Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced cammed 01 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced cammed 01 WS6

I dont know how I can outrun some of the cars I do. I raced an 01 WS6 with a cam and exhaust going down the freeway, we both dropped to 3rd and took off. I pulled on him pretty good. As far as I know my 02 SS has LT headers, borla catback with offroad y pipe and thats it. Anyone know how I track down the previous owner? I would love to know what all he did to it. I dont think it has been apart at all. I would hate to do a cam if it already has one. I dont think it has been tuned either because I would think he would have deleted the rear o2's (there are simulators and they blink so I assume they are functioning) Any help on how to tell if I have a custom tune, or after market cam, or how to track down a previous owner would be great. The only thing I know is it was a California car. Thanks...
Old 07-17-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

So wait...you don't know what was done to his car and you don't even know whats done to your car but you presume to know this guy's car was a 2001 and that he had a cam??
Old 07-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Default What!?!?

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
So wait...you don't know what was done to his car and you don't even know whats done to your car but you presume to know this guy's car was a 2001 and that he had a cam??
How did you get that out of my post? I know the mods I mentioned on my car by visual inspection, I only bought it a month ago, all mods except the SLP subframe connectors were already done. I also know the guy that has the WS6, he is in a local car club and he told me about the cam he put in.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:30 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

Why don't you dyno your car to see what your SS is putting down? That should give you an idea whether or not there is an aftermarket cam installed.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Whatever you are smoking, I want some.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Default Dyno

Originally Posted by AOC
Why don't you dyno your car to see what your SS is putting down? That should give you an idea whether or not there is an aftermarket cam installed.
I am going to, I am in the Army and dont have alot free time.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Default Smoking?

Whatever you are smoking, I want some.
Well, if you want some of what I am smoking, I will give you a heaping of WS6.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

This is YOUR car that YOU bought and you are asking us whats done to it and how to track down the previous owner? I give you my respect for being in the army in times like these, but you seem to have the intelligence of a box of rocks. As far as the heaping of WS6 comment, I wish you were local b/c my WS6 would love to smoke your ignorant ***
Old 07-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Teching In

This is YOUR car that YOU bought and you are asking us whats done to it and how to track down the previous owner? I give you my respect for being in the army in times like these, but you seem to have the intelligence of a box of rocks. As far as the heaping of WS6 comment, I wish you were local b/c my WS6 would love to smoke your ignorant ***
You attack my level of intelligence just because you didnt understand my question? How the heck am I suppose to know if the guy who owned the car before me did any internal mods without tearing into the engine? I have out run a couple of 03/04 Cobras, and a few C6 Vettes. It is my understanding that with the mods I have that I know of I should not be able to. I do better than outrun them, I smoke them. Did I call you stupid? No, and as far as your "smoke your ignorant ***" comment, I wish you were closer cause I have outrun some really fast cars. Plus I still have some upcoming mods. You really shouldnt take things so seriously, you could give yourself a heart condition.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

wow,
these threads are getting funnier every day.

-the "cobras dont put down 360hp and ls1's dont put down 320hp thread"

-the "I beat a gallardo with only 320hp thread"

-now this?

LS1tech noobs
Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well if you didn't research the car before buying it and if you in fact can't hear an obvious lope compared to other stock LS1's, than the only way to know for sure is to tear into the engine or get a dyno tune, but the tune alone may not reveal it definitely. First thing I would do though is get a dynotune and see where you are at. If you are in the 330-350rwhp range most likely you do not have a cam. 350-360 range will be tough to say b/c there are some factory freaks out there. Anything over 360 but less than 380, you most likely have a smallish cam. Anything above 380rwhp and you have a 224 or bigger cam. As far as tracking down the previous owner, how could we possibly help you with that without knowing anything other than its a california car?? Who did you buy it from & why do you not know who the previous owner is?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you see the car parked on the street and leave money and a note in the wipers saying please leave notarized title in glovebox and keys behind left rear wheel, I wanna buy your car? How do you not know who the previous owner was? I'm sure there's a reasonable explaination that I'm just not seeing?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Well if you didn't research the car before buying it and if you in fact can't hear an obvious lope compared to other stock LS1's, than the only way to know for sure is to tear into the engine or get a dyno tune, but the tune alone may not reveal it definitely. First thing I would do though is get a dynotune and see where you are at. If you are in the 330-350rwhp range most likely you do not have a cam. 350-360 range will be tough to say b/c there are some factory freaks out there. Anything over 360 but less than 380, you most likely have a smallish cam. Anything above 380rwhp and you have a 224 or bigger cam. As far as tracking down the previous owner, how could we possibly help you with that without knowing anything other than its a california car?? Who did you buy it from & why do you not know who the previous owner is?
I bought it from a dealer in OK with 35k on the clock. I am the forth owner, it was originally a lease vehicle from CA. I asked if anyone knew how to track down a previous owner because someone surely knows how, with vin on the internet, gm dealer or somthing. How exectly do you research a used car from a lot? I put it in the air and looked it over completely. I did a car fax, I drove the hell out of it. I spent about six hours looking at it, then another two thinking about it because I drove my last Camaro for 5 years and I look at an automobile as a comitment and intend to drive it for a very long time. A simple question has turned into a debate. I will dyno it and then simply decide if I can make more power with a differant cam and head combo. When I find out how to track down previous owners, I'll post a topic so people know. I just thought somone with a few years on me might be able to point me in the right direction.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See there was a reasonable explaination. But you're prolly gonna have to dig into the car if you suspect mods.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Did you see the car parked on the street and leave money and a note in the wipers saying please leave notarized title in glovebox and keys behind left rear wheel, I wanna buy your car? How do you not know who the previous owner was? I'm sure there's a reasonable explaination that I'm just not seeing?

Dude, you ask some really stupid questions. You didn't once think he bought this car from a dealership? Some people just have no common sense.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way you can beat a cammed ls1 with your listed mods is; if you have a cam as well.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or you sprayed.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jeez, take it easy guys.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Dude, you ask some really stupid questions. You didn't once think he bought this car from a dealership? Some people just have no common sense.

its called sarcasm buddy, and people aren't perfect
Old 07-18-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss02Camaro
Well, if you want some of what I am smoking, I will give you a helping of WS6.

I like this guy.