he just got a huge speeding ticket on their way back from Florida a few weeks before and that he didn't need to race. I'm still pissed.

Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend...

It rained that day and I was having issues with my clutch, so I went to the family cookout in my beater car. Same house, same relatives. After a while my uncle asks me where my car is and I told him that I had left it at home, due to the rain, but didn't mention the clutch problem. Well he goes out to his garage and moves his lawn tractor, his 66 Chevelle so he can get to his 68, but left it in the garage for the time being. He comes back down to the pool area and said, "Hey Jaybird, (nickname) do you wanna go for a ride in my 68?" I told him NO. Dad said I should, 'cause he rode in my car, I said NO again. My uncle then said, "Oh come on, let's go for a ride in a REAL car." I said, "If I wanted to ride in a REAL car I would just go to the house and drive mine." So a little later I go to leave and he asked me once more to go for a ride, I told him NO that I had to go, and then I left.

Well aparently, my tactics had worked because yesterday 6-12-05 we had a family reunion. And guess who was there? He didn't speak to me for a long time. I thought, and was hoping, that I had pissed him off because I didn't want to ride in his "Slovelle". Well he came up behind me as I was reading something on the wall of the Community Center, placed his hand on my shoulder pretty firmly and as I turned to see who it was, I heard his voice say, "How's your car running?" I said, "pretty good." He said, "well the first dry day we get, we'll take 'em out and run 'em." I turned and looked at him and I know the smile I gave him was priceless. I said, "yeah sure, the first dry day."

All along he has said that he knows his car will take mine. And even said that it might be close but he thought that even at his old age that he could out shift me and still win.

Father's Day is just a few days away, and we will be having dinner over there. The weather is looking good and dry for now. I think it's time for the "Legend Killer" to take out another Legend.

His ride: 1968 Chevelle 396 (375hp) 4spd. 3:73 rearend
My ride: Mods are in the sig.
This ought to be a whole lot of fun!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

IMO he does not have even a chance.

But I am anxious to hear the results if this happens.

Good luck
Old 06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

the chevelle is cool, but it is a true boat, no a yacht
Old 06-13-2005, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

He's one of those guys that thinks that what he's got is the best, and there is none better (or faster). I'm going to have someone video tape it.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

You are going to absolutely annihalate him if his car is stock, it will be very very comical.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

You will if he is stock, but show some respect to the old school muscle. If you said those things to me about my car especially if it is a Chevelle I would have probably ****** punched you. With an attitude like that you sound like a damn ricer.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm gonna laugh when he's got a ****** built *** 396 with some brodix heads and 14:1 compression and a 300 shot. lol
but good luck, you both sound cocky. i hope this is a friendly matter.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Launching!

you never specified whats done to the chevelle?

maybe you shoulda took a ride in the chevelle to scope out the competition?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck man, I don't think you were being cocky at all, sounds to me like he started it, and you defended yourself. Go smoke his *** and make us proud
Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

That was a real dick thing you did, not taking the ride in his car. Honestly, i hope he's modded up and the 'velle smokes you. You deserve it.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know the whole animosity between you and your uncle, but you shouldn't be a total dick to your family like that (not to mention ricey). You should have taken a ride. They are beautiful cars, and aren't to be taken lightly. The right carb, cam, intake and a little tire, he will hand you your *** on a silver platter. If the Chevelleabu is relativley stock you will destroy him. Big Block Chevy's Make can insane power on stock parts. The rotating assembly will hold way more power stock than the LS1 can dream of. Sounds like you need to learn a little about cars.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let us know how you did.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Ya should've taken that ride, he rode in yours. You can take this any way ya want but you've got an attitudinal problem Bud. That was really a Ricey thing to do, especially to family.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if thats what he really has, then hes in BIG trouble.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GH1086
You will if he is stock, but show some respect to the old school muscle. If you said those things to me about my car especially if it is a Chevelle I would have probably ****** punched you. With an attitude like that you sound like a damn ricer.
I never said anything out of line to him about his Chevelle. I made the "Slovelle" comment in my post just trying to be goofy. I do respect "old school muscle", but I won't show respect to a car's owner, if he can't show any respect to me in return.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
i'm gonna laugh when he's got a ****** built *** 396 with some brodix heads and 14:1 compression and a 300 shot. lol
but good luck, you both sound cocky. i hope this is a friendly matter.
His Chevelle is an all original 68 model, so I should be in good shape. I'm not trying to be a dick, but this "matter" has been going on for years. (An even longer story.)
Old 06-14-2005, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Good luck man, I don't think you were being cocky at all, sounds to me like he started it, and you defended yourself. Go smoke his *** and make us proud
Thanks man.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueSix
That was a real dick thing you did, not taking the ride in his car. Honestly, i hope he's modded up and the 'velle smokes you. You deserve it.
Well my dad asked me last weekend why I didn't go for a ride in his car, and I simply told him that I was trying to be an a$$hole. And my dad laughed and said, "Like him?" You have to know the guy. As for him smoking me...Win (or lose) I'll get the video hosted for all to see.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
I don't know the whole animosity between you and your uncle, but you shouldn't be a total dick to your family like that (not to mention ricey). You should have taken a ride. They are beautiful cars, and aren't to be taken lightly. The right carb, cam, intake and a little tire, he will hand you your *** on a silver platter. If the Chevelleabu is relativley stock you will destroy him. Big Block Chevy's Make can insane power on stock parts. The rotating assembly will hold way more power stock than the LS1 can dream of. Sounds like you need to learn a little about cars.
First let me say, he is my uncle by marriage to my dad's sister, he is not a full blooded relative. If you think the way I acted was ricey or being a "total dick" well I'm not half as bad as he is. As for the Chevelle, it's all original, that's why he bought it. He said the rear has 3:73's but he's not sure. And, I am aware of he capabilties of the older muscle cars. But, I feel insulted that you tell me that I need to learn a little about cars.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
Ya should've taken that ride, he rode in yours. You can take this any way ya want but you've got an attitudinal problem Bud. That was really a Ricey thing to do, especially to family.
WTF? How was that a ricey thing to do? And I have an attitude problem? Okay. Now I do. He asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in his car, I told him no. He then said, "Come on, let's go for a ride in a real car." So granted they don't make cars today like they did in 1968 etc. is it still okay for him to negate from my T/A by saying, "let's go for a ride in a real car"??? By the time he said that, there was no question in my mind, I knew I didn't want to ride with him. I'd say the only reason that he even went down the road with me was to see if it was anything that he would be in competition with. SO he talked his trash when we got back, but when I told him to line 'em up,(the first time on Mother's Day) he wouldn't move it from the garage. And then this past Sunday he's all the sudden ready to race. I think he's got a bit of doubt in his mind on whether or not he can take me out. So now he wants to know the truth (and so do I) so he's decided that we'll race. If I get beat, which (excuse my arrogance) I don't think I will, then the only thing that will **** me off is that he's the one behind the wheel. I have no problem losing to a car like that. I would not have one ounce of shame in my soul to say that I got beat by a 68 Chevelle with a 396 and a 4spd. So to all of you guys that think I'm hating on the "classics", CHILL OUT.