Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SRT4 wants to go again

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT4 wants to go again

Hey guys, last night i raced a SRT4 that i always see around town in my 5.0 and beat it by about a car. My 5.0 only has CAI,headers,exhaust,camshaft, and 3.55's. Well we kept racing light to light with me always winning by a car or a little bit more. So then I pull into Chevron to get gas and he pulls in also and says Ill race you in a week because my car isnt running right, so i was like sure. Well Ive seen him at the local street races before so I know he is going to be out there. I think that his car is running right and he is just getting something done to it. So my question for you LS1 guys is should i bring my 5.0 out there or my 02' Firehawk to race it? I want to beat him in the 5.0 again but then again i dont want to lose if he gets something done to that SRT4.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

egh take the firehawk and beat him dirty. if he complains.. say hey 'you changed your setup too' or else you wouldn't of wanted to try again tonight. haha
Old 08-09-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

hawk but i may be bias . .if u bring out the hawk im not sure if he will race you .i havent found a srt-4 driver that was willing to line up with me kinda sad ive been wanting to race one. .
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I like your idea Insomz. I think i am going to take the Hawk or just put a 100 shot on the 5.0, haha. Well both ways im gonna smoke the **** out of him.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

ahhh domestic ricers
Old 08-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

All I can say is at least you won. I raced one at the track out here and he kept beating me. We racd a good 5-7 times that night, every time I'd run a 9.3, he'd run a 9.2 (8th mile of course) So next time we go out there, (he is in the same club I am in) I'm gonna have a little something done to beat him....and a few others as well. Have fun, and be safe.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Banned

HAWK baby
Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've got a 100 shot for the 5.0 i would go that route. Although he's more than likely got something up his sleeve for this next race(probably going to up the boost) it's kinda not right to show up in a totally different car than he intended on racing thats just showing your scared if you ask me. If you have the 100 shot avaliable i would go with that if not just take the 5.0 and if you lose you lose then ask if you wants a shot at the hawk next time.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phase1LS1
Hey guys, last night i raced a SRT4 that i always see around town in my 5.0 and beat it by about a car. My 5.0 only has CAI,headers,exhaust,camshaft, and 3.55's. Well we kept racing light to light with me always winning by a car or a little bit more. So then I pull into Chevron to get gas and he pulls in also and says Ill race you in a week because my car isnt running right, so i was like sure. Well Ive seen him at the local street races before so I know he is going to be out there. I think that his car is running right and he is just getting something done to it. So my question for you LS1 guys is should i bring my 5.0 out there or my 02' Firehawk to race it? I want to beat him in the 5.0 again but then again i dont want to lose if he gets something done to that SRT4.
Take the hawk..

Tell him the other car was one you were doing some work on for a friend. He asked to race you so.. That is what he gets.... Either that or swap a deeper rear in the 5.0.

In the DSM the SRT4 guys give up by the time I'm in 2nd. I dont even try for a 1.5-1.6 60 with them I'll save my clutch some wear and still look at a dot in the mirror. They are'nt that fast...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Yah i do have the 100 shot avaliable for the 5.0, so ill think about. Some guy i know in town said that he is getting a downpipe and exhaust done to it, so i dont know how much that is going to help on the SRT4. Im leaning towards taking the Hawk and just dusting him bad.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say bring the hawk!!!!! Although getting killed by a 5.0 would be the ultimate insult to an SRT driver.... most think that when they run into 5.0's its already a loss for a 5.0 . Oh and a Downpipe is very helpful to an SRT.... the stocker really chokes the car... if he is going full exhaust, including a new O2 housing... then he will some great gains.

Sometimes I feel that the SRT isnt given the credit due, and I blame that mostly on the punks that drive it and think its the end all be all of cars.....

