Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Kinda funny story after running Sting Ray

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kinda funny story after running Sting Ray

Well, just going to my shop when I came up to a early 70's Vette at a stop light leaving town. The guy never even looked over at me so I wasn't even going to play. Light turned green and I took off normal, as did he. Next thing u know he takes off, and trys to leave me sitting. I get into it and pull past him still in 1st and grab 2nd w/ his front at my rear tires. Then grab 3rd and let out cause he was done. Well, he follows me to the shop and gets out and is like, what the hell is in that thing. Simply told him a H/C Ls1. Then he was askin about what kind of #'s it had and BLah blah. So I asked him what he had and he was like, a full roller 454 bored 30 thousands w/ a 4 speed. I almost dropped to the ground when he said that. He was pretty disapointed in his car and he claimed just over 500 HP at the crank.

Well, the next day he stops at the shop where I talked to him at and is like, I talked to a guy in town and he told me ur running a turbo on a fully built small block. So I popped the hood and showed him a stock looking LS1 and he was in disbelief that he got walked so badly by a Newer Z28 w/ no power adder. By the way, this was a older guy in his 50's or so I would guess w/ a gutted Sting ray w/ a big block. I'm showing him the dyno sheets next time I run into him just incase he doesn't believe that either. Aparently he doesn't know what some of the newer cars can do these days, well he found out the hard way I guess. Forgot to mention he wants to run from a dig now and see what happens, i will try and have a buddy come w/ to film this one.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Good kill. The older crowd is always amazed when a new car whoops up on them. I had a similer kill with a similer vette one time. Same deal at a stop light. All of a sudden he takes off and his wifes waves bye to me. I pulled up aside them and waved bye bye to them. The look on their faces was priceless.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Nice kill. Weren't the late 70's model 454's rated at like 260 HP at the crank? Just punching it out and throwing rollers in it ain't gonna do the job.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
Nice kill. Weren't the late 70's model 454's rated at like 260 HP at the crank? Just punching it out and throwing rollers in it ain't gonna do the job.
Ummmm, it sure would be pretty stupid to do all that work and not bump the compression back up from it's stock oil-embargo-era ratio.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know what the guy had. I find alot of times they don't know what they have.

"Let me tell you what melbatoast is packin: 4:11 posi out back, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock Intake, it's bored over .030, 11:1 pop up pistons, turbo jet 390 horse power. We're talking some ****** "pause" muscle (with arm pumping goodness).

I'm amazed that some "car guys" don't understand what a BBC is capable of. This guy had a wimpy 454.

Good kill.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
Good kill. The older crowd is always amazed when a new car whoops up on them. I had a similer kill with a similer vette one time. Same deal at a stop light. All of a sudden he takes off and his wifes waves bye to me. I pulled up aside them and waved bye bye to them. The look on their faces was priceless.
i would love to see that one... the oh **** i just screwed up big time
Old 06-22-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Let me tell you what melbatoast is packin: 4:11 posi out back, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock Intake, it's bored over .030, 11:1 pop up pistons, turbo jet 390 horse power. We're talking some ****** "pause" muscle (with arm pumping goodness).
Hey man I know you got this thing out a comic book. I saw the add, two-ninety-five, it's right next to the sea monkeys. You see that over there? That's white lightning. You see the shoes on that thing, you've got to get some tires for this it's a pizza cutter man.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
I don't know what the guy had. I find alot of times they don't know what they have.

"Let me tell you what melbatoast is packin: 4:11 posi out back, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock Intake, it's bored over .030, 11:1 pop up pistons, turbo jet 390 horse power. We're talking some ****** "pause" muscle (with arm pumping goodness).

I'm amazed that some "car guys" don't understand what a BBC is capable of. This guy had a wimpy 454.

Good kill.
Agreed, now that's a 454.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Party at the Moon Tower.