SRT's aren't that fast stock, but they are faster than most DSMs stock, and like a DSM wait till you run into one with a good driver and a good set of mods and tune..... There are a few guys that can sink little more than $500 and can give most cat/lid LS1's a good run from a dig or a roll(I say this carefully, I am not indicating that all it takes to beat an Ls1 is $500, but in the right hands definitely a good run), but most people with the basic Stage I, BC, and WGA dont see great gains cause they suck at driving.

Then there are the Stage II guys that have the supporting bolt ons that can cause a lot of heads to turn, as in what the hell is up with that car. Justin Bondurant, has an SRT-4 that holds Gateway Raceway's fastest FWD ET and Trap. When he was a Stage II, bolt on car, he was pulling on Stock pullied cobras(from a ricer roll), with I/E. Now with his stage III he is in the 11's and has beat a few pullied Cobras from a dig. You might say, well thats not that fast, but considering it's humble beginnings as a 14 sec car... thats not too shabby.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phase1LS1
Yah i do have the 100 shot avaliable for the 5.0, so ill think about. Some guy i know in town said that he is getting a downpipe and exhaust done to it, so i dont know how much that is going to help on the SRT4. Im leaning towards taking the Hawk and just dusting him bad.
It helps a lot. The stock exhaust is very restrictive. I had a 20whp increase when I did my 3inch exhaust
Old 08-11-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

It helps turbo spool and turbine wheel efficiency.. On a car with a stock turbo it basically just makes the K&N intake filter claims real... ~25hp.....

He can raise boost etc but will eventually hit fuel cut w stock injectors and pump.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...2&page=1&pp=15

Many many years ago I made more power than that first dyno on a stk T-25 turbo, stock side mount IC and stock exhaust.... Just a K&N, BCS restrict removal/ another free boost increase trick , fuel pump voltage boost and a bunch of other dirt cheap but effective mods.

The turbo back exhaust is a good infrastructure mod as a full 3" turbo back can support alot of hp but it is up to what the exhaust is bolted to to actually make that much exhaust product.

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 08-11-2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
He can raise boost etc but will eventually hit fuel cut w stock injectors and pump.
Yeah that guy at the dyno had the stock ecu, throws an over boost code and cuts fuel if senses boost at 18 psi or higher.

Stage 1 or higher gets you around that
Old 08-11-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Yeah that guy at the dyno had the stock ecu, throws an over boost code and cuts fuel if senses boost at 18 psi or higher.

Stage 1 or higher gets you around that
That is true but.
Nothing he could do with the stock injectors and turbo could hang with the hawk or the 5.0 with some bolt ons or N20.....

The newer ones had bigger injectors from the factory etc.. But the original turbo is the limiting factor.. If this was the 60's it would be a 2bbl carb and a EVO came with a 4bbl.......

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 08-11-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very true. The Stock turbo is a bastardized 16g... in a reverse td04.... Loses efficiency above 19psi.

This guy already had an 04 with the bigger injectors, but still had the handicap of the stick ECU.

Best I have personally seen out of a 04 with no fuel mods, and your basic turbo upgrades and other bolt ons is a 13.8, oddly enough that is the best I have seen a stock SRT go as well. Best I have read of with no fuel mods and basic turbo upgrades and other bolt ons has ranged from 13 flat to mid 13's.

I say he would be a good run for the 5.0, might pull even... but no way a match for the hawk. Only way is to really do a stage II.

To check for stage II ask him to pull his injector cover. If it is a color other than pink or blue, then chances are he has Stage II. Also if you know what a WGA is... look to see if it threaded. Also another tell tale sign of a boost upgrade.

Pink is the 03 stock injector color, blue is Stage I or stock 04,05 injectors
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flash12t
hawk but i may be bias . .if u bring out the hawk im not sure if he will race you .i havent found a srt-4 driver that was willing to line up with me kinda sad ive been wanting to race one. .
You should head to the CA Speedway... there are plenty there to race. What kind of times do you run?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

They see the FMIC and hear PTE from somebody and they wont stage next to me either